Ion vs Overdrive

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm building a ship with a large laser cannon designed to do heavy run&gun damage to a bigger ship. It flies at high speeds towards the enemy ship, fires a single powerful attack, and then flies off quickly, at which point a larger allied ship will come and finish off the now weakened enemy with fewer risks.

I'm wondering whether I should use the Ion effect or the Overdrive effect to deal as much damage as possible. I know Overdrive can get x3 damage, but how much of a damage bonus can Ion get?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ion merely increases shield damage while decreasing block damage by a proportionate amount. However a laser can only hit one block with its damage so it only needs to do enough hull damage to kill hardened hull. Really what you want to do is compare energy economy and damage for both options for your ship size. The larger the weapon the more ion you can go but if you can manage to get enough energy for 2x damage overdrive then the ion bonus will be less regardless since the ion cannot do more than x2 shield damage.

TLDR Overdrive if you have the energy for it. Ion with enough hull damage left to kill hardened hull otherwise.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Last time I played, there was no reason to use Ion with Beams when Overdrive exists, since the energy requirements for beams are close to nil anyways.

Reaction score
    as of .159 OverDrive > Ion (Stop on turrets also seems retardedly effective)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you use overdrive don't be surprised when this ship can no longer fire the beams when the beam power consumption bug finally gets fixed.

Reaction score
    But OP states that the purpose of the Beam, is more of a first strike and "gtfo" type of design. So as long as the Power Storage is great enough to fire the Overdrive beam, it shouldn't be an issue. (Without considering other unknown factors such as the RoF vs Energy Recharge. Also, docked ships can act like generators to break the 1mil soft cap.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you use overdrive don't be surprised when this ship can no longer fire the beams when the beam power consumption bug finally gets fixed.
    Is it actually a bug? It's been known about since v.15 dropped and hasn't been addressed, when it's an easy config change. Maybe it's little energy on purpose?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Is it actually a bug? It's been known about since v.15 dropped and hasn't been addressed, when it's an easy config change. Maybe it's little energy on purpose?
    It is most definitely a bug and you can tell by how big of a difference there is between cannons and lasers

"The Power consumed was 50 and the damage dealt was 200. That's .25E per 1DMG. The current power:dmg ratio for every other gun (afaik) is 10E per 1DMG making laser power consumption 40 times more efficient than any other weapon in the game."

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    And the "fun" thing is that on real life it should be way more inefficient compared to cannons because of energy lost as heat

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    "Resolved" usually means that the issue is fixed. My mistake.