Incentive for discovery and competition and one steps towards real economy

Reaction score
    Issue:

Many are complaining that there is nothing to do in game after the ubership is built.

Idea:

Players and factions are looking and fighting for higher grade resources resulting into higher quality and more powerful equipment which is slowly and gradually losing its quality over time (decaying to minimum quality).

High grade resources are spread around the universe and their location is suddenly changing (supernova?) to give fat cats some hard time as well as chances to new players and individualists J

I think it is better and more dynamic than fuel although I will not mind fuel support as well (and different fuel quality J).

Essentials:

- Quality grades

- Randomly changing resource locations

- Decay

Scenarios:

1. Basic quality ship (of any size) with few higher quality systems can be built in any system – anyone can start.

2. Some lucky or active players may find several systems giving them high grade resources and build stronger ships and bases enjoying the domination.

3. Strong ships and bases decay will require to protect mining and shopping sources.

4. Remote high grade sources will require players to travel via hostile systems controlled by enemy factions.

5. Supernovas, randomly changing star grades, will suggest dominating players to keep discovering as old sources downgrading.

6. Lucky newbies or individualists discovered high grade stars which are not caring much of having top guns, may simply sell information of high grade star locations they have discovered, e.g. to enemy faction of their offenders – one guy may change server faction balance in some cases J

7. Lucky newbies or individualists discovered high grade stars may mine and keep selling resources or manufactured equipment of high grade to faction shops. Player who knows location of one high grade resource, may hope to sell enough of it to buy other high grade resources he does not have.

8. Well-designed old decayed ship can be restored to highest quality once high grade blocks are found. It can also be done partially – system by system.

Details:

1. Resources to have grades, e.g. 8, 64 or 128 – just a number. The bigger the better.

2. All resources and manufactured or purchased blocks decay to minimum grade/quality over time.

3. Equipment block manufactured from higher grade resource will get better quality depending on equipment type: more hit points, higher range, damage, shield etc. etc.

a. Equipment manufactured from resources having different grades will get the lowest grade, e.g. Grade2 resource plus Grade3 resource will result into Grade2 equipment.

b. GRADE EFFECT SCALE determining equipment quality improvement can be configurable within server configuration, it is recommended that its value will be substantial for the idea to work.

c. GRADE EFFECT RATIO determining how different qualities are affected and it can be balanced by developers or defined within server configuration, so for instance GRADE EFFECT SCALE will give more to damage and less to range as those will have different GRADE EFFECT RATIO.

d. One block group may have blocks of different grades, e.g. group of 1k cannon blocks may have 700 blocks of Grade1 and 300 of Grade2, so Grade2 blocks will give 30% boost to range and damage as per GRADE EFFECT SCALE setting. Player may still use low grade blocks to connect the group in case of repair and until there will be better alternative available.

4. High grade factories required to make high grade resources. They also decay.

5. Advanced build mode should allow bulk upgrade of all structure blocks to higher grade blocks of the same type found within inventory and/or any storage belonging to the same structure.

a. Bulk upgrade can be started once the whole number (with optional configurable discount) of required blocks per group is available, e.g. to upgrade cannon group of 1k block player will need 1k higher grade blocks.

b. Bulk upgrade allows selection of systems to upgrade – per blocks availability by default.

c. Optionally this may take time, e.g. ship core steering (flight mode) is disabled until upgrade is completed and progress bar is shown to the player.

6. Stars to have grades and more types.

7. Star grade determines grade of one (or few) resources within one system, e.g. yellow star controls grade of one type of resource, blue another and so on. Same may apply to trade guild SHOPS choice.

8. Resources, not affected by star type, get minimum basic grade.

9. Supernova changes star grade randomly – thresholds can be configurable. It should give enough time to gather some goodies and enjoy, but not to be too long, so the one who discovered it will dominate the whole universe until all other prayers will get tired and leave the server.

10. One galaxy may not have all resources of highest grade – travel to another one for top quality.

11. Star grade affects pirates’ strength – harder to conquer.

12. Ship systems details should show which block grades are in use or at least the lowest and highest ones – required for player to decide if upgrade is required. Expanded details should show more allowing required quantity calculation.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Even if this concept gets in the game, building+fighting will still be the only thing to do (mining and crafting too, but those are uber boring. does not count). The only difference is that you will HAVE to fight, and will HAVE to mine, in order to get those higher grade things and for survival, in order to not allow your ship to decay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I dont like this idea. Ships shouldn't decay, because all that does is add hassle. Nobody wants so fly everywhere across the galaxy just to keep their fleet of defense drones operational or to manage to keep all their ships and stations operational if they dont have a lot of time every day on a server.

Also, I think you need to expand the idea a bit more, it was VERY hard to understand and so much detail is missing that its hard to tell what kind of resources you want added.

Reaction score
    Maybe blocks can decay slower when stored and faster when used/installed – just another idea although I don’t like it, hehe.

To jorgekorke:

This is just to give a reason for space discovery and faction competition other than building Godzilla ships (which is boring as you have said and depress new players seeing those monsters around already built).

It does not deny at all the needs like new fancy content (new alien races etc.) and improvements.

