INSANELY POSITIVE FEEDBACK: SITTING

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As many of us already know, characters can now sit on things in the new dev build. There is no chair block, but characters sit halfway down wedges making them look rather like chairs.

I really like the way this was implemented as I can put my butt wherever I darn well please (reasonable realism for the freaking win)! This is much better than limiting characters to specific chairs. Sure, you might see someone sitting on a control panel, but you might see the same in real life. I can sit on the table if I want to, and that's good.

Only one thing lacks, and I'm going to assume this is on the way. I want my avatar to remain visible when I'm operating a computer. Right now the computer still vacuums me into it, but fortunately I still come out of it back into a sitting position.

The great thing about the way this system works is that an actual chair or bench could be added later if desired. This will very likely be modded in. Only a simple mesh would be needed; none of this rotating office chair stuff. We shouldn't need more than 10 or so polygons for a block. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a simple mesh chair or bench sometime during beta.

IN ALL, EXCELLENT ADDITION TO THE GAME. LET'S HEAR A BIG THANKS TO THE DEV TEAM!

Time to go put some chairs in the ol' Tranquility-class shuttle.

Reaction score
    YEAH! Hell yeah! The fact that it works so well is good also, it's like Schema, the cheeky scrublord, almost wanted it to be perfect for us!

God bless ya devs!

Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I particularly like the sitting animations. Like the one where he puts his elbow on his knee...that's cool.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The next thing would be animating the head as the player looks left and right, with a shoulder-twisting movement when the character looks more than 90 degrees from forward. That can be added later though, with other inevitable avatar animation improvements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think half the hype for chairs wasn't the sitting, but the idea that we wouldn't vanish into the core block, and have our bodies remaining as we pilot our ships. I think this addition is great though, but we really need a control panel of sorts to address the core issue. No pun intended.

But this is a great way to solve the problem really. We can sit, not be bound to prefabricated chairs, and now we just need some kind of controller to satisfy just about everyone.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see something like that added very soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The next thing would be animating the head as the player looks left and right, with a shoulder-twisting movement when the character looks more than 90 degrees from forward
    Yeah then I can do my "Blue Steel".

That's right...a Zoolander reference in the StarMade forums. That just happened.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    the best bet for functioning chairs that i can think of now is that we should get 2 shapes. a block and a wedge that can be linked to any system we choose. this would allow more creative uses of it rather than if we just got 1 shape.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    the best bet for functioning chairs that i can think of now is that we should get 2 shapes. a block and a wedge that can be linked to any system we choose. this would allow more creative uses of it rather than if we just got 1 shape.
    Why would you need to link anything? Just sit down and activate the system with R. The immersion is better that way (in my opinion) and it can already be done (and it has fewer potential problems). The avatar just needs to be visible when the system is active.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Why would you need to link anything? Just sit down and activate the system with R. The immersion is better that way (in my opinion) and it can already be done (and it has fewer potential problems). The avatar just needs to be visible when the system is active.
    we could have both systems. say you want to have a huge elaborate gunner seat and a don't like the design for the weapon computer. a command chair that can be linked to a specific system would allow us to control something thats not in our immediate reach.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, Valiant's system is okay, but then there needs to be some kind of "Master Computer" that lets you use core functions (Structure menu and helm control, to be specific) from places other than the core. Due to this, I agree with Crimson.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sure, we need remote access to the core so we can encase the stupid thing in solid advanced armor or put it in the middle of a reactor core if we want. I bet that's not too far off, as such a feature has been requested alongside chairs for a very long time. The thing is, that's a computer, and you don't need to link a computer to a chair. You just need to sit down and activate the computer while sitting in the chair, which is how it works now in the dev build. That's all I'm saying.

Chairs aren't even activated the way computers are. You sit on chairs with a different key (currently default 'O'). You activate computers by pressing 'R'. It's a different action.

Bottom line, we need a new computer, not a linkage of one's backside to an electronic system.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Sure, we need remote access to the core so we can encase the stupid thing in solid advanced armor or put it in the middle of a reactor core if we want. I bet that's not too far off, as such a feature has been requested alongside chairs for a very long time. The thing is, that's a computer, and you don't need to link a computer to a chair. You just need to sit down and activate the computer while sitting in the chair, which is how it works now in the dev build. That's all I'm saying.

