Impact damage

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Might be neat to see impact damage that ignores shields that increases with velocity and mass and all that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are already a few threads on ramming.

http://star-made.org/content/ramming

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    GAUSS WEAPONRY, HERE I COME.

Awwwww yiiiissssss.

And for all those Halo fans, that MAC Canon, huh?

-----------

More seriously though, that\'s a great idea, but you\'d have to make sure to be cautious with balancing top speed for these things. As weird and illogical it may sound like, it should to some degree have an inversely proportional max speed for it\'s potential damage area dictated by it\'s size (talking of the projectile -- or ship even). Otherwhise big starships could fire \"shells\" 3 times the size of smaller ships, and go at the same speed a bullet would go. How the hell\'d you dodge that? Boom, scatter-vaporized on impact.

Of course, if can\'t go slow.. because... then how the hell would it do any damage? A small \"Bing\" on the hull would be all there is to it.

Therefore, weaponsmith would have to cautiously think about the balancing and mass of their projectiles rather than just go \"BIGGER BETTER\". For such a weapon to be balanced too, velocity of the projectile should take into acount the actual length of the weapon, because to need a projectile whose efficiency and potential penetration is calculated by it\'s mass/velocity, the thing\'s gonna need a really good swing, and not just a nudge forward.

I really love this kind on weaponry idea, as it would deal with many of the complaints about monstruous shields, though you\'d still need a pretty big gun like the one we\'re discussing to get through. I would love to see a mechanic for gauss mechanic to be implemented, but that kind of weaponry requires more than simple \"size of generators\" and raw energy input. To hurl away mass at ferocious speeds, you\'d need actual mass to throw, and that means ammunition pool (which isn\'t implemented so far). And in the event that your gun wouldn\'T be of the magnetic kind, then you\'d also have to think of a recoil because, LORD. There\'s no resistance or near to none in space right? Firing a material shell that powerfully without any sort of knock back for small ships would be ridiculously overpowered.

Your idea has gotten me thinking, and I love what possibilities it opens, though I don\'t think I\'d like to see it before Beam weaponry makes an appearance, or before the game is more polished, as a gauss mechanic would reuire a lot of balancing and calculations for the game creator(s).

Would like to keep hearing what others think of this kind of weaponry.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    well I like ramming weaponry,a mac weapon would be difficult to balance for the dev but I have another idea :

RAMMING SHIPS !

The ships will need to have heavy forward shield that need to be deactivated before the impact (making it difficult to pull). The front of the ship having a piercing contact weapon which pierce the enemy ships hull and then..Heavy Infantry assault inside the ships (yeah I watched some Star Wars). For ballancing it more, the dev could add that the hull pierced is deprisurized, needing the infiltration team to act quickly before running out of air.