Read by Schine Interial Dampening

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ships in StarMade fly like mobile turrets, unless you hold the strafing keys for the opposing direction.
    My proposition is to add a function to the thrust menu that automatically tries to use some thrust to oppose all none-forward movement, to make the ship fly "on rails" like a plane.

A (terrible) visualiztion of how ships fly when you just turn without strafing:
    without.png

And now with automatic compensation:
    with.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    So more like you are in the sea then in space. Honestly I am not opposed to this, but the realists out there will be.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So more like you are in the sea then in space. Honestly I am not opposed to this, but the realists out there will be.
    The idea behind inertial dampening (in this sense) is that you use some of your thrust to automatically correct your trajectory - meaning it costs power and is more useful if you have more engines.

Besides, there's already a config option for space friction, which totally isn't a thing.

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The idea behind inertial dampening (in this sense) is that you use some of your thrust to automatically correct your trajectory - meaning it costs power and is more useful if you have more engines.
    That's exactly what I mean, its not like you can't already do this manually; but it would be really nice if it could be automatic. This game draws a lot from other space sims, why not have an option for similar flight?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    crap, I am a realist so convince me.
    Don't really get the difference between version 1 and 2, version 1 is an incomplete version of version 2 the only difference is how big the half circle is and the orientation of the ship.
    In version 2, the suggestion version, how would that work player input wise? I can't figure out how a player would use this inertia dampening.

Tag or quote me for a faster response.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    crap, I am a realist so convince me.
    Don't really get the difference between version 1 and 2, version 1 is an incomplete version of version 2 the only difference is how big the half circle is and the orientation of the ship.
    In version 2, the suggestion version, how would that work player input wise? I can't figure out how a player would use this inertia dampening.

Tag or quote me for a faster response.
    I don't know that inertial damping is the right term for this...

You know how when you fly forward and turn you keep going in the original direction? What the OP suggests is using your ships thrusters automatically to change the direction you're flying to match the way your nose is pointing. It's a nice feature if it's toggle able. Many space sims use this as a default and deactivating it is called "Shelton sliding."

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Press shift

It'll apply opposite thrust in all directions but the one you're actively going in, and will keep you going straight (assuming you have enough thrust). It essentially does exactly what you want.

You can also go in the thrust menu and turn on automatic dampening. That will add a friction to all directions and keep you going straight even more than just pressing shift (since that is limited to your thrust). However, it also applies friction in the direction you're going, so you won't accelerate as fast.

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Press shift

I know...
    I mean so that it uses full throttle to oppose it, right now it barely helps. If you press a strafe key it is much more effective at negating movement, which tells me the pressing shift doesn't use full throttle.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I know...
    I mean so that it uses full throttle to oppose it, right now it barely helps. If you press a strafe key it is much more effective at negating movement, which tells me the pressing shift doesn't use full throttle.
    Did you re-allocate thrust? Because in that case then yes. Pressing shift applies 33% thrust in all directions, doesn't matter if you changed your thrust settings or not. If you didn't there wouldn't be a difference. I'll ask the devs if it's planned to have the settings affect the shift key as well (probably)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Press shift

It'll apply opposite thrust in all directions but the one you're actively going in, and will keep you going straight (assuming you have enough thrust). It essentially does exactly what you want.
    Nope. Just tried it.

First I tried normal flight, followed by holding shift. No difference. This is because it's just the old space breaks from pre-thrust changes. Just slows you down at some arbitary rate based on thrust count if you're not holding any keys down.

Then I tried actually countering movement myself with the thrusters, and got what OP wanted. This is not implemented as the tag says

*edit*

And autodampners are not a solution either. That is just ye-olde space friction copy pasted, so while it does kinda do this, the effect is tiny and slows you down when accelerating

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nope. Just tried it.

First I tried normal flight, followed by holding shift. No difference. This is because it's just the old space breaks from pre-thrust changes. Just slows you down at some arbitary rate based on thrust count if you're not holding any keys down.

Then I tried actually countering movement myself with the thrusters, and got what OP wanted. This is not implemented as the tag says

*edit*

And autodampners are not a solution either. That is just ye-olde space friction copy pasted, so while it does kinda do this, the effect is tiny and slows you down when accelerating
    Yea, it slows you down with 33% thrust. Basically it's unaffected by thrust settings, so it can either be better or worse than thrusting by hand.

Edit: You're right, I had images disabled on my phone so I didn't see the illustration.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Flight assist in ED or inertial dampeners from SE. Yes pls.

Reaction score
    I really think this is a good idea. Even if its not realistic, in my opinion it will make flying a lot more fun, like in e.g. elite dangerous as therimmer96 pointed out. And to not make realists flip their shit, it could be an extra option in the thrust menu, e.g. automatic compensation dampeners or somthing...

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really think this is a good idea. Even if its not realistic, in my opinion it will make flying a lot more fun,
    Yes, I believe that StarMade isn't a game about being realistic; it's just fun. Sometimes fun is better than realism.

Also, I wonder why they made shift only use 33% thrust?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    What this really boils down to is adjusting the thrust system so that dedicating all thrust to forward/back achieves what you want. The thrust system is already in need of adjustment since it was implemented and more so with mass changes. This to me is more of a balance issue than a need for a new preset/feature.