Improved home base

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    We all know home bases are indestructible, so why should you waste resources on building weapons to keep intruders away? These are my ideas for the home base, and since I don't know how the faction points system is going to work, I'm only going to mention it in this paragraph. If some of these ideas are already going to be implemented alongside the faction points, fine, but if there are new ideas here, please comment, give feedback and hopefully some of these ideas will be used, in their original state or changed.

My ideas:
    1. Home bases should have an impenetrable aura around the sectors in which it located, and also a maximum amount of sectors in which it may be, I think an area of 3x3x3 sectors is reasonable. This repulsive aura will only let neutral or friendly factions of the faction whose home base it is will be allowed to pass through, and when a faction is declared hostile, all members of that hostile declared faction will have a time limit to leave the home base area. Also, firing any weapon in the home base area will result in an immediate death and that weapon which they fired will do no damage, but if the person who fired the weapon is from the home base's faction, that person won't die but the weapon still won't do any damge.
    2. Home base aren't allowed to have any weapons directly on them, they are not allowed to have turret docking modules or enhancers and are they allowed to have effect modules and shields. Trying to place one of those types of blocks would display a message saying "this block can't be placed here" and the block won't have been placed.
    3. The soft cap for energy won't apply to the home base, instead it will have it's own, quite a lot higher soft cap. This so the home base can have a huge factory and be completely focussed on the economy.
    4. The home base's faction will have the ability to exclude factions at will, friendly or neutral.
    5. Factions will be able to capture each others home base in a specific 'event'. In this event faction wars will end completely and factions will be reduced to nothing more than their players. This event will be semi-forced. There will have to be a certain percentage of players of each faction online and able to take part in that event. The faction wishing to capture the base will be able to select the option to do so, and the faction on which the attack will be carried out will have a certain time limit to respond. If they don't respond within the time limit, the home base will be captured without a fight. During these events the home bases can't be damaged, instead it will be an all-out fleet war, and when the last person dies (plex undeathinators can't be used during the event, you will be in a spectator mode upon death instead) and all AIs of one faction are destroyed, the base will be captured. Please note that any base of the two factions can be captured, and I'm hoping that there will be an option to assist factions during that event too, or an event between multiple factions).
    6. Home bases will be invulnerable for a certain amount of time once the first one is created (very first one or the first after the previous one was captures), meaning that they won't be able to be captured until that time has elapsed.
    7. The home base of small factions, by which i mean factions consisting of 3 or less players (number isn't definite, may be a different amount), can't be captured by another faction unless the small faction has attacked them or helped one of their enemies during an event. Once the home base of that small faction has been captured, that faction's status will be reset and their home base can't be captures again, unless they attack another faction or help an enemy of a faction during an event, and then the whole process starts again.
    8. The attacking faction can stop if there are only AIs left, and the event can also be stopped if all factions agree to stop.
    9. If a home base is captured, it will be destroyed. If the home base is a space station all the blocks will just be destroyed, but if the home base is a planet, the planet will explode and all the blocks that formed the home base will be destroyed. The items in the plex storages will be added into an infinite inventory form which items can only be taken, and they must be taken within a time limit, otherwise the inventory will clear itself. Also random loot will be obtained.

This should speak for itself. Another version of this could be that there are allowed to be weapons and turrets on the home base and that in an event the faction module of the home base self will have to be destroyed. The larger soft cap for the home base would be lower than in the version above, though. Server owners will be able to chose between the two if both are implemented.

Reaction score
    Because of the amount of grammatical errors i can't be sure to have understood everything you were trying to say (no offence here, my english is probably just as bad). But as far as i understand i have to disagree with nearly every part of your idea.

You start your post with the argument, that it is a waste of ressources to build turrets on your base since they are indistructible. Your idea how ever doesn't change that in the slightest (yes you mention a way at the very end but there you suggest a completly different idea from the one you explaned). Despite that, i don't even think that turrets on homebases are that useless. You (normally) can't dock each and everyone of your ships to your homebase and since they are just flying around, your homebase can provide them extra protection.

Now to your ideas themself:
    1. I don't know how you think this impenetreble auro should work but i think it would be extremly anoying to keep flying against invisible walls because you just happen to get to close to a homebase. And if it is just a warning telling you to leave, you will still have a hard time figuring out how you have to travel to move around a faction homebase...they are not as visible and easy to avoid as suns.

2. If your first point is in effect, there already wouldn't be any need to build turrets on your base since enemy ships won't even be able to get close enough for your turrets to fire.

3. Yay...yet another reason to never ever build a second faction base.

4. Isn't that already the case?

5. I am not that much a fan of capturing a homebase but i do see it's appeal. This way of doing it though is not very much to my liking. Imagine you are just in the midst of building a ship and this event starts. If you don't have ship nearby which is capable of fighting you are pretty much f****d.

9. And this part right here is what i have to disagree with the most. This way war-events are nothing more then grief events. The winnig Team doesn't gain anything but the satisfaction that they destroyed hours of work from the enemy faction. If you, as you suggest in number 3, have your whole factory in your homebase your faction has to pretty much start from scratch. This would be immensly frustrating. Especially if you keep in mind that the enemy didn't gain anything at all by destroying you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    4. It was an edition to, and I now know a better word for, the aura, which I will just call a barrier feom now on, since that is what it is.
    2. I said this because people probably still want to build turrets for looks, but that would go against the main idea here, and that is that the home base should be focussed on economy.
    3. If you know what the soft cap is, then you know that when you go over 1.000.000 e/s, each extra block added won't give as much energy as before, but that you can still stack them en masse. What I was trying to achieve there was that less space would be wasted on power blocks.
    5. My idea was that all the online players would have to go to one specific point in the universe and then, and only then, would the event start.
    1. The barrier, which is what I'm calling the aura now, would start slowing the ships that aren't of a faction or a friendly or neutral faction down, and eventually the ships wouldn't be able to move forward. Then they would have to go back.
    9. Firstly, and I think you might agree with this, home bases are overpowered, especially when my barrier would be implemented. (Please know that the only reason why I have that barrier is so there can be peaceful trading between factions on home bases, and not some random players waiting outside the base for a ship to undock.) So to counteract that, I want to implement a way to capture and destroy the home base. I did say there was an invulnerability time (read my post again if you don't know what I mean), which would allow factions to rebuild their fleet and home base.