If you could add/change/remove one thing in Starmade, what would it be?

Reaction score
    I currently don't play because I login to see 0 peoples online from my faction.

I never used fleets because I have no real reason to play if I don't do anything with logic setups.
    I think a big problem of factions is, that people tend too stay in their old one for too long. So you can't reqruit guys easily that are actually in a semi-inactive faction fearing to loose their old faction, even though it wont be active for the next few weeks.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think a big problem of factions is, that people tend too stay in their old one for too long. So you can't reqruit guys easily that are actually in a semi-inactive faction fearing to loose their old faction, even though it wont be active for the next few weeks.
    That's why I joined a bigger one on teh biggest server, but still almost nobody ever online.

I think we really need a new stable now with good mechanics before factions go on again.
    Who builds stuff which won't work in the new versions anyway?
    In the current PRE, turrets seem to be inactive

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    a dev team that can tell its arse from its elbow

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    add: 3rd person view that is proper
    change: distribution of resources in the galaxy
    remove: all galaxies except the spawn galaxy

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Take every "exploit" that was made possible by logic or complex designs that was ever removed and put them back in, then add some more. Then approach the whole thing from the perspective of balancing their difficulty to implement with a reasonable ROI instead. The BEST part of this game has always been that technology comes from actual RnD and not some timer fed by tech points or sliders in a chamber system. Starmades isn't about grinding to make a better ship, you innovate.

Personally I feel some of the best patches in this game were the "hack-job" patches. Like when chain drives were limited to 30ish hz pulses so that you still had reason to make complex logic drives, but could not build super unfair X-drives and before it was dumbed down to just need a simple not-delay clock, or worse... chambers... At some point there were no less than 5 very different approaches to the chain drive problem, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, but all better than the out of the box approach. It gave factions unique design philosophes. Being Thrynn or Vaygr or MagicTech was not just a name, it was the collective secretes your faction had discovered.

Non

Reaction score
    Take every "exploit" that was made possible by logic or complex designs that was ever removed and put them back in, then add some more. Then approach the whole thing from the perspective of balancing their difficulty to implement with a reasonable ROI instead. The BEST part of this game has always been that technology comes from actual RnD and not some timer fed by tech points or sliders in a chamber system. Starmades isn't about grinding to make a better ship, you innovate.
    Definitely, but there is a point where exploits do become a problem, when anyone not using that exploit ceases to be able to compete. Tech should be a thing encourages people, not ruin peoples will to fight.

Reaction score
    ...Then approach the whole thing from the perspective of balancing their difficulty to implement with a reasonable ROI instead...
    Definitely, but there is a point where exploits do become a problem, when anyone not using that exploit ceases to be able to compete. Tech should be a thing encourages people, not ruin peoples will to fight.
    Yes, that is was my point. The other thing "exploit" tech does though is encourages fewer but larger factions which creates a stronger community. If a good ship is harder to make, you wont see everyone just making 1-man factions.

Reactions: MacThule

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A competent resource system that is simple enough for new players to understand, and has enough meaningful content for the veterans of the game, since tbh the thing that has been killing the game the most is how irritating it is to spawn in ships with BPs (look at the dramatic drop in activity when buying ships with credits was removed)

Uh, not self promotion or anything.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Some semblance of lore.

I understand that gameplay is very complex and developing them can take a very long time. While I want Schine to focus on improving the game I have always said that if they want to give players something meaty they can dig into in the interim then they need to add some meaningful story.

We've had some bits of lore when the game was initially released but when schine was officially created all lore bits have been scraped clean from the game. Now the only thing we get in terms of the lore is what criss writes in his thread on the default assets and off handed comments from schine now and then about starmade's "Story" if there even is one at this point.