“you will HAVE to fight, and will HAVE to mine” – no, you can enjoy basic grade and keep dominating other players and pirates having low grade ships/bases just by building bigger ships EXACTLY AS IT IS NOW, but if one day you or your faction will want to conquer the universe, then it will not only be easy to do, but also costly to maintain the status.

Another scenario came to my mind: traitors may sell known faction high grade resource locations to enemy factions before running to them – some holly wars may follow.

One more scenario: crafters – you know resource location which allows you building high level factories, others will come to your home base and pay for the right to use your premises within access controlled areas and process their high grade resources into equipment.

Did you read about trading schema? Is that bad? There will be space for big factions and individuals – everyone may have his role and that role will last until the business is gone because of supernova when it will be time to look for new opportunities.

To GeneralEagleEye:

Decay speed can be configurable – slow on low load servers and higher on servers with many active players and it will up to the admin. It is added to avoid end of game cry for those who build monsterships of highest grade and have nothing else to wish.

“what kind of resources you want added” – NO NEW RESOURCES/MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT, all the same capsules, crystals etc., all the same blocks, just each has a number assigned: 1 – low/basic, 2 – better, …, 4 – not bad at all, …, 6 – not everyone may have, …, 8 – best of all. Can be from 1 to 8 or from 1 to 128 – that is not important.

Each star type may affect only one or few resource type (among existing ones), so to get a full package of high grade materials player will need to find several juicy systems and keep mining before they explode.

Since today we have many material/resource types and only few star types, more star types to be introduced to match the number of material types, but it is minor change and they can have the same colors as we have for resources.

The idea of material and equipment grades I have seen in another space game and it worked amazingly really pushing you into far space.

I have added supernova and decay to make it less predictive and less controllable. “keep all their ships and stations operational if they dont have a lot of time every day on a server” – exactly, one day you come and your home system has the top grade of important resource, so you can trade it for other missing ones and all that is free thanks to supernova just happened in your system … may happen the opposite though, hehe.

Supernova – from time to time some stars will blow up and change their grade (higher or lower) or even type. Random time, random stars, random grade and type change … but not every day, maybe not even every week or month … min and max star lifetime should be configurable on the server.

I think it is more interesting to live in world which is changing and it is nice to know that there is something better there, behind stars … and that someone may get it before you, hehe.

Reaction score
    I think a lot of this stuff is really up to the server Administrators than "this needs to be part of the game" type of attitude. A lot of these things, including random locations, derelict ships, systems with more materials, we do on Cosmic Pantheon in order to keep the smaller factions growing and to balance the game from being one sided due to monster ships. The devs have provided so many server side tools in way of easily editable config files, to make and keep things interesting and to put control of the universes in the hands of the server admins.

I also disagree with the ship degrading type thing as much as I disagree that we need oxygen and life support. What I'm really waiting for is some type of alien encounters. Perhaps aliens that have technology above and beyond what's available on the market or by production. Anyone able to take down these aliens would be able to salvage this advanced material to help make their factions stronger.

Reaction score
    The main issue is to keep old players motivated, aid trading and give at least an alternative to titans, new players frustration maybe unavoidable and it was my mistake to mention that.

I do not really understand how current server config and tools (though I do not have much knowledge of it) will make player moving around - mine, clear trade guild shops and build bigger, bigger and bigger ship. Even if you setup stronger pirates further away from the spawn point, very fast the elephants will eat them all and will go far beyond that in strength, so no fun again.
    On the server I'm playing, within few days I have built a big ship which wiping out any pirate group and station without my shield bar moving. Next day the guy in chat shared his ship characteristics - he had 80 TIMES more shields etc., but complained that server becomes laggy (which we all feel) when his ship moves, mahh... Please understand, I am not jealous, but it simply does not make sense - what will be a duel or group fight between ships with 900,000,000+ shields and crazy shield regeneration rate when those are turning 1 degree per second? And today it is the end game.

What about trading? How do you configure your server if everyone can get anything anywhere - one may convince a newbie to buy tons of power reactors, but that joke will last not more than a day.
    Trading becomes realistic when different players have different goods and not when everybody have stacks of everything.

I like "alien encounters", but "to salvage this advanced material" - imagine you are the winner (so already the strongest), that win will make you even stronger and if you come into game more or less regularly, you will be like this forever ... no chance to fail - is that fun?

With grades, decay and supernovas it will be harder to build a high grade ship, but yet feasible if player will not just mine and build, but:
    - scout
    - communicate with others for crafting and to exchange some spot information
    - trade
    - use cloaker not to be followed to keep some found spots secret and keep being a competitive trader
    ... is it bad?

How many chances small and swift ship have to get through shields regen of titan? With grades, smaller ships may start having chances to get through titan shields if the pilot stays away from main caliber firing direction and small ship has it systems and armor of much better grade.
    No need to find and trade for the same astronomic amount of blocks as before but focus on quality instead and fly/trade and communicate more.

It may open the door for smaller ships to come back and add some new gaming and fighting strategies, yet some may still go for ship size only as it gets between neighbor stars.

"holly cow!!! my huge ship got rotten!!!" - do not worry, at worst it will become the same as it is now, just with grades, decay and supernovas you will have a chance to make it better and smaller.