Interstellar Weaponry

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    Interstellar Weaponry
    Is there any possible way to create a weapon that can shoot across a star system or two?
    A AI torpedo? A big gun? No I don't mean shooting across the very edge of a system to another system's blocks that are only 1k away.
    I mean big bad weapons that shoot all across one system into another or more.
    Do these weapons exist? Are they super devastating?
    Are these weapons planned (probs not)
    Is this a solution to bloody home-basers?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are lots of optimizations in place in the game that will make Interstellar weaponry impossible to use. Foremost: sectors that do not have players near them are saved and removed from memory; events in these unloaded are frozen in time, including logic or a torpedo drifting through space.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Eventually you'll be able to order fleets to fly to other systems and attack.
    You can already order fleets to fly to other systems and attack by directing them to attack a sector in that other system. They will then attack anything within range from there. If what you mean is 'attack the system itself', then yes, I think this will be a later mechanic.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    There are lots of optimizations in place in the game that will make Interstellar weaponry impossible to use. Foremost: sectors that do not have players near them are saved and removed from memory; events in these unloaded are frozen in time, including logic or a torpedo drifting through space.
    This...

For further the explanation: if you take, for example; an AI guided torpedo and make it a fleet, then send it to an enemy system to attack. The following problems will arise,

- With no player present the target sector/system is not yet loaded. You can't kill what hasn't spawned yet.
    - With YOU not present in the system, you can't control what (if anything) the weapon attacks.
    - At that far a distance there is no way to aim at a specific target since coordinates only narrow down the enemy sector and not the entities in the sector.

A Novalith Cannon, Dreadnought or similar strategic weapon would be nice but unfortunately, such a thing exceeds this game's current capabilities.

Ummm Schine!? :eek:

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    If you want interstellar weaponry, rig an auto-jump-drive to some warhead torpedoes and release them (Jump range) number of sectors away. Or, even better, fleet them, and send them at the non-home-based station/fleet/whatever. Then wait til somebody drops by, and voila, instant chaos.

Reactions: Calhoun
    Reaction score
    I imagine the future virtualization of all fleet activity will make strategic weapons viable. At least I hope so...

I like big guns too :)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Currently all you can do is set up some AI torpedos as a fleet, as long as you fire them at a target sector that is actually loaded by another player (likely the target of your attack) they will load back in upon reaching it and hopefully hit the target.

Reaction score
    in the spirit of the fog of war update. intersteller spy/tracking tech is in order. its not exciting sending your fleet to a homebase to grief newbies.

Reaction score
    As Madman said, roving bombs. Also, order a couple destroyers on in and when the enemy base stops showing up on the map, bring them home. Pre-scouted base of course, you have to send the correct amount of firepower. When they load up next, they will find themselves under fire. Significant amounts of fire, in fact.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thread necromancy? I'm down for that! (y)

How about an interstellar ballistic missile (ISBM) guided by a target-painting scout ship?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Works for me. Target anything within your field of active vision. It's probably more sensible for interplanetary warfare than huge, expensive ships.

Would need a solid counter; some kind of station or planet based defense system that could intercept these things.

Reactions: Dire Venom