Increase Maximum SPEEEED!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not to fond of holding "W" for over 5 minutes to get somewhere.

I can see how this can be a problem when you fall out your ship, maybe the decceleration can be faster? This way your ship will not float as far.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can already do the speed increase by editing server config files in your starmade install folder.

Reaction score
    Check the server config file, you can change the max speed, decel rate and other things in there. Any changes made will only effect your single player or if you personally host a server from your system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On the other hand, cruise control would be nice for long trips.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    just make a macro on your keyboard to toggle holding w. It can be a pain but worth it

Reaction score
    The default speed limit is set at what it is because currently the physics engine can only handle objects at that speed when they collide, I run a server that sets the max speed to 100, and I get problems with ship collisions not properly being handled. As a result, ships can sometimes phase through one another and become stuck to one another, a small ship could phase into a very large ship and let the user hack internal systems such as main cannons or missiles. On top of this, increased max speed makes a lot of other collisions buggy, an example is ships shaking violently while on a planet if they have turrets attached.

Sure its fun to set the speed limit higher, just remember it comes at a steep price.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now, I don\'t really understand how this works, but shouldn\'t that be possible to fix? With the game working as it does now, with huge distances between anything of value, a higher max speed could be worth the trouble of fixing problems with the physics engine. However, I know very little of coding, and it\'s entirely possible that this is near impossible.

Reaction score
    These problems are in no way simple to solve.

As somone who has actually written a 2d physics simulation program from scratch I can tell you that there are some very hard limitations.

First of all there is the fact that you can only check for collisions once a frame, so if you move fast enough then as has been pointed out by others, you will phase through things.

Now this can be solved by various forms of continuous collision, but doing so is significantly more expensive to calculate and hard to under stand in the first place.

And I have to walk my dog now so you shall be spared the remainder of my fury!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have ships move at speeds proportional to their mass to thrust ratio. Then integrate a FTL drive to essentially teleport across the bigger distances, this can be balanced by the fact that your not going to see stuff in between which makes main engines still a big feature in the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, thanks for explaining that. I\'ll just be removing the suggestion for higher max speed from my thread, then.

Also, I\'ve now joined a server where max speed is 100, and I see what everyone is talking about. Every 5 minutes or so there\'s an alert that someone\'s ship is stuck and is warping out of collisions (as well as, for some reason, the occasional asteroid... Wierd).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    the FTL engines only speed up what you refer to is a kind of teleport like traveling for the \"sub-space\" i think that those engines should be a module to use the engines blocks to recharge and the energy to the distance and in proportion with the mass of the ship.

Reaction score
    I think a jump drive is a wonderful idea. Big main drives would still be needed for cruising, but the jump drive could be used for long trips that would be boring to make at 50kph.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Fled from what?

BTW Config :D

Also, I DO agree that the default max should be increased to summin like 250. Or something VERY high, for the sake of not really limiting it :)

Reaction score
    That happens with a speed limit of 50 too once the ships are large enough... So that\'s wrong reasoning.

Reaction score
    ... for the small space scale used IG. Speed is relative to space, and If a void system would be the size of our solar system, 50 km/h IG would equal light speed x5. (check this out : http://star-made.org/content/graphical-size-comparison ).

The real problem is not ships are slow, it is stellar objects IG (planets, asteroids and systems themselves) are totally downscaled.

Though, it\'s normal you spend long time flying between two objects, as space is big and relatively empty.