Read by Schine Inter-galactic wormholes

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So, it's pretty comon knowledge that wormholes aren't very useful currently, mostly because they're outclassed by jump drives and warpgates and the fact that a person pretty much needs a jump drive to get out of one. Here's one thing that would make wormholes useful:

Wormholes located on galactic edges could connect edge wormholes of neighboring galaxies.

What I mean by that is that galaxies could be linked by their two closest wormholes, effectively bridging the gap between them. This would turn wormholes into something useful, instead of a thing you use once for the lolz and never touch again. It'd also help to mitigate the effect of non-respawning ressources by making it easier for new/old players to get to new areas.

But what about inter-galactic voids, won't that become useless? Well, for one, it's already pretty useless. I expect that to change once we get proper pirate spawning and difficulty scaling, with inter-galactic voids being pirate land. So honestly, it's not much of an issue for now.

TL;DR Wormholes that connect galaxies together plz Schema k thnx.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    In short this isn't a feature that we want easily accessible by the player. Void space will be a very dangerous place. There will perhaps be strange anomalies in these areas and your friends / factions wont be around to protect you from any baddies in the area. As more RP elements are added over the course of the next few months we will see that getting to another galaxy should be a major accomplishment due to the danger involved. We do not want to cheapen that end goal by bypassing it completely.

If something like galaxy to galaxy travel happens it would need to be very difficult to achieve, or utilize a system that is unpredictable. Wormholes are not meant to be there for our convenience either. They are random and in the future, possibly unpredictable. I think there should be more depth added with wormhole mechanics. Something more dynamic. We shouldn't rely on them as established travel routes.

Reaction score
    In short this isn't a feature that we want easily accessible by the player. Void space will be a very dangerous place. There will perhaps be strange anomalies in these areas and your friends / factions wont be around to protect you from any baddies in the area. As more RP elements are added over the course of the next few months we will see that getting to another galaxy should be a major accomplishment due to the danger involved. We do not want to cheapen that end goal by bypassing it completely.
    Then why have multiple galaxies in one game in the first place? There has to be some incentives to travel there, and how would they look like? Also, in a multiplayer scenario, it would kind of divide the server's playerbase into multiple groups and keep interaction between the groups minimal.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Then why have multiple galaxies in one game in the first place? There has to be some incentives to travel there, and how would they look like? Also, in a multiplayer scenario, it would kind of divide the server's playerbase into multiple groups and keep interaction between the groups minimal.
    The incentive is to discover things that may not be in your own galaxy. We hardly have any reason to visit another galaxy as it stands let alone another star system. There will be more reasons to explore as we go down the line. It's not as if we will be removing features from the rest of space. What you could find in other galaxies is the topic for a different discussion, as this thread only focuses on traveling there.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well if you wanted to get really fun with wormholes why make them huge blackhole-like things when you can make them small 1-3 sector wide vortexes them turn up at random to random locations for a limited time? :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Well if you wanted to get really fun with wormholes why make them huge blackhole-like things when you can make them small 1-3 sector wide vortexes them turn up at random to random locations for a limited time? :)
    Sure, however we need more thought put into that. What happens if it is near a homebase, or planets or asteroids? The world is populated with objects and players and soon NPC's. Is it okay to disrupt that activity? If it isn't, then what are other solutions?

Reactions: AssIn9

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Sure, however we need more thought put into that. What happens if it is near a homebase, or planets or asteroids? The world is populated with objects and players and soon NPC's. Is it okay to disrupt that activity? If it isn't, then what are other solutions?
    Spawning the wormholes in areas near the activity but not in it would help, also being at least a few sectors away from planets, stars, stations, players, and anything that has to move through unloaded space. Since they only last for a few seconds to a few hours the inconvenience wouldn't last too long if one turned up somewhere not nice to be.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    They don't have to be a direct connection to the other galaxy perse. Could just be a chain of wormholes that get to another galaxy.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    They don't have to be a direct connection to the other galaxy perse. Could just be a chain of wormholes that get to another galaxy.
    Yea, that works too.

I basically just want wormholes to not be limited to galaxies. It's a freaking wormhole, there's no range limit to those things. A randomised warp system would work as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    If something like galaxy to galaxy travel happens it would need to be very difficult to achieve, or utilize a system that is unpredictable.
    Its already rather difficult for many players, in terms of enduring the boredom of sitting there 10-20 minutes charging jumpdrives until your finger falls off, while you actually wanted to have fun in your one hour spare time you have available to play.

And if you did join a server to interact with others, creating a long travel time between you and them makes the whole deal of players interacting with each other very difficult. Unles youre in some loner faction that doesnt want anything to do with other factions.

"I got what you need, do you want to trade with me?" "No thanks, i would have to fly through this annoying void for 20 minutes, not worth it."
    "Do you want to attack that other faction?" "Not worth it, think about how long we would need to get there and back."
    "So do you want to join our faction? Oh forgott to add, our home is in the neighbour galaxy." "And how am i supposed to get through the void?!"

Now you could argue about creating a warpgate network back to the original galaxy to stay in touch with the other players, but since your own server has an increased warpgate distance you, propably know how much they need to change to be viable for that.

But im actually agreeing on that it should be a difficult to accomplish task. And thats the crux in it, its a task you should not have to go through each time you fly from one galaxy to another, so there needs to be way possible for players to create a fast way of traveling between two galaxies. If that fast way of travel is a cheap one, or even a safe one is another question, but without it, any kind of long difficult journey, no matter how much fun it might be the first time, will turn into a repetitive nuisance at some point.

Last edited:

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, it would definitely help get there easier, but it just totally ruins the whole idea of void space being dangerous, which is a feature I have been wanting for a while now.

But with servers that have increased sector sizes, it can take literally hours to get across that expansive void, so, maybe, there could be a large black hole thing in the center of every galaxy, that teleports you to a completely random and different location every time you enter it, maybe you get teleported to a nearby galaxy, maybe to teleport to the sector right next to the black hole, maybe you get teleported into the center of a fleet battle or enemy home base, who knows, but it still COULD help, even if the chance is very small.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    enduring the boredom of sitting there 10-20 minutes
    It won't be boring forever. There will be a reason to venture into the space between galaxies. But it will not be safe.
    Additionally, there is no reason we can create that would be reasonable for your exploration of another galaxy. It has to be on the players mind. We shouldn't and probably won't tell you to work on a quest that takes place so far from where the quest starts.

your own server has an increased warpgate distance you
    I quite like the default warp gate settings. I don't think they were ever intended to be a solution to intergalactic travel, they are more for interstellar travel. So far it works quite nicely. When more of the RP elements are introduced there will be more reasons to travel, more reasons to claim territory, and by then it wouldn't be too crazy to actually spend time setting up some warp gate networks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I quite like the default warp gate settings. I don't think they were ever intended to be a solution to intergalactic travel, they are more for interstellar travel. So far it works quite nicely.
    Even if they were never intended for that, they are currently the only thing available that can shorten the travel time, expect pure jumpships + a macro.

And honestly, i once started a warpgate network from our homebase to spawn, that was 5 gate stationes, each containing two gates.

It ended in me needing to repairing the gates two times, then just scraping them after the third attack in two days. And back to using decicated jumpships again. Funny thing was, with the time to move between getting out of a gate, and entering the next, it took just 1 minute les than with a jumpship on a macro. So it was not worth it on serverplay.

So i guess i have quiet a different experience with how viable the default settings are.

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Normally when building gates I make sure I look for who has the most badass ships on the server and build the gate to withstand that. :)