Introduction to ship building!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Introduction to ship building!

1. Make sure you have all the resources you need.
    In sandbox mode, use /give_credits [name] [amount] to get credits to buy ONE of everything you need, then use /Give_all_items [name] [amount] to get lots of everything you just bought plus a few extras.

2. Plan your craft!
    You will want to plan ahead! Get a basic idea of what you want your ship to look like. Either draw it, use a reference image or have a vague idea of what you want the finished product to look like in your mind.

3. Start building!
    Personally I like to start with dimensions first, then I work on the systems, hull, interior and decoration then second armor layer.

Lets try this way:
    - Start with a scaffold of your ship. Mark out where each deck will be, your engine room, control room, weapons room, docking spaces, turret spaces and system spaces will be. Use a very visible block, White hull is good for this stage.
    - Start filling in the systems. If you get your systems done first, it is much easier to wrap a hull around it nicely so it fits. Make sure all your weapons are linked properly to their respective computers.
    It is a good idea to make sure your thrusters and weapons are powered properly at this time. Give your ship a test drive!
    - Start building a skeleton of your ship, 'Support beams' I find that grey hull is good for this, and makes for a cool effect when you actually take damage.
    - Layer a 'skin' of hardened hull of your color choice over the skeleton, so that the grey hull is BEHIND the skin.
    - Add a second layer of hardened hull if you feel it is needed.
    - Start work on the interior of your ship (If you have an interior) Don’t be scared to add decoration!
    - Add finishing touches, external lighting, docking bays, turret docks, doors and windows.

SAVE YOUR WORK! Be sure to save your work before you fly it off to the nearest pirate base.
    I've lost many great ships because of this!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is my style, tough not that deep, doesnt really need to be, if you just have the feeling of creating something. Funny, I taught of a line of wisdom right now.

Your ship is the face of your inspiration fighting for expression.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is just an introduction for those that have no idea about where to start for a larger ship. Of course they can do it however they like, i just though it would be handy to have a written method of building.