Recognized Increase Dumbfire Missile Speed

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Dumbfire (both rapid and standard) Missiles should have the same (or nearly) speed as a cannon shot. This is, in my opinion, the best way to make the dumbfire missile variants a viable weapon type.

Reactions: BDLS

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Cannons are 10x the server speed, which is quite fast (Missile+beam is only 4x)
    Basic missiles and rapid actually fly at 1.98x the server speed, which is almost fast enough to catch a ship with 100% Overdrive as they are now.

I admit they could use a bit of a speed boost (and /Beams a slight speed nerf), but not anything close to cannons, or else why even use cannons?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Cannons are 10x the server speed, which is quite fast (Missile+beam is only 4x)
    Basic missiles and rapid actually fly at 1.98x the server speed, which is almost fast enough to catch a ship with 100% Overdrive as they are now.

I admit they could use a bit of a speed boost (and /Beams a slight speed nerf), but not anything close to cannons, or else why even use cannons?
    Alright, cannon speed might be too fast, but seriously, have you ever tried to use dumbfires? They're worthless.

7x or 8x might be more fair for dumbfires.

And why use cannons? Well, things like pierce and punch, for one. Plus, point defense is a thing.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    point defense is a thing
    Point defense become useless if the missiles are too fast to track. And what Cannons with punch can do, missiles could do just as well, which is mass removal of blocks.
    Dumbfires might be bad at long ranges, but they work fine at ~2km if you're not trying to ping a drone or something. After that point, it gets hard to hit with anything cause the ship appears so small (unless it's a medium+ ship, then it's just your leading ability).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Point defense become useless if the missiles are too fast to track. And what Cannons with punch can do, missiles could do just as well, which is mass removal of blocks.
    Dumbfires might be bad at long ranges, but they work fine at ~2km if you're not trying to ping a drone or something. After that point, it gets hard to hit with anything cause the ship appears so small (unless it's a medium+ ship, then it's just your leading ability).
    Alright. How about 5.5 or 6? They need to have some speed advantage over sniper missiles. This still gives cannons a large velocity advantage over missiles, while making dumbfires viable at medium-long ranges. Plus, it makes PD more likely to be able to take them down.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Alright. How about 5.5 or 6? They need to have some speed advantage over sniper missiles. This still gives cannons a large velocity advantage over missiles, while making dumbfires viable at medium-long ranges. Plus, it makes PD more likely to be able to take them down.
    I Agree that dumbfire needs a speed advantage, but also believe that missile/beam needs a nerf regardless of what happens in terms of speed. 5x (because haggling :p ) and taking missile/beam down to 3.5x at least would be an improvement in my eyes.
    /pulse and /missile are probably best left under 1.0x though.

Reactions: Winterhome

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I Agree that dumbfire needs a speed advantage, but also believe that missile/beam needs a nerf regardless of what happens in terms of speed. 5x (because haggling :p ) and taking missile/beam down to 3.5x at least would be an improvement in my eyes.
    /pulse and /missile are probably best left under 1.0x though.
    I can get behind this.

In terms of physics, lore/logic, and the like... Dumbfires should be the fastest, with the cannon slaves making the missiles shorter length-wise by removing HE filler in the cap, which in turn makes them easier to load.

Meanwhile, we'll also have this http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/139 to take into consideration, which will totally change how missiles work. After that gets added, whenever it happens, I'd personally suggest that dumbfire missiles be able to accelerate to speeds higher than those of cannon rounds at the expense of needing to accelerate.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Along side a speed boost I thing that dumb fire should have a slight lock on element where they will curve to hit an enemy but only if the missile is right next to the enemy. This should make them somewhat useful yet not take the place of lock on or heat seekers since they will still be low damage but easy to evade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    And what Cannons with punch can do, missiles could do just as well, which is mass removal of blocks.
    Punch is useful for station defenses along with Large amounts of EMP weapons, because they can disable a ship, then kill the pilot with minimal damage to the ship, perfect for re-use.

I still miss the old stats.
    You mean the ones where More blocks = Faster fire rate and more damage?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Punch is useful for station defenses along with Large amounts of EMP weapons, because they can disable a ship, then kill the pilot with minimal damage to the ship, perfect for re-use.
    Punch is good for precision damage, like sniping, and after the HP update core sniping will no longer be a thing, and mass removal of blocks will be needed to take down ships (So Missiles).

Whenever I use Punch, I do so with the intention of breaking internal power nesting, leading to power storages, and Cannons travel faster than missiles so it's more worthwhile to use cannons to try and rekt the ship's systems.
    If Missiles moved at a comparable speed, I probably would not use punch, since I do not support direct core drilling, and missiles give a better advantage of less wasted damage (Destroying an entire fighter versus shooting a small hole), and will probably still hit power regeneration pretty hard.

It might just be me, but I don't weight a weapon's usefulness on it's ability to core. Remove coring, and a dumbfire missile with explosive beats a cannon with punch in terms of damage, hands down, but when you consider the speeds, you get a proper choice between weapons.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dumbfire (both rapid and standard) Missiles should have the same (or nearly) speed as a cannon shot.
    I'd like to see at least double speed for sure on the standard vanilla config, just for testing. Then move up if that's still not good enough. But yeah, definitely way too slow right now. Although, I think dumbfires being as fast as cannons is way too much.

Also, reduce turning radius on lock-ons so people will be more willing to try other weapons systems.

Reaction score

You mean the ones where More blocks = Faster fire rate and more damage?
    Not quite that, only the part where you could modify each individual stat to your appeal, which did include faster speed, more damage etc. I like it because it was more complex. If you had more blocks, you could add more points. Which, yes, did include game-breaking light speed :D

Reaction score
    I'd REALLY like to get the new thrust system implemented before we start rebalancing weapon speeds too drastically.