I'm excited about the new docking changes coming, but...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Kudos to all the great design that has gone into the game thus far, it really has provided an outlet for my creative side, but a shift in focus needs to happen soon. I'm the defacto ambassador of the game to my online friends, and the longer that these updates focus on the minutia of ship building, the harder it becomes for me to drum up any interest in the game.

Players have been building ships non-stop since the game was made available, but there still remains very little to do with those ships once they're built. Exploration only yields lifeless planets and abandoned, or pirate, space stations. You can only shoot so many Isanths before it gets stale. My friends and I are in limbo until content is added to give the game life, and our ships meaning. That's not to say that additions and modifications to ship systems aren't needed, but ship building is entirely feasible in the current state. There are other parts of the game that need much more attention.

imho

Reaction score

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    *Insert This is Alpha comment*

but really, its not a misguided focus but merely implementing key game features.

If you ask me the game won't really take off until we either have:
    1. a balanced economy
    2. implementation of the quest system

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    The docking system is a key component of ship building. More content like spaceships, stations and other explorable content might rely on this system. If anything, all the major building functions of the game should be implemented before we get gameplay additions. I'm not against it, but if we have quests in the future to build a spaceship for an NPC, then it won't do much for us unless we also have shipyards. See what I mean?

Reactions: Ithirahad and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Based on the feedback of my friends, I'm really concerned that this game is up against Star Citizen's time frame for the fan base. Especially once the persistent world goes online, it'll be hard to find them anywhere else. My hope is that this game gets to a point where it can show them the promise of this sandbox before that happens, so they at least maintain some presence. I inform them of each update that comes along, but when it's just more "ship stuff," they're no longer interested and would rather wait for "something real to come out."

While the ship building capabilities and content have improved dramatically over the last year and more, that's all that has been available to do in all that time. I'm not meaning to belittle some major content that has been added, such as the spiral galaxies, spherical planets, and star bases. That's the kind of stuff that has drawn my friends back in for a period of time. The difference is that most of that has been improvements to the existing content rather than actual new content. We have only had hints of new content in the form of quest NPC's and spiders.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Star Citizen's time frame for the fan base
    I wasn't aware "In space" games were just a giant clump with only 1 fanbase. Starmade is a sandbox, SC is not and will never be to the same extent SM is. If they prefer SC, then they prefer SC, SM is a different game entirely.

Besides, Citizen has a fucking convey of hype-trucks and dribble little bits at a time. SM is fully open to everyone from the start with little in the name of long term promises or hype (We just kinda sit here and go 'yup, that's coming someday'), we won't get a grand rush like that upon release.

TL;DR - if you are worried about SC you're being silly, just like those other people and SE.

Those actually aren't ingame anymore, the new stations do not yet have the spawners needed to spawn them, same as pirate stations and their loot chests.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm not going to start discussing the merits of SC on the Starmade server, but suffice to say the persistent universe they describe is sufficiently sandbox that my friends (and myself) are excited about its eventual release. As for hype and dribbling tidbits, both games currently offer players an opportunity to play the game in its unfinished state while we wait for release, and both games are dribbling bits to us as they implement the features.

That is where this thread gets its legs - my concern that this game isn't going to get its place in the sun before SC eclipses it. I'm not saying this is true for all players of the game. I'm very hopeful that this game will command a robust fan base all its own regardless of SC's presence. What I am saying is that, based on the waning interest of my friends who have been playing the game for the last year+, I hope that Schine is looking at the development chart and planning on focusing on content beyond ship building in the near term. It is my perception that the game needs to demonstrate the promise of what toys will be available in the sandbox for us to play with. I want my friends playing this game with me.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm not going to start discussing the merits of SC on the Starmade server, but suffice to say the persistent universe they describe is sufficiently sandbox that my friends (and myself) are excited about its eventual release. As for hype and dribbling tidbits, both games currently offer players an opportunity to play the game in its unfinished state while we wait for release, and both games are dribbling bits to us as they implement the features.

That is where this thread gets its legs - my concern that this game isn't going to get its place in the sun before SC eclipses it. I'm not saying this is true for all players of the game. I'm very hopeful that this game will command a robust fan base all its own regardless of SC's presence. What I am saying is that, based on the waning interest of my friends who have been playing the game for the last year+, I hope that Schine is looking at the development chart and planning on focusing on content beyond ship building in the near term. It is my perception that the game needs to demonstrate the promise of what toys will be available in the sandbox for us to play with. I want my friends playing this game with me.
    don't worry about games like Star Citizen, which isn't even an apt comparison, Starmade's unique gameplay and design will be able to attract players in time. But I will concede that it would benefit the game if the next "Big" update is the Quest system. That way schema can give players the tools to entertain themselves while he works on the other features like the AI revamp and the shipyard system.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    But I will concede that it would benefit the game if the new "Big" update is the Quest system.
    The problem I see there is the question system was tied into the faction point system, a way to generate FP in SP. Problem is that faction points are fairly hollow and meaningless right now, so even if we got quests, there would be no gain from it, aside from maybe being able to start creating adventure style maps like in MC.

