Improved Sector Navigation/Warp Drive and some Misc.

Reaction score
    I have a bunch of suggestions, focused around section navigation and long raneg travel.

1. When using the navigation to go to a sector a long ways away, it uses that stupid system of only plotting a route from the current sector to an adjacent one, which is really annoying since you have to keep turning (especially for big ships). It would be incredibly nice to just have it plot a straight line to your target sector rather than the current system. Space is empty after all, why not fly in a straight line?

2. Create a block, preferably a rather expensive one, that allows instant transportation to a designated sector. How I think this would work would be to make a computer and enhancer like a weapon, the enhancers grant a certain amount of jump "potential" based on the number of enhancer blocks. The potential needed to jump to a sector would be: the distance (in sectors) to the target sector*.1*the mass of the ship+the mass of the ship. Or something along those lines, just proportional to your mass and the distance, with an added constant. This would of course take a ton of power. It would also make the problem described in #1 far less irritating.

3. Lock the player position into the ship they're in. This would make it so when the player DC's or the server restarts or anything like that happens that they wouldn't end up thousands of meters away (or even out of radar range). Which I have to say, is one of the msot annoying things of this game, especially coupled with the random teleportation that sometimes happens. I've lost several ships this way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with the lock players into the ship idea that would be great but i dont think the warp drive idea would be as good it would be better if there were thruster enhancers that would be bound to a key to push and the ship would go like twice as fast and use alot of energy so you still have a bit of control

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Why, why yet another warp drive suggestion without checking first? Search button is there! It even works most of the time! So many threads were made, many of which so much more detailed and planned through!

But to comment:

1. Sure, why not. Hell, some galaxy overview where you can \'highlight\' a few sectors in advance would be nice, for the future when there will be actually a point.

2. Already commented somewhat. Personally, I dislike insta-travel for several reasons people mention in quite a few of those threads. I like one idea though - warp drive working as regular engine, but going far past speed limit for certain period of time, requiring time to activate and cooldown after and nearly taking away any maneuverability (strafing, turning, \'up/down\' etc) to avoid making it some sort of dogfighting supermode. Basically, you choose direction you want to go in, activate the thing and till you slow down, some time passes or the drive will eat through your power reserve yu go at great speed. Don\'t know how easy to implement it\'d be.

3. It may be part of the teleportation-upon-exit bug or general desynch. It\'s being looked into and with time - improved bit by bit.

Reaction score
    I don\'t like the idea of insta-travel. However, Captain\'s and Visitor\'s ideas of a turbo engine ability sounds really cool. I like that idea, because it\'s really useful for travel, but not overpowered in fights because it only goes in a straight line.