IMPORTANT: for the upcoming turret update

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    When turrets are not in use, there needs to be a way to press something and return ALL turrets to their default orientation. Right now you have to get in each one and press C, which is annoying and time consuming.

Alternatively, the turrets could re-orient themselves automatically when out of combat.

Either way, this feature is necessary.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    its a long overdue feature, we need it now more than ever since we will have more points of articulation

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Maybe bind it to the 'C' key so that when we reset out ships rotation it resets our turrets as well.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It would be great if there was a timer, like 30 seconds after the last hostile signature left the navigation computer, after which the turrets would "reverse animation" - e.g. rotate back to default one axis after the other, and send a logic signal we could use to, for example, reverse the rail animation (if you built one) that "retracts" the turret. As such, a turret would always automatically re-orientate, and you could choose if you wanted to manually retract them, not have them be retractable at all or use the signal and auto-retract them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The community has been suggesting this since forever, bump it every day until it gets recognized at least!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Very much agreed. Currently (as of last time I was at my PC) you couldn't even auto center turrets with the new system but they would center as soon as you go into build mode.

Another thing we will absolutely need is the ability to place blocks when another entity is right next to the entity you are editing. In the old system the gap would allow you to work on a turret without the mothership blocking it. Now because there is no gap you will never be able to modify the bottom of your turrets and other docked entities without detaching them first.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well we got this "Combat timer" already, i believe it was 60 seconds, currently used on the shields to switch them back into idle mode, maybe its possible to just add a function into that already existing code to autocenter all turrets once the timer runs out.

Last edited:

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well we got this "Combat timer" already, i believe it was 60 seconds, currently used on the shields to switch dem back into idle mode, maybe its possible to just add a function into that already existing code to autocenter all turrets once the timer runs out.
    Yes. There is literally no reason why anyone wouldn't want turrets back in their default orientation after battle, especially since soon, the default docking orientation is ours to determine! So no implementation hassle and no potential problems, either.

The new turret system will also resolve the issue of your turret barrels suddenly peeking inside your ship interior or similar derpy stuff, but still, default rotation restoration = only acceptable option really.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It would be great if there was a timer, like 30 seconds after the last hostile signature left the navigation computer, after which the turrets would "reverse animation" - e.g. rotate back to default one axis after the other, and send a logic signal we could use to, for example, reverse the rail animation (if you built one) that "retracts" the turret. As such, a turret would always automatically re-orientate, and you could choose if you wanted to manually retract them, not have them be retractable at all or use the signal and auto-retract them.
    I like the idea behind integrating the turrets and logic. My only suggestion would be instead of having the turret detect being in combat to add a logic block that preforms the function and let AIs be enabled and disabled by logic(no active AI would return the turret to it's resting position). This lets other ship functions be triggered by combat and avoids the potential problem of turrets activating while they're still inside a ship if they're retractable.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Another thing we will absolutely need is the ability to place blocks when another entity is right next to the entity you are editing. In the old system the gap would allow you to work on a turret without the mothership blocking it. Now because there is no gap you will never be able to modify the bottom of your turrets and other docked entities without detaching them first.
    Bug report that sucker to death! It's certainly not a feature, and it sucks, so it must be a bug.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Bug report that sucker to death! It's certainly not a feature, and it sucks, so it must be a bug.
    It's mostly a byproduct of collisions I would guess. It's normally only an issue if you are trying to patch up damaged stuff, or your building style is all over the place, but would be nice to see some coded exception for docking.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's mostly a byproduct of collisions I would guess. It's normally only an issue if you are trying to patch up damaged stuff, or your building style is all over the place, but would be nice to see some coded exception for docking.
    In any case, since a block won't go in an open space, I say it's a bug.