Stuff like mobs and critters would probably need an AI rewrite as well, as would NPC fleets and custom AI factions. All these grand features that would keep people entertained are kinda walled behind some fairly hefty sounding updates themselves, and I recall Calbiri saying he was gonna push for thrust/hp next if he could, which would aid PvP (which is all we really have atm).

Honestly, I feel like the next 'big' feature should be an AI overhaul, as that would open up a lot more options for future updates and actually make them usable, despite not adding anything to the game directly itself. You need a good foundation to hold the supports of what will be 'gameplay'.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The problem I see there is the question system was tied into the faction point system, a way to generate FP in SP. Problem is that faction points are fairly hollow and meaningless right now, so even if we got quests, there would be no gain from it, aside from maybe being able to start creating adventure style maps like in MC.

Stuff like mobs and critters would probably need an AI rewrite as well, as would NPC fleets and custom AI factions. All these grand features that would keep people entertained are kinda walled behind some fairly hefty sounding updates themselves, and I recall Calbiri saying he was gonna push for thrust/hp next if he could, which would aid PvP (which is all we really have atm).

Honestly, I feel like the next 'big' feature should be an AI overhaul, as that would open up a lot more options for future updates and actually make them usable, despite not adding anything to the game directly itself. You need a good foundation to hold the supports of what will be 'gameplay'.
    adventure maps/custom missions, yes
    early game credit generation, Indeed.
    centralizing factor for ship design, yup
    new player hook, you got it
    Reason to keep playing, better than nothing

Im fully aware that there are other matters that absolutely need work but the most common complaint that we keep getting is "its a ship building game". I know in a sandbox we all have to find our own reasons to keep going but for a game like this where ship building is designed into the way you play, we play by finding reasons to build ships. Currently if you're not creative then theres really no reason to keep playing beyond your first few days.

The AI overhaul would definitely help the quest system the most and should be done first but it won't change the fact that theres still no reason to go out and fight. Turtling up in your station/base will just get slightly more interesting. and thus the "This is Alpha, just wait a light longer" response will continue to be used in threads about how boring the game is.

All I'm saying is that even creative players like you and me need a bone thrown to us so we actually have something to do other than just build. schine can continue to work on the other updates while keeping players entertained.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    All I'm saying is that even creative players like you and me need a bone thrown to us so we actually have something to do other than just build. schine can continue to work on the other updates while keeping players entertained.
    There was a thing discovered recently in chat, and if it actually goes through, we may get a new Schine member and suddenly the Modding API seems like a tad bit less of just a far off dream. If we do manage to get the API and groundwork done, then Modding can cobble together the actual features until Schema can focus on them.

With things like questing, we already have half the system (we have half of a lot of systems), and most of it would be player-created anyways. You can change the buttons and dialogue, and you can buy Player items like guns and such, all we really need there is the ability to change the Meta-item you get (to like a ship BP for example) and change the cost of buying from credits to maybe a block or another meta item. From there, it's just scripted events (which is basically spawning/AI) that we are really missing, aside from an easy interface. We actually aren't that far away surprisingly.

Anyways, the problem is that there is so much that needs to be done, and a lot of it is ground work is still needed. Schema seems to be focused on slowly increasing all the bars at once instead of just the focus into a particular direction. You can't argue that some of the stuff that has been added lately isn't stuff that has been long since requested, and some of the 'bigger' features like mobs and questing hasn't been as demanded for as long as those.

But until then, we need more tournaments or contests. More things like Blood and Steel, the Thunderdome, or even Warsong's April build challenges are what we have to entertain ourselves (Aside from on-server events).

Sorry for a late response, I woke up this morning to a Huge lists of notifications for some reason. Seems this got missed.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    There was a thing discovered recently in chat, and if it actually goes through, we may get a new Schine member and suddenly the Modding API seems like a tad bit less of just a far off dream. If we do manage to get the API and groundwork done, then Modding can cobble together the actual features until Schema can focus on them.

With things like questing, we already have half the system (we have half of a lot of systems), and most of it would be player-created anyways. You can change the buttons and dialogue, and you can buy Player items like guns and such, all we really need there is the ability to change the Meta-item you get (to like a ship BP for example) and change the cost of buying from credits to maybe a block or another meta item. From there, it's just scripted events (which is basically spawning/AI) that we are really missing, aside from an easy interface. We actually aren't that far away surprisingly.

Anyways, the problem is that there is so much that needs to be done, and a lot of it is ground work is still needed. Schema seems to be focused on slowly increasing all the bars at once instead of just the focus into a particular direction. You can't argue that some of the stuff that has been added lately isn't stuff that has been long since requested, and some of the 'bigger' features like mobs and questing hasn't been as demanded for as long as those.

But until then, we need more tournaments or contests. More things like Blood and Steel, the Thunderdome, or even Warsong's April build challenges are what we have to entertain ourselves (Aside from on-server events).

