Infantry infiltration?

Reaction score
    I don't know whether this will become a thing or not, I haven't watched all the Q&A videos, only a few. I only remember Schema posting some sort of chart for weapons, I don't remember if that was for infantry or ships, but it sounded like a neat idea. It sort of reminds me of boarding Titans back in Battlefield 2142.

It would be nice if we had some really thought out infantry mechanics. It would be nice if players, first of all, had some neater weapons to fight each other with, as well as actual 3D models for them. We, as players, should also have things we can buy from shops, like ammunition, grenades, and door hackers. I was thinking in the future, we could easily board ships and infiltrate them. Of course, this goes off the earlier concept about the automatic gravity radius I had thought about (http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/automatic-gravity-radius). People should be able to get off their ship, and then hack the plex doors until they could reach the core. I hate to keep linking people to other threads I've made in the past, but I think ship maps could help a lot in navigating yourself to the core once you are on board the ship (http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/map-sorts).

People on the ship can ready themselves for this type of attack. Firstly and foremost, they can put these sort of shields in their hallways, that are only bypassable by destroying a device attached to it, which can take a fair amount of damage before it fails. Once reaching the core, the players can fire upon it and blow it up.

I think as well perhaps that Core's shouldn't have shields, allowing players to easily blow them up if they manage to reach them. Ofc everything else besides the core will still have shields and have to be destroyed before reaching it.

Note: This is a really long, thought out suggestion. I don't see this being implemented for a while, maybe not even till after release if he actually considers it :P. I just want to hear other people's thoughts on it.

Reaction score
    I like all of this except for the map of the ship, not knowing where you're going would add to the realism of boarding an enemy ship and having to find your way around under fire, plus it would add some balance as players would need to weigh the pros and cons of an attack on a larger vessel.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    In the future, I hope to see more of a variety of handheld weaponary. (i.e. pistols, assault rifles, LMG's, RPG's, grenades, mines, etc.) If perishable ammunition were added, that type of feature could pose as a large credit sink and benefit the economy and possibly crafting system as a whole.

Reactions: z1967 and WolfChild
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm surprised people don't actually use man to man combat on stations now. The hand weapon is a 10 shot kill against anyone walking about and no one I have seen bothers to put turrets inside their stations. Frankly you could just create a suicide drop ship with a lot of frontal blocks to plate the core from incoming fire. Rush in and crash land on an enemy base then pop 3-4 people before someone got wise and either grabbed their own gun or dived into a block for cover.

Also consider a core has more hit points than a player, a core with just a power block, weapons comp and a d1000 block. It would be small enough to fit where any player could walk about in and could easily defeat a group of players of foot or just camp the hostile faction homes plex-undeathinator until admins stepped or the faction refused to log on any more. Heaven for bid you stick an AI module on said core and just leave it next to their undeathinator.

That said I hope I have given all you griefers out there idea's that drive schema to revamp personal combat in this game a little! :P

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    there first needs to be a equipment tab before we can have more in-depth ground combat. having a gun as a item like a block doesn't make sense as most of our inventory is devoted to blocks and the like. now if Ammo that took up space in our inventory were introduced then that could balance out the equipping of guns

Reaction score
    I'm surprised people don't actually use man to man combat on stations now. The hand weapon is a 10 shot kill against anyone walking about and no one I have seen bothers to put turrets inside their stations. Frankly you could just create a suicide drop ship with a lot of frontal blocks to plate the core from incoming fire. Rush in and crash land on an enemy base then pop 3-4 people before someone got wise and either grabbed their own gun or dived into a block for cover.

Also consider a core has more hit points than a player, a core with just a power block, weapons comp and a d1000 block. It would be small enough to fit where any player could walk about in and could easily defeat a group of players of foot or just camp the hostile faction homes plex-undeathinator until admins stepped or the faction refused to log on any more. Heaven for bid you stick an AI module on said core and just leave it next to their undeathinator.

That said I hope I have given all you griefers out there idea's that drive schema to revamp personal combat in this game a little! :p

I tried exactly that and its a lot of fun.Also it causes less destruction on the structure, which is especially good if you want to capture things

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Boarding action is always cool, but you need a way to make interiors worth it too, to prevent players from simply removing all access to their core, once in the ship. Some kind of mechanic that incentivises you to have tunnels to and from your ship's exterior that are traversible by a player/NPC.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Boarding action is always cool, but you need a way to make interiors worth it too, to prevent players from simply removing all access to their core, once in the ship. Some kind of mechanic that incentivises you to have tunnels to and from your ship's exterior that are traversible by a player/NPC.
    Well the O2 mechanic should prevent that...

Reactions: DarthHonky
    Reaction score
    Not only the O2 mechanic, but if chairs get implemented for cores, and people don't die once their core is blown up, then they have a reason to go to their core and repair it with some sort of repair tool

Reaction score
    there first needs to be a equipment tab before we can have more in-depth ground combat. having a gun as a item like a block doesn't make sense as most of our inventory is devoted to blocks and the like. now if Ammo that took up space in our inventory were introduced then that could balance out the equipping of guns
    I like this idea, but I was thinking more along the lines of a small 2-3 space extra hotbar that's only visible when the player is not in a ship. It could have space for your helmet, one weapon, and one ammo type. Having only one weapon type available per player would make for a better group dynamic when boarding. You'd have one heavy weapons guy, an assault guy, maybe a sniper and a medic (like Team Fortress or Battlefield). There doesn't need to be player classes per se, although those would bring a different dynamic all on their own, but each player in the boarding party would have their own role to play in the boarding action. Plus, Having multiple roles in a boarding party would (hopefully) have the added benefit of encouraging large-scale faction operations.

Reactions: rece ktore leczo

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

...The core doesn't even need to be involved. There should be a way to hack the system from any computer terminal (Including weapons computers, and whatever other type of computer may be implemented.)

Reaction score
    ...The core doesn't even need to be involved. There can be a way to hack the system from any computer terminal (Including weapons computers, and whatever other type of computer may be implemented.)
    Thus making having to get to the bridge to take a ship a lot more relevant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I kind of like this idea too. Makes one person running a mid to large size capital far more risky. Instead of just core drilling a massive ship you could throw a missile barrage into the side and send of a boarding pod with faction members playing the part of troops.