Improved display screens

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am not sure how feasible this would be from a programming perspective, but I would like to be able to see display screens show video. This could be implemented by linking one or more display screens to an SD cockpit (which should really be renamed to camera) thus changing the content of the screen to the view from that camera.
    A neat bonus feature would be to allow multiple screens to link to the same camera, stretching the view across four or more screens.

Additional uses for this would be:

Realistic Bridge.

Rear view camera visible during flight.

Large displays visible on the exterior of ships (have a camera inside pointing at the logo: many large displays outside show magnified version.

"Primitive" stealth systems. One could place cameras on one side of the ship, and displays on the other to create camouflage.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, along with being able to connect display screens to each other to make bigger ones.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This brings two things to mind:
    1. Cool stuff.
    2. Incredible LAG... like, 0.1 fps

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is done in a minecraft mod so I know it is possible and it would be awesome! Would allow for so much creativity with cockpits and bridges and the likes.

Reactions: MrTargareyan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't think it belongs in the next release or anything, but it would be nice.

Heck, while we are at it, why not have a "radio" block that will pick up the signals from the chat, and put them onto a display screen?

... and emit a signal when a new message comes in....

include more variables for the screen to handle, like
    Friendly ships
    Hostile ships
    asteroids
    planets
    Health of friendly NPCs

.... maybe another "sensor" block that alerts you to the arrival of hostile ships?.......
    .... no, scratch that, specialized sensor blocks that each emit a signal when a certain thing changes. If attached to a screen, they display a specialized graphic related to the thing.
    Example:
    Health sensors... friendly NPC health is displayed
    Ore scanners... ore concentration on the object you are facing with the sensor block
    Proximity scanner ... number of enemy ships

.... maybe a "sound" block to emit an alert chime when a signal is sent to it?....

All of this is "late game" content, but it would be cool to see someday.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This brings two things to mind:
    1. Cool stuff.
    2. Incredible LAG... like, 0.1 fps
    Yeah, this feature would make this game exclusive to players with accelerated graphics. Regular graphics users (intel) would be left behind. 3D graphics features can integrate an in-scene camera without too much terrible lag.
    If Schema is open to making it exclusive to graphic accelerators, then this suggestion is in the running. However, that's not the vibe I get here. I get the impression that the dev wants this game to be as widespread as possible, without regard to graphics accelerators (even though they help).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would be happy with blocks that just hide any own-ship blocks behind them (for now)

=> Camouflage :D
    But needs balance!
    Such as jammers only hiding beyond 500m ... dependent on active systems vs hull? --- another topic!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What would be really great would be if the text was editable in build mode.

Reaction score
    I am not sure how feasible this would be from a programming perspective, but I would like to be able to see display screens show video. This could be implemented by linking one or more display screens to an SD cockpit (which should really be renamed to camera) thus changing the content of the screen to the view from that camera.
    A neat bonus feature would be to allow multiple screens to link to the same camera, stretching the view across four or more screens.

Additional uses for this would be:

Realistic Bridge.

Rear view camera visible during flight.

Large displays visible on the exterior of ships (have a camera inside pointing at the logo: many large displays outside show magnified version.

"Primitive" stealth systems. One could place cameras on one side of the ship, and displays on the other to create camouflage.
    I've discussed this with Schema when he initially added in the display blocks. While technically possible, there are concerns for the impact this may have a a players FPS, as it is calling for additional renderings (if this is wrong, its due to my lack of understanding of how that stuff works) We *MAY* include it at some point, but consideration will have to be made first. Here's hoping Schema can work some magic (I would LOVE to see this too)

Reactions: Valiant70