Sorry for a late response, I woke up this morning to a Huge lists of notifications for some reason. Seems this got missed.
    Absolutely! however, although this works, an easier way would to get markiplier or pewdiepie to play the game. right now, i'm surprised the whole minecraft beta community hasn't swapped after the Yogscast played it. that could be bad though, as most of the remaining community is squeakers. I don't think i've opened my launcher in almost a year.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Absolutely! however, although this works, an easier way would to get markiplier or pewdiepie to play the game. right now, i'm surprised the whole minecraft beta community hasn't swapped after the Yogscast played it. that could be bad though, as most of the remaining community is squeakers. I don't think i've opened my launcher in almost a year.
    As the OP said, there isn't much to keep people interested. The Yogswarm mostly died off after a month or so I hear, and the Steam release was a flop, because there was not much to do with the ships you built. We need to get to at least Beta before we try shooting for publicity like that, especially poods (maximum e-e right there).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is just one thing that is bad in my opinion.
    If peoples buy StarMade, do they buy StarMade or Access to the community content?

Maybe it would help if more peoples would have access to 3D-Printer hardware for their ships (and SM an export-function to a compatible format)

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What we need is programmable blocks. Those could go a long way to help the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, what we most need is patience. ;)

In a game as complex as this it's quite silly to start building an AI event creation system as long as not all intended game mechanics are in place and have proven their stability, otherwise you can start that part over and over again after each update and before you know you have an unmaintainable mess of little bits of code littered all over your precious source files.

Of course I'd love to see things like inhabited planets, unexpected perils and discoveries in space, random meetings that could generate quests and all that, and I'm sure that will come some day, but as said, first things first. :D

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    There is just one thing that is bad in my opinion.
    If peoples buy StarMade, do they buy StarMade or Access to the community content?

Maybe it would help if more peoples would have access to 3D-Printer hardware for their ships (and SM an export-function to a compatible format)
    3D printing is not the future, and i'm one of the people that originally supported it.
    however, i would think that it would be best to have a "server key" where you can have more special things if you have the game bought.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm excited about the new docking changes coming too, but...

My attempt to make a four-legged walker was thwarted by our apparent lack of some property of friction... The thing just wiggles around in place. :|

...Anyway, I kinda agree. But then, I see what Schema's doing too, and it's not bad... I used to really want Schema to change directions and focus more on quests and "content" but now I think I'll just sit back and watch what happens. It's been... not what I had originally wanted, but more than satisfactory nonetheless. I'll keep pushing for certain features, but I certainly won't try to grab the helm console and lay in a completely new course and heading any more. :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Kudos to all the great design that has gone into the game thus far, it really has provided an outlet for my creative side, but a shift in focus needs to happen soon. I'm the defacto ambassador of the game to my online friends, and the longer that these updates focus on the minutia of ship building, the harder it becomes for me to drum up any interest in the game.

Players have been building ships non-stop since the game was made available, but there still remains very little to do with those ships once they're built. Exploration only yields lifeless planets and abandoned, or pirate, space stations. You can only shoot so many Isanths before it gets stale. My friends and I are in limbo until content is added to give the game life, and our ships meaning. That's not to say that additions and modifications to ship systems aren't needed, but ship building is entirely feasible in the current state. There are other parts of the game that need much more attention.

imho
    Do you guys play online? I know there are sadly few servers that have a good balance and lots of players at the same time... But its much more fun on MP.

Reaction score
    I have a concern that by the time the game is developed enough to really take off with a larger number of people, that it will end up like eve online where new players pretty much have to join up with established ones because of the massive power difference between starting and long established players. That's a big turnoff for a ton of people.
    This game doesn't really have the concept of safe sectors guarded by space police with renewable resources and then venturing out to find danger when you are ready. That's pretty critical if you want to attract new players.

At the moment the biggest change I would like to see is eliminating 90% of the stations in the game and replacing them with asteroids in genuine belts and a few more and larger planets. Right now you can't go anywhere without tripping over a station (comically unrealistic number) and seeing pirates so it VERY quickly becomes a fight and salvage game rather than a mining and crafting game since that's a hella faster way to end up drowning in whatever type of blocks you want or the credits to buy them.
    I want to see maybe one station per star if even that (uninhabited systems should be normal). It would be perfectly reasonable to see small patrols of fighters and maybe a small capital ship instead of a full station as well.

The pirates are also way too aggressive and well developed in the starting sectors, without my stolen turret starting strategy I would have stopped playing because multiple times I was mining an asteroid or planet and got sniped by someone I didn't even know was there (clunky mini map doesn't really help).

I would actually like to see everyone forced to start over when we hit beta and have a system that is more mining and crafting oriented so you really have to work to get established without any shortcuts. Its too easy to get going exponentially fast if you know what you are doing right now. Things to do as a weak newbie other than concentrate 100% on building yourself up strong enough to fight are also critical.

Reactions: NeonSturm