is Beam+Beam Combo broken?

Reaction score
    I have not found anything on this so it may just be in my game but I have a 5km sector size and long range beams that should travel 7500m, according to the weapons detail, which they do, however they do no damage beyond 3000m, which seems to be the same as a beam cannon combo. I tested this by logging in a second computer and shooting at myself at various ranges, and the beam beam combo had no better range than the beam cannon combo for damage. Mind you the beams still reach 7500m however beyond 3000m range you can pass through them without being damaged.

Also I have made no changes to the standard server files other than sector size increase, day length extension, and speed capt upped to 150m/s. However both target and shooter where in the same sector (except for the extreme range test) and standing still for the tests.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It's not something that can be fixed by config stuff.

Your client needs to register the cursor as being over a block to make a hit, I think. Something weird like that. Gets screwed over by chunk loading, rendering, block seams, something. Not sure what exactly.

Reaction score
    That may be it. However, I was getting hit, but the beams pass through at a range greater than about 2900, I never had to have a cursor contact, I used a 53x53 beam grid that hit fine at that range without targeting myself directly, but at a greater range it just passes though the ship without even making contact with the blocks it passes though. I did notice that at a greater range it was not possible to get a green cursor even against planets. However, it did register as hitting the planet and the planets hp dropped. Although in that case the planets hp could drop below 0 into negative hp without exploding. I had to move within the 3km range to actually destroy a planet.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    That may be it. However, I was getting hit, but the beams pass through at a range greater than about 2900, I never had to have a cursor contact, I used a 53x53 beam grid that hit fine at that range without targeting myself directly, but at a greater range it just passes though the ship without even making contact with the blocks it passes though. I did notice that at a greater range it was not possible to get a green cursor even against planets. However, it did register as hitting the planet and the planets hp dropped. Although in that case the planets hp could drop below 0 into negative hp without exploding. I had to move within the 3km range to actually destroy a planet.

It has to do with rendering and block seams, I think - planet cores are solid meshes, which is why they're a guaranteed hit.

I'm thinking that beam hit detection may be clientside.

Reaction score
    It has to do with rendering and block seams, I think - planet cores are solid meshes, which is why they're a guaranteed hit.

I'm thinking that beam hit detection may be clientside.
    ah ok that makes sense then, thank you. Do you think upping my render distance would increase the range then to where it should be?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    ah ok that makes sense then, thank you. Do you think upping my render distance would increase the range then to where it should be?
    No, it wouldn't.
    Render range has nothing to do with it.