Increase default range of damage beam weapons

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As it stands right now in-game, with the AI fixed so they actually fire their damage beam and pulse weapons (still, the pulse barely even works on isanths)

The problem though is that while the weapons and their ranges sound fine on paper, they are absolutely terrible in-game.
    Here is what is always happening when I face off against damage-beam isanths:

they are always hovering out of range, at the default distance they hover when shooting AMCs (which have no issue hitting me)

The devs have said they wanted to keep the range for damage beams lower than that of AMCs because supposedly its easier to hit stuff with damage beams from a distance than it is with AMCs. I think that is total bullcrap because when I use damage beams I barely can ever hit anything because in order to hit stuff in this game (especially with lag on multiplayer) you always have to aim somewhat ahead of your target. I have a much easier time hitting stuff with AMCs than I do with damage beams. So please, make the range for cannons and lasers the same.

The range limitations of damage beams would be fine if they were actually doing damage practically every millisecond, but no, instead they do it in long ticks just like AMCs. Because of this their crappy range is hardly justified at all. If anything, they ought to have DOUBLE the range of cannons, so that their crappy accuracy and long damage ticks are actually worth it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Agreed. Beams are very underwhelming compared to the other weapons right now, and I'd like to think that all weapons types were supposed to be relevant regardless if someone went for cannons or beams.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    If they want to keep things viable, lower the damage they do and increase the range.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think that beams are underwhelming mainly because of the pulse time. I believe that the base pulse time should be severely reduced (as well as damage per pulse so that dps stays the same). Basically, the action of slicing at an enemy is currently impossible because of how hard it is to determine and adjust to when the beam will pulse. I mean, is it a beam or a pulse laser?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    its easier to hit stuff with damage beams from a distance than it is with AMCs.
    If we are talking about AI shooting, this is the case. But I'd still prefer a lower total dps, than lower range(let a lower dps compensate for the missed projectiles, and not a lower range).

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    this is why i wanted the beam weapons to pulse instead of being a constant beam.

a pulse beam could have a vary far range while the slow rate of fire keeps it balaced

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    this is why i wanted the beam weapons to pulse instead of being a constant beam.

a pulse beam could have a vary far range while the slow rate of fire keeps it balaced
    I spoke to Calbiri last night and he says it does pulse, but there's no appropriate visual for that yet.