Rejected Invincible Docking Stations

Reaction score
    In order to encourage factions to branch out, and maybe for individuals who want to keep their ships safe without increasing faction spam, I propose making invincible stations where ships can be docked.

Some stipulations though.

1. Turrets docked to the station will not be able to fire.
    2. These stations will not be able to own systems.

That's all there is to it really. Just a safeish place to hold your ships and stuff. Maybe make them free to own, unlike the currently expensive (barring servers that start people with like 5 million credits) stations.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In order to encourage factions to branch out, and maybe for individuals who want to keep their ships safe without increasing faction spam, I propose making invincible stations where ships can be docked.

Some stipulations though.

1. Turrets docked to the station will not be able to fire.
    2. These stations will not be able to own systems.

That's all there is to it really. Just a safeish place to hold your ships and stuff. Maybe make them free to own, unlike the currently expensive (barring servers that start people with like 5 million credits) stations.
    just wtf.....
    just a some way bigger stipulations:
    abuse of stations
    warp gates
    warp gates
    you suggested this for warp gates
    mining
    exualy almost everything
    this is the weirdest suggestion ive ever seen, a homebase is called homebase because its safe and a base and A HOME IS SAFE
    now suggesting invincible free stations............ turrets may not work, but logic does, so does a factory still work.
    you can do everything you want, and there is totaly no advantage of this, stations are vincible because there must be risk not because they didn't thought of making stations invinicible. you are just trying to suggest something in your favour, if you want warp gates, make them with either alt factions or real stations, dont waste your time on such a no-go suggestion

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As much as I encourage the use of multiple stations, this is the wrong way to go about doing it. It detracts from faction warfare and makes defenses a joke. Why even bother not having an invincible base to dock to?

Stations need a buff to make them inherently stronger and safer. You want to keep the baddies away, not run to a 3 block station when you are being hunted.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As much as I encourage the use of multiple stations, this is the wrong way to go about doing it. It detracts from faction warfare and makes defenses a joke. Why even bother not having an invincible base to dock to?

Stations need a buff to make them inherently stronger and safer. You want to keep the baddies away, not run to a 3 block station when you are being hunted.
    thats the more polite way of saying it :P

Reaction score
    Warp gates are an oversight, I wouldn't want to make invincible warp gates. As for factories and respawners maybe or maybe not. I'm not sure. The ease with which someone can park an ai ship and blockade an invincible station balances them. But we could go farther, make power generators docked or on an invincible station stop working. ships that undock would have to regenerate their shields. turrets wouldn't work because they didn't have power. Ditto for factories and warpgates. I don't think that it would have the blanket statement that it would "detract from faction warfare" or "make defenses a joke."

I didn't play much Eve online, but to my knowledge most stations in high and low sec at least gave players an invincible place to dock ships. To my knowledge that mechanic doesn't detract from faction warfare in Eve. I don't even know how you can make such a statement when faction warfare barely exists within the current mechanics of starmade. In my experience there's nothing much to detract from at this point.

Reactions: kiddan

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I didn't play much Eve online, but to my knowledge most stations in high and low sec at least gave players an invincible place to dock ships. To my knowledge that mechanic doesn't detract from faction warfare in Eve. I don't even know how you can make such a statement when faction warfare barely exists within the current mechanics of starmade. In my experience there's nothing much to detract from at this point.
    Don't rip ideas straight from EvE, especially if it is something that isn't really wanted. If an admin wanted a safe place for people to dock their ships, they could set protected sectors with docking stations.

This just kills any hope for future uses for stations. The only reason you'd want a 2nd base is for docking space or tactical positioning, which you suggest to make invincible (not to mention they would be user defined, so it's be stations right next to each other of opposing factions).

Reaction score
    But one station is all that can ever really be docked to safely, so players have to make a backwards journey every time. They can't project force at all at this point. People need more flexible places to log out, or else the universe can be nothing more than insular.

Maybe there's a better way than what I said to encourage this mechanically, but it's still miles above the status quo.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the admins already have most of the tools to achieve this. I haven't tested any of this but in theory it should work. But the admin would have to set it all up.

