Read by Schine Inter-Server Warp Gate/Drive

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hi Guys,

Recently I've been learning how to setup Warp gates and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to be able to warp to another server."

The idea would be to setup your normal warp gate, but instead of using the marker beam, enter actual destination coordinates and server IP or FQDN.

Then while you warp, the blueprint of you ship or entity is uploaded to the destination server for you to then exit the warp gate on that server.

The TV show Stargate Universe kind of inspired this idea, when I started reminiscing about the Stargate shows.

Having such an ability would give game play the ability to universe jump.

Perhaps a universe jump drive could be engineered also. Which reminds me of the game Elite actually. Actually, that reminds me that game had multiverse capability. I use to enjoy jamming the Hyperspace drive to drop out into E-space where the Thargoids lived. Ah, memories. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah.. no. This could, and would, be abused. besides, it would pose a significant problem for the client when attempting to communicate with the new server. Also, in order for this to happen, the old server would have to essentially delete your old character before transferring it to a new server.

It's one thing to transfer players around in a tightly controlled networking environment, but totally another to transfer a character from one server to another over the internet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I can see this happening as a mod in the future but i think it should be admin only.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    probably as some sort of server plugin

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ah.. no. This could, and would, be abused. besides, it would pose a significant problem for the client when attempting to communicate with the new server. Also, in order for this to happen, the old server would have to essentially delete your old character before transferring it to a new server.

It's one thing to transfer players around in a tightly controlled networking environment, but totally another to transfer a character from one server to another over the internet.
    You wouldn't need to delete anything. I don't see it any different from doing the following process;
    • save blueprint of entity you're in, at server & local
    • perhaps destroy entity, but surely the Schine guys could integrate some kind of temporary cache to store the entity for the return trip.
    • close down your client, thus disconnecting from source server
    • restart client, connecting to the destination server
    • upload blueprint from local cache to destination server
    • spawn at destination coordinates already in core of entity
    Naturally, the process would have to be paired and there would have to be an existing gate at the destination.
    If there is nothing, then you would not be able.
    In the case of a jump drive scenario, it would need to be an admin controlled event. In other words, the server would have to allow it and if it didn't then no jump.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436226819,1436226682][/DOUBLEPOST]Personally, I would love to be able to jump around my own servers. I have dev, test and production servers running at home. Sadly, I have to go through the whole palava of logging into my servers individually and then uploading my test blueprints etc.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    The balance issue here is some servers are very easy compared to others and if a gate was made between them there would be a major economic crash and suddenly chaos.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The balance issue here is some servers are very easy compared to others and if a gate was made between them there would be a major economic crash and suddenly chaos.
    Yes, that too :) Keep the aliens out. Multi-universe rifts are always a bad thing in sci-fi, after all.... and a source of epic space battles and rift gate camping.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's no different from people being members of multiple servers. It's all governed by the admins of each server.
    I fail to see the issue.
    Balance would be irrelevant, because each server has its own rules. If you don't have credit or resources in the destination server, then it would be only the individual that can transport there without any structure. Simple logic checking by however the system is written would determine whether you can jump or not, and could naturally display an appropriate message like, "Jump refused due to resource issues."

If done right, as nightwalker_007 mentioned, it would introduce new challenges.

The inter-server gate capability would be optional like using your client to log into multiple servers.

My friends and I would make good use of such a gate, to transport between each others servers. Even if it was avatar only, it would make swapping to other servers easier.

Last edited:

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It's no different from people being members of multiple servers. It's all governed by the admins of each server.
    I fail to see the issue.
    There's one critical difference- resources. Unless no ships, inventory items or other assets can be transported anywhere (in which case using an in-game structure to log off and onto another server seems kind of redundant to me), allowing transport between two servers means merging their economies, strategic environment and playerbase. Thus, we must treat it like so- allowing travel between two servers is effectively making them into one server.

Of course, there's nothing inherently wrong with this. I, for one, love the idea of two admins connecting their servers into a multiverse, as long as the authority to so is only with the admins. Giving the authority to players is, in effect, merging all servers everywhere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Honestly the main reason for this is to allow the sharding of one server, after all after a certain amount of people on one server it can get rather laggy. But also making multiple servers a part of one greater starmade universe would be pretty cool as well wouldn't it?

A system to make factions persistant across servers for those who opt in is being worked on, if character data could be given the same treatment on an opt-in basis serverside or schine-side then this is certainly possible if not the most practical solution.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Honestly the main reason for this is to allow the sharding of one server, after all after a certain amount of people on one server it can get rather laggy. But also making multiple servers a part of one greater starmade universe would be pretty cool as well wouldn't it?

A system to make factions persistant across servers for those who opt in is being worked on, if character data could be given the same treatment on an opt-in basis serverside or schine-side then this is certainly possible if not the most practical solution.
    Yes, opt-in is where I'm heading. If it was not enabled by the admin of the server and economies/factions/resources were not aligned then it's a no brainer, it just won't happen. But if you did, you could have some really interesting game play.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436301887,1436301824][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There's one critical difference- resources. Unless no ships, inventory items or other assets can be transported anywhere (in which case using an in-game structure to log off and onto another server seems kind of redundant to me), allowing transport between two servers means merging their economies, strategic environment and playerbase. Thus, we must treat it like so- allowing travel between two servers is effectively making them into one server.

Of course, there's nothing inherently wrong with this. I, for one, love the idea of two admins connecting their servers into a multiverse, as long as the authority to so is only with the admins. Giving the authority to players is, in effect, merging all servers everywhere.
    I agree, the authority would always need to be with the admin. Can't have random users creating gateways to other universes/servers. :)

Reaction score
    probably as some sort of server plugin
    A lot of games have toyed with the idea of inter-server portals, and none that I know of have managed to implement it so far.
    I doubt this is ever going to happen, even less so as "some sort of server plugin", as much as I would love to be proved wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've no proof whatsoever to back it up, but I had thought that eve online was constructed with each solar system being an independent server, which communicates with every other.

I do think, as a cooperative action between two server Admins, that this would be an interesting experiment, as would factions and players being permitted to transfer data between servers, like a tiny starting ship and a portion of their credits. The merging of said servers and their economies would indeed create chaos at first. But that's called fun, in my book.

I had another similar concept the other night, thinking about servers that restrict their gameplay to a single galaxy and surrounding space, linking together in this manner.

Reaction score
    This is an idea I've had for many singleplayer games. A game that I used to play as a kid, called 'Poptropica', had a multiplayer room available since it was predominantly a singleplayer RPG/puzzle game. I'd love to see this implemented, and, maybe to stop resource chaos across both servers, a limit to the number of blocks that can be transferred per player per time can be imposed, maybe something like 500 per hour? That'd give people a bit of time to work on a decent ship, if not grab an asteroid and haul it over.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    I've no proof whatsoever to back it up, but I had thought that eve online was constructed with each solar system being an independent server, which communicates with every other.
    True, but CCP have a defined and unified server software that they created themselves for this very purpose from the ground up, running on centralized, managed server hardware connected by low-latency high-speed interconnects, as opposed to wildly dispersed machines connected over the internet with unpredictable latencies and availability, running different and quite likely modified (as in modded, or configured differently) versions of the server software.

As I said, I'd love to see this pulled off, it's just that I doubt the feasibility of grafting a system like this onto the existing software as an afterthought.