Chairs aren't even activated the way computers are. You sit on chairs with a different key (currently default 'O'). You activate computers by pressing 'R'. It's a different action.

Bottom line, we need a new computer, not a linkage of one's backside to an electronic system.
    who says we have access a linked chair with "O". in terms of mechanics the command chair would be considered a "computer" and could be accessed with "R". it would function exactly like entering a ship core except our character would be visible in the chair rather than being eaten by the core.

what I said still stands, if you want the 2 step RP way of 1.sit down with "O". 2. access computer with "R". you can. or If you want to have a 1 step process of press "R" on a linked chair and you're in. you can.

no one said it had to be one or there other

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Unless the command chair moves with the turret or something, I see no purpose or point for it. It would just be wasted coding effort for a system with less immersion.

If you want one step, activate the computer without sitting. If you still want the avatar to sit when you activate the computer, maybe a block could be linked the the computer (not the other way) and sit the character on that block every time the computer is activated. That would work within the current system without adding additional blocks.

EDIT: I still think the avatar should still always come out of the computer into the chair so he/she doesn't fall out of the ship.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Unless the command chair moves with the turret or something, I see no purpose or point for it. It would just be wasted coding effort for a system with less immersion.

If you want one step, activate the computer without sitting. If you still want the avatar to sit when you activate the computer, maybe a block could be linked the the computer (not the other way) and sit the character on that block every time the computer is activated. That would work within the current system without adding additional blocks.

EDIT: I still think the avatar should still always come out of the computer into the chair so he/she doesn't fall out of the ship.
    at this time when were getting more shapes of every block under the sun using 2 more block IDs won't make ppl cry.

I'm saying that if you want to do it your way it can be done, and if people want to do it my way they can too. The idea is the we don't want to limit players creativity by forcing them to always have a block in front of them in order to remote access something. for simple convenience reasons a block that allows players to both sit down and access a specific system should be in there.

with a command block, star trek style captains chairs (a simple seat with no console/terminal within reach) is possible.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    at this time when were getting more shapes of every block under the sun using 2 more block IDs won't make ppl cry.
    I never even mentioned IDs.

with a command block, star trek style captains chairs (a simple seat with no console/terminal within reach) is possible.
    There are two ways I can think of to do this:
    (1. (my favorite) Put the computer in the floor in front of the chair where its inconspicuous top texture isn't noticeable.
    (2. Place the computer on the floor, then form a chair back with two wedges, kind of like the huge chairs some people make with three wedges.
    (3. Use the computer for a seat back.

It can be done. You just have to be a little creative.

Another thing: if we add a meshed chair, people won't want to use wedges as chairs anymore, which means the ship controls could be accessed from every seat on the ship... :confused:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I never even mentioned IDs.

There are two ways I can think of to do this:
    (1. (my favorite) Put the computer in the floor in front of the chair where its inconspicuous top texture isn't noticeable.
    (2. Place the computer on the floor, then form a chair back with two wedges, kind of like the huge chairs some people make with three wedges.
    (3. Use the computer for a seat back.

It can be done. You just have to be a little creative.

Another thing: if we add a meshed chair, people won't want to use wedges as chairs anymore, which means the ship controls could be accessed from every seat on the ship... :confused:
    Simple fix for that: Meshed chairs could have to link to a core (or computer(s)) to control a ship. Still somewhat neutral on this idea as I'm mostly going to wait and see what the Schine team has planned, but just being helpful.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing meshed chairs any time soon. You're right, though. We just need to wait and see what is planned. What we see is groundwork. This isn't even a suggestion thread anyway. I created this for discussing what's already been added in the recent dev build.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm a little confused. When you enter a wedge and enter a weapons computer, and then exit the computer, you are still sitting?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm a little confused. When you enter a wedge and enter a weapons computer, and then exit the computer, you are still sitting?
    Yep. It's probably the most useful thing about chairs currently. Rather than just being dumped out of your ship or wherever you'd normally land, the game puts you back in the seat.