Spawn faction station with faction permitted dock points.

Change its faction of selected entity to trade guild
    /faction_set_entity -2

Set selected structure as protected like a trade shop
    /structure_set_vulnerable false

Set the sector to be protected so no can attack
    /sector_chmod x y z + protect

Of course this doesn't stop someone camping the sectors around it. Also I'm not completely sure if the ships can't be stolen by anyone or are protected as well. Someone with more experience would have to know or test it.

Reaction score
    I think the admins already have most of the tools to achieve this. I haven't tested any of this but in theory it should work. But the admin would have to set it all up.

Spawn faction station with faction permitted dock points.

Change its faction of selected entity to trade guild
    /faction_set_entity -2

Set the sector to be protected so no can attack
    /sector_chmod x y z + protect

Of course this doesn't stop someone camping the sectors around it. Also I'm not completely sure if the ships can't be stolen by anyone or are protected as well. Someone with more experience would have to know or test it.
    If that works, it would be nice to have this in a more compact feature that combined those commands to something like /make_safe_dock, though a wrapper could probably do that

Reaction score
    The protected neutral intermittently placed docking stations would be better. It gives neutrals cover and warring factions infrastructure to exert control over but not ownership of. I hope it catches on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I am not really believing this would work in a game like starmade for the reason that people would abuse this. They would just bump you out of the area and cripple you from inside the protection bubble and prevent you from entering until you are destroyed and reap the benefits, believe me, this has happen in Minecraft and StarMade for me personally. Another thing is that people will hide in their until they leave or go offline from boredom, that too has happened to me. With invulnerable home bases right now, people will just camp inside until their turrets, which might be weak, but are invulnerable as well, do the grunt work for them. I understand where you are coming from wanting the ability for someone to have viable conquest, but it can not be solved from having something that is going to be used by people that would exploit it to gain unfair advantage. For now, be happy with a invincible home base and warp gates/jump drives, they are life savers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    People are going on about how this would be abused, etc.

But at this point, you don't see any factions with more than one base. It just isn't fun, you can't ever do any real damage. Everything is invincible. And that's with one station. Making more invincible stations is a great way to ruin the game even more.

I think that there should be no invincible stations. I think that faction homebases should have a multiplicative bonus of shields x Faction Points. So if you have 1000 homebase shields and 1000 faction points, your homebase shields can take 1 mil. damage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not sure of the mechanics but if the dock point has a faction permission block allowing public access. Does docking a ship at a public dock point change the faction of that ship automatically? If it does you won't be able to jump back into your ship unless maybe you can access the faction block.

If docking doesn't change faction ownership of the docked ship then no one else should be able to jump into it and fly it away. If your not in a faction though in theory anyone should be able to jump into your ship and fly away with it.

I'm also quite certain someone will figure out a way to exploit this. Any game where you have a large number of new or solo players congregating is generally where the griefers would be.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435365438,1435364992][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually I was thinking more of invulnerable jump gate station network rather than docking area. That way no one can abuse docking mechanics. The systems the jump gate stations are in are protected sectors. Allowing people especially new players to spread out more.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This command does not really work as you would expect; the invulnerability only persists as long as the sector is loaded. Unless that was fixed and I don't know about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm would being set to a trade guild faction and being a station make it invulnerable anyway?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    We'll look at more ways to encourage building more stations and methods of keeping them safe, getting that balance is important, but invulnerable stations isn't the answer. With there being too many conditions of this can't be done or this can't be done, it detracts from the whole station building experience.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm would being set to a trade guild faction and being a station make it invulnerable anyway?
    Uh, not as far as I know, no, it would just be a regular station factioned to the Trading Guild. Just protect the entire sector and you'll be fine.

Reaction score
    I wouldn't be against Trade Guild ran docking stations with invulnerability, to give solo players an option other than making a one man faction, but factions expanding should involve a risk. I would rather have AI improvements etc for giving factions ways to defend their outposts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I would prefer this only if that the ship, when it is docked to a public station, would have only admins and and the pilot that dock it would be able to remove the docking and release that signature, though I have no idea how this would be stored as.