Inventory Overhaul

Reaction score
    Right now, we have a very Minecraft-style inventory in which both the player and chests have a specific number of "slots," and those slots can contain exacly one item stack.

While this makes sense for Minecraft, where different items have different "stack" limitations and no stack can exceed size 64, in Starmade you can stack items into the thousands and beyond. It doesn't make sense that I can have 10,000 cubic meters of Reinforced Grey Hull in my inventory, but if I try to carry more than 45 individual types of flowers, leaves, protein, and microchips, I run out of space.

Therefore, I propose that Starmade switch to a more traditional RPG style inventory system. Instead of a grid of items, we should have a list of them with unlimited length. If limits are deemed necessary for balance, it should be based on the total mass of the objects we are carrying rather than the number of different item types.

This should apply primarily to the player's main inventory. Plexstorage may continue to be grid-based so that there is a reason to have more than one plexstorage block, but could also adapt the new style if a mass limit is applied to them. Obviously the "action bar" must still have slots, but there's no reason items can't be dragged to action bar slots from an inventory list.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I find that proposal very logical. I like this idea, but I have to agree with your second variation of it, where the amount of stuff you carry is limited by the items\' mass.