Ion and punch through modules?

Reaction score
    I think there is some weird behavior with the ion and punch through modules not increasing the dmg taken by the blocks/shields.
    When i have the ion computer active the blocks take the same dmg as though it were off and and the shield dmg is cut by half. I believe the same is happening with punch through as blocks are receiving less dmg but the shield isnt receiving more. So the ships arent being penalized like its said in the description are they?

Reaction score
    wait what?, Ion shouldn't halve damage to shields, it should increase the damage quite a lot, but it should reduce damage to blocks. And punch through only effects blocks, it has no good or bad special effect on shields at all. You may have just worded this weird because I'm not sure I get what your saying, for me all the weapon effects work fine.

Reaction score
    When you use the ion effect computer by itself and turn it on....the shield dmg you take is halved if you have enough ion blocks, like as though you shields were hardened. In the description it says blocks will take more dmg since your shield takes less but im not seeing a penalty. think radar jammer but it improves your shielding signifigantly...but yeah when you attach an ion to a weapon system your dmg towards shields would get increased and you block dmg is decreased.

Reaction score
    Hmm, I did try all effects on shielded and non shielded targets, but for some stupid reason I never recorded that data, and I can't say I recall exactly how it all translated, I'm gonna have to grab my friend and do a bunch of testing regarding using effects defensively, and this time record the data. I do recall in my original tests that it is best to use two seperate weapons for shield and hull, one to crack shields using ion for example, then another to demolish hull like punch through or explosive, you lose a lot of space on your ship but the trade off makes up for it, I have a large ship that does 9 million shield damage in 2 seconds and it's not that big of a weapon system, then a beam master and cannon slave with explosive that just shreds hull. I killed my friend's beloved (And he thought invincible) battleship in about 5 seconds with it.

A nice thing about Ion effect is that it does not increase power consumption, just takes up space, this makes Ion a must have for power hungry ships. I just can't recall how well it affects hull, if it really does do less on hull, or if the defensive variant works as intended.