Improved docking, planets, and other ideas

Reaction score
    So, I have yet to go through ALL the forums about ideas and improvments and sense there is so many, I figured I should just make a post on what I am thinking about here. Please excuse me if I repeat something mentioned sometwhere else.

For starters, building ships.

I have noticed, even with all the fun tools you get using the ctrl key, building large scale capital ships can still be a drag. One thing I think that should be added is a way to coppy and paste parts of the ships. For instance, building the hull. If you know how large you want it and you know you can say easily build 1/4 of it, then all you would have to do is coppy that one section and paist it three times, lined up with the origional. What could have been maybe an hours worth of work is now cut down to minutes. Of course I am not sure on the details of how this would work but it seams like a good idea.

Moving on, when building ships, I noticed it requires a core. Place the core and make the ship around it. Well, All my ships except for a few run into the problem that the desing forces me to place the core near the ships serface. This brings out the issue that it makes hitting the core after the shields drop less of a pain to enemy ships.I would like to rais the idea of backup cores. Like a second command station if you will. When one is hit, you have several others you can use to keep the ship running.

Another improvment I could see is a change to how shields work. Don't get me wrong, the current way they work is great and all but, there are still several other ways to work it, some requiring less blocks for starters. It seams to me the shield dispencer works like any shield generator but is limited to a spacific amount of shielding. To increas this you simply add more despencers. Considering the ideas I have sean comming around, if less than half the stuff people talked about was added to add more internal equipment, you will at some point hit the issue of space. Neadless to say, small ships would slowly vanish because people wan tthe big ones able to contain more rooms and so forth.

Point is, this can be semi avoided. Insted of using so many shield despenceers say you only use 5 stacked top to bottom. Then add a power sourse. Plop down some generators. Now what you have is added power flow to the generator increasing shield strengh. Realisticly from what I understand, you would do just that. The more power generated to the shield despencer, the stronger the shield. It simply frees up a lot of room.

Next your probably wondering how that itself would work when a power block placed down, or several, automaticly goes to everything. Answer, that changes. Add a new block or something ment for the transport of power. You place down a power generator, then several batteries. The batteries fill up and once full remaining power not stored is transported down the line to the target of intrest. Shields, engins, and so forth. This removes the need to stack your ship with so many power blocks. As it is, having multipal generators connected would increas the power created, thus increas your whole supply so, to prevent people going power crazy, you have different types of generators. Say one starts low generating say 100w of power. Then you have another type able to generate 200w then 400w and so forth. This allows smaller generators to power things not requiring vast amounts of energy like lights or doors. Adding these can overall increas space on a ship and allow room for say a lounge, crew quarters, mess hall, and whatever else you people come up with.

I would also like to see lifesupport and things of that nature added as well. Over all this puts more use to the plex doors. Some other things that you could add as well are AI people. A crew to work your ship. Of course this would also mean adding a command concel to tell them what to do such as make repairs and so forth. Over all at some point in the future, this will open the posability that you no longer have to be the one flying the ship. You can set a pack of quardnets you want the ship to fly in, then command a crew member to piolet the ship with three setings, Agressive in case you want to attack any enemys you incounter, defencive meaning you fight only if you must but continue on the path designated, or nutural, to which even if you are shot at, you ignore the enemy all together or whoever is there and just keep on flying.

Plus, there needs to be a better way to keep track of the locations you build your ships. i would advise making a window next to the catalog with a list of all your ships you made and brought into the world and their current sector location. This here I am sure can be done sooner than everything else.

Improved Docking System. I am sorry but docking a large ship is simply a royal pain in the ass. I am sure several people out there get fustraited with it as it is. So I came up with the idea of say docking clamps or tunnals. You have say a three by three plex door, You build hull around it to enclose the door. in each corner of the hull you put down a docking clamp block. This is how it works. Where your docking to has the same setup. Same size door and locations of the clamps. Using a docking computer, once within a spacific range you activate it. The claps on the stations lin up and connect. Now insted of fussing with the docking issue you currently have, the whole process has just been made simpular. Anyone agree? I figured this would solve a lot of issues with docking a large ship like say an imperial star destroyer.

Also, can we add ladders to ships? I see they are already in space stations but they are of good use in ships too. I think i kinda whet off my origional topic, Improving Ship construction+combat, so i changed it simply to ideas.

Okay moving on I am just going to list several other things I think should be added.

Larger planets: Make them spawn less often and replace the small ones with way bigger planets and maybe even try to make them fully round? This would allow Capital ships to land a lot better and even if not fully round, at least go bigger. Liek Bigger bigger.

Ground Vehicals: This game has a lot of potential and planetside warfair is one of them. Plus this makes moving about on planets easier.

Different level weapons and more variety of laser based weapons: Add a larger variety, and make some with a spacific use like hull penitration or missle deflection and so forth.

Variety of Shield types: This improbves your ability to block a larger variety of weapons. Like having a shield ment to hold up longer against shield penitration weapons and so forth.

Boarding Eveny Ships: Using the same docking method I mentioned to board, fight on, and capture enemy ships. This of course means having hand heals weapons and armor. Like minecraft.

So far this is what I have come up with. Let me know what you think?

Reaction score
    I find the idea of having secondary cores is a bit iffy, because cores are made to be placed at the center of mass and act as a fulcrum for looking up and down. If you made a ship with an L at 90 degrees clockwise, place a cockpit on the L and use it to look up and down you would notice a weird turning effect.

Reaction score
    And I would agree about what you say about the core. Trust me, I do everything i can to get the core as close to the center and deep in the ship as possable, however, with many of the desings I have, its not that simple. When I build a ship, I prefer to start with where the command center is. Normally i can measure out from the core to that location but on others I can not because the whole measuring system i have used dose not work with them. The semi smaller ships do not fit the cube dimentions I use. A three by three by three cube. I have used this cube as the basic hull desing on almost every ship I build.

Now this is when you may tell me then to just make another way to do the measuring. Trust me I am trying, but its not so easy. Then to add onto that, having one core that be the vital lifeline of your ship and nothing else to back it up makes nuturalizing a ship, sorry but its easy. You bombard one target on a ship and once the overheating process finishes, its all over. You have to buy or build a new ship. It would simply seam more pratical to have another system apart of that lifeline. A way so that even if the man core is hit, you still have a chance to get you and your ship out in one piece. If no one agrees I will lay the idea to rest. I do not wish to arge but destroying nay ship, expeciall with the week shields, is just simple, too simple.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I know what you\'re talking about when you talk about the cores of ships. It\'s immensely annoying whenever I try to build a nice ship, because I have a lot of trouble building a ship from the center out. I like to start at one end, and finish on the other. However, a second core is a bit... well, it could be abused. This would give people the option to place down the first core, build the ship, then make a stupidly hard-to-penetrate block around the second core. If not that, they could place multiple secondary cores around the ship and make it a royal pain in the ass to destroy. I instead suggest an option to move the ship core - you would go into advanced build mode and right-click on the core of your ship. You would then click a \"Move core\" option. Then you would select a spot to move the core to, and after releasing the left mouse button the core would move to that spot. Everything else you\'ve suggested seems like it would be a nice addition to the game.

Reaction score
    And yes, moving the core would be a good addition however, there is still the issue that when your whole ships lifeline is tied to one block, you can instantly whipe a ship out. Sorry but its way to simple. A ship with multipal cores, say 5 at most, is a better challenge to fight than taking down ships so easily. its too easy to do. Ships simply need to be harder to destroy. I would like to see more critical systems seperate to the core. That i am 100% sure about.