Inset Collision Boundary. (Block lube!)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's frustrating to undock a structure and find that you are wedged between blocks. The resulting twisting, turning, and intra-structural spasming is just unpleasant for all concerned.

Would it fix the problem if the block collision boundary were inset by 1 pixel? That way, it's at least possible to be bounced out of collision on one side without being bounced INTO collision on the other side.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ^
    It's kinda nice to have stuff super compact though.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I always leave at least 1 block of space around anything that has to move but this idea could be handy too. :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    OK, here's an example. I have an escape pod smoothly snugged into the hull of my ship. I'd like to be able to launch it without both structures having a seizure, and without having a meter-wide gap spoiling my pretty aesthetics. (whine, complain, generic carping)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    OK, here's an example. I have an escape pod smoothly snugged into the hull of my ship. I'd like to be able to launch it without both structures having a seizure, and without having a meter-wide gap spoiling my pretty aesthetics. (whine, complain, generic carping)
    You don't need aestetics IN the pod shaft. You need them to Cover the pod shaft. You problem has nothing to do with collisions themselves. When you undock, your ship is placed half-block higher than the rail exactly to avoid unnecessary collisions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I run into this problem myself, usually with the barrel for my turrets. Elevators, hatches and doors can also be affected. It's usually during the construction process tho, while I'm still figuring things out. Still, it's really annoying to try and swap out a part and find myself spinning off into space or having to wrench things around to get free and then spinning off into space.

But I think adjusting the collision boundary might mess up other systems. Not sure about that, but it would be nice if someone who can look at the code would consider the problem. (devs? you there? :rolleyes: )

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just make the part of the hull that it fits into into... a rail entity itself. The idea being, it retracts, creating the necessary meter-wide gaps, and you can just zip out in your pod.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Also the space the pod is stored should also have just enough space to account for it and anything there. If lined up correctly the pod should slide right out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What the OP wants, not in their suggested solution but in what would actually solve their problem, is smoother collision mechanics. We need them for ships so our internal power reactors don't accidentally get undocked due to some bug and crash the server from the collision calculations (EE had a problem with someone's reactors lagging up the server recently. Poor guy might not have that ship anymore, you'd have to ask the admins.), we need them for planets so we can bump planets with our ships without getting you banned/your ship deleted for causing immense lag...

So in his problem, an object in a tight tube logically couldn't rotate or move in any direction except along that tube, until it exits. But in game, that tight space would instantly lead to ungodly collision spam that can wreck servers because objects that undock immediately begin moving, and colliding. Playing safe is cool, but a built-in safety net is even cooler. Adjusting the collision boxes themselves probably won't help.

What if, for a recently undocked object it is forced to maintain the orientation it had to its parent, moving in relation to that parent, with collisions disabled, until it exits whatever tiny cubby it's trapped in.

It's a pain in the ass because the game would, before undocking the object, have to decide what space is available on all sides of the object, and based on what space is available, determine on what axes it can rotate and move, and at what point this safety function can be disabled and collisions restored to normal for that object.
    Honestly, i wouldn't mind if an object was forced to wait a period of time before docking/undocking so the game can take the time to calculate collisions without slowing down the server, or refuse to undock if there's no way the object can safely undock and exit. If the calculations are strung out over 30s or something, the impact would be less palpable than if the server tried to process the entire thing at once.

I mean, logically, for someone who can't program a "Hello world!" event...

I am TOTALLY pro-improved collision mechanics. Anything that gives server admins less headaches and me less chance of getting my ship deleted without totally wrecking the game mechanics is good.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    we need them for planets so we can bump planets with our ships without getting you banned/your ship deleted for causing immense lag...
    I agree with your post, but seriously... just don't land anything large on a planet. If it's over what would be considered by most people a shuttle, it shouldn't be just lying the surface of a planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    how about calculating the possible movements then restricting movements that would result into collision? this way the ship will be restricted to turning pass a certain degree if there is a wall

Reactions: kookster
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with your post, but seriously... just don't land anything large on a planet. If it's over what would be considered by most people a shuttle, it shouldn't be just lying the surface of a planet.
    Ideally you wouldn't, but accidents happen, and admins don't always offer accident forgiveness. :P

how about calculating the possible movements then restricting movements that would result into collision? this way the ship will be restricted to turning pass a certain degree if there is a wall
    Exactly. Exactly exact.