Interchangeable parts.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey folks,

I've been trying to come up with a way to make interchangeable parts on a grid using the copy paste system. I want to make hallways, rooms, stairs, elevators all on the starmade 1m block grid. The catch is that I want everything to fit together. That is to say I want a set of standard sizes for rooms, hallways, etc. in (x,y,z) format that (almost) always fit together. For instance look at Time Splitters 2 map creator. There were a ton of shapes for hallways and adapters to make everything fit together. The smallest unit was a 1x1x1 corner/hallway/ etc. FTL also has a system for what I'm talking about but in 2D. I'm curious if this might be possible in starmade.

I'd need an efficient naming convention and a "base" amount of blocks on a side of one unit. I could imagine the smallest hallway unit being 5x5x5 blocks. I might name this something like HW_1x1x1 or something. A longer hallway might be HW_1x1x2 which would be 5x5x10 blocks. There would then have to be standard door sizes. Maybe d would be a 5x5 door, D would be a 5x10 door, and DD would be a 5x15 door.

one problem I run into is degeneracies. For example an elbow hallway could bend left or right and the doors might not be on the same sides.

Has anybody any experience in making a system like this? I know what I wrote is kinda convoluted, but I don't know the word for what I am looking for.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd go for a corridor hight of 3 inside, 5m total because of USD docks and floor/ceiling decoration.

I would use 5x5x5 as your 1x1x1 and make bigger rooms exactly 10x10x10 or 15x15x15.

Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    There is a few templates already available to use on the dock. I think you should start to take a look here and then do yours using the same dimensions. Iirc it started to be standardized and all share the same size between each others.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There may be similar template sets, but this one, the SCF Modular Interior Pack, really impressed me. Lots of effort went into having pleasing rooms and halls that all snapped together well. I was especially impressed with how you could make Big Rooms (tm) from parts, and how there are red lights with activation modules in every hallway, to hook up logic "red alert" or "emergency lighting" as needed. The airlock is the only template that doesn't fit in the vanilla 10x10 build size. Highly recommended.