Increased logic control of gravity

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    As it is, logic-gravity interaction is limited at best. You can make a button trigger a gravity module, and you can make a particular area trigger a gravity module. That is, sadly, it. Any logic between the the button and the gravity module will make the interaction fail, allowing for no control over the system besides trying to control and predict the position of the player.

The technical reason for this is obvious- the game has to keep track of who triggered the signal, which gets messy if there's anything between the trigger and the module. Thus, I propose a mechanic to control the behavior of the gravity modules themselves, not the signals that trigger them. This approach has been more than proven with the implementation of the rails, and will surely function just as well for gravity.

Mechanic One: An on/off switch for gravity modules.
    Any control we wish to have over gravity modules, for any particular situation, boils down to this- will or will it not trigger gravity? To control this, we should be able to slave one activation module to the gravity block. (like we can slave activators to rail rotators) If the slaved activator is on, the gravity module will accept a trigger, if the activator is off, the gravity module will not.

There is one exceedingly common subset of the on/off control that is, unfortunately, difficult do determine with logic alone- which direction gravity is already pulling. This is usually the most important fact about a player in any two-way transport system, since it the only certain indicator of where they're headed. While mechanic one would be a huge leap forward, this part could still be improved. Thus, I also propose:

Mechanic Two: Direction-based exceptions
    For any gravity module, we should be able to dictate "If the player is falling rightwards, don't change their direction." To indicate which directions are to be left alone, we could slave gravity modules pointing in those directions to the module we want to configure.

For a deactivated (using mechanic one) gravity module, it should be the other way around. Since it's default interaction for any player is "zero effect", the "exception" dictated by a slaved module would be "full effect".

Mechanic Three: An on/off switch for slaved gravity.
    To top it all off, the on/off switch should work for slaved gravity as well. A slaved module in "On" mode interacts with the master, a module in "Off" mode might as well not be there. This would mean all aspects of these mechanics can be freely controlled with logic, which is certainly desirable.

Hopefully, this should fulfill nearly any need for gravity manipulation, while being fully logic controlled, based on block architecture, and use minimal blocks for the more common use cases.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Gravity blocks interaction with logic definitely needs some attention.

I would personally like to see a method of applying universal gravity to an entire station as well, it would work the same as on planets, would be much easier than constantly leaving gravity blocks lying around so people stick to the right surface.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This system would kind of allow for that. You'd need one central gravity module hooked to an area trigger, with detectors in all areas players might enter. If you then slave a downwards-pointing gravity module to the main one, (telling it "if the player is already in downwards gravity, have no effect") players who are already in gravity would be unaffected, so there's no risk of being accidentally thrown out. It's not exactly the same thing, but close enough for any practical purposes.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I've been asking for this for several years so I can continue my research in artificial planet construction.

Instead, all we get is a broken gravity chamber system that only works on stations.

Oi Vey :rolleyes: