I'm working to make a StarMade Server and I was looking for suggestions and had a few questions bein

Reaction score
    So far StarMade has been a blast to play. I only been playing a couple of days but as a Server administrator and someone who loves running medium to large servers I'm a bit concerned on basic starting zone management. A lot of these fears are coming from my lack of experience with StarMade and hoping you guys and girls can shed some light for me.

1. Number 1 fear is that when a user starts out and spends their credits that I know are adjustable but rather them start low, that if they buy parts and go off and get killed that they seem to be royally screwed on the server for life. Meaning they seem to not be able to do anything but quit and make a new user. Is this truly the case is it a pretty hardcore mode?

2. While testing we got owned by pirates in our start system. 2,2,2. I found this sweet command: /sector_chmod 2 2 2 + peace, This command worked well! I'm wondering now if someone since I suck that the math period if someone knows how to protect 2 systems up down n,e,s,w and do you think that is a fair starting zone size to help prevent pirates and campers?

3. PVP is fun and PVP is bad. Is there a way to set PVP Area's and regions? How does one prevent getting into PVP? I heard there was something related to claiming but not sure what they mean by it. But sounded like you can faction own a system?

4. I noticed that our spawn store ran out of parts and the worst part they were the power modules so everyone who died was dead in the water. Once again I found a hand command: /shop_restock But is this some how automated to refill overtime? Is there a way to maybe build automated system to try keep this fully stock to prevent this in the future? I hear you can make factories not sure if it can be automated to use a store system.

5. I saw that players can place a store down. At the same time we tested I was able to pick his store up. What gives is there a way to protect this?

6. Is there any suggestions or comments or hidden secrets I should know about? I want to run a great server for the players and make their starting of the game as painless as possible.

7. If I wanted to change one thing about StarMade and it's a great game but I wish I could have a different starting feature. Maybe rather then start on space you start on land etc. Don't get me wrong I love the game a lot I just like that one extra layer of maybe having to start from a planet and making your way up!

8. Oh yeah last question! Can I make like a big super city at spawn and maybe change their binds to it? Also I wonder if I will have to deal with players spamming shops all over spawn... SO many questions :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1. They better not spend all the money on the first ship they build, and securing their ships is a good idea (getting them away from spawn, and using faction modules, while in a faction, to avoid them from being stolen). Admins can help those who lose \"everything\" to start again. On NASS servers, there\'s one of the chat commands for !CORE that gives free cores to stranded guys, automatically.

2. Yes, it is, but \"peace\" is only against MOB spawning, it will not protect everything from being damaged/killed by players, for that you also need \"+ protected\".

3. Help section for that (on this site). But yeah, every faction can have a homebase setup, with the faction module mentioned above.

4. You can have a script on server-side to keep restocking the spawn shop.

5. Faction protection, again.

6. Be active, and careful with the server.cfg settings for your server ^^ They can do a lot. Next comes scripting in bash code.

7 and 8. Simple, build a spawn station, so that new people spawn there. You can just have the station around the spawn shop, or delete the shop and put the station, or actually move the spawn points from there to a planet in another sector using the server.cfg settings. It is better avoiding planets as spawn though, not everyone will handle that fine on login.

yw, and have fun !

-Mike