I've said time and time again that if schine wants starmade to have very little story thats fine but if they really wana give it some spice then they need to do it in a Dark Souls fashion. Vague hints about the universe/characters told through item descriptions and NPC dialogue/game mechanics. If you know anything about the Dark Souls lore community then you'll know the absolutely ridiculous amount of discussion and theorizing that goes on. Hell for a time I wanted to buy DS2 and eventually DS3 just for its story/lore implications rather then its game play. In a way half of the fun of a soulsborne game was the mystery surrounding its world. Which in turn generates discussion, word of mouth, content, and best of all interest in the product.

If Schine could just put together a creative/interesting story then it could give us something to look forward to as the game develops.

Reaction score
    Some semblance of lore.

I understand that gameplay is very complex and developing them can take a very long time. While I want Schine to focus on improving the game I have always said that if they want to give players something meaty they can dig into in the interim then they need to add some meaningful story.

We've had some bits of lore when the game was initially released but when schine was officially created all lore bits have been scraped clean from the game. Now the only thing we get in terms of the lore is what criss writes in his thread on the default assets and off handed comments from schine now and then about starmade's "Story" if there even is one at this point.

I've said time and time again that if schine wants starmade to have very little story thats fine but if they really wana give it some spice then they need to do it in a Dark Souls fashion. Vague hints about the universe/characters told through item descriptions and NPC dialogue/game mechanics. If you know anything about the Dark Souls lore community then you'll know the absolutely ridiculous amount of discussion and theorizing that goes on. Hell for a time I wanted to buy DS2 and eventually DS3 just for its story/lore implications rather then its game play. In a way half of the fun of a soulsborne game was the mystery surrounding its world. Which in turn generates discussion, word of mouth, content, and best of all interest in the product.

If Schine could just put together a creative/interesting story then it could give us something to look forward to as the game develops.
    I think that this is more of a server level issue. The game is designed to allow for ANY lore. You can have a startrek server or a starwars server or a server with its own lore or a server meant to be true open sandbox, the lack of canonical lore makes diversifying servers easier. The admins on Light vs Dark actually address this very well: the server has its own quests and back story and politics built into it at the server level using a custom wrapper. I think a better solution would be if there were more Lore adding admin tools or script hooks so that your server admins don't have to figure out how to write convoluted wrapper scripts for everything.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I think that this is more of a server level issue. The game is designed to allow for ANY lore. You can have a startrek server or a starwars server or a server with its own lore or a server meant to be true open sandbox, the lack of canonical lore makes diversifying servers easier. The admins on Light vs Dark actually address this very well: the server has its own quests and back story and politics built into it at the server level using a custom wrapper. I think a better solution would be if there were more Lore adding admin tools or script hooks so that your server admins don't have to figure out how to write convoluted wrapper scripts for everything.
    agreed but what about the base game? what about the player who only plays single player? Should the base game be devoid of lore just for the sake of multiplayer role play?

If a server wants to rewrite the lore to something else then I fully support better admin tools that allow that, in fact I want players to come up with their own themes and stories for their servers, but for the sake of the game's public image a base lore would help frame things better then just plopping players into a massive universe with distinct factions and diverse and varied technology and not have any kind of explanation why.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Make your own story and let Schine focus on adding actual features
    but they were doing both before they decided to scrub the game clean of story. Besides they keep hinting at lore but never seem to want to elaborate on it further.

if your saying that devs can't do both simultaneously then what about the fact that the devs of Empyrion actually added default lore to their game when before it had none. They're also trying to promote player creative freedom with their scenario editing tools that can be used for both single and multiplayer so they clearly want players to come up with their own stories. Whats good is that this still allows players to experience the default story if they so choose.

G

GDPR 302420

if your saying that devs can't do both simultaneously
    I never said that, I just said that actual features should take priority over lore.

but they were doing both before they decided to scrub the game clean of story. Besides they keep hinting at lore but never seem to want to elaborate on it further.
    They are not elaborating on lore further because they are focusing on actual features, this is a good thing

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I never said that, I just said that actual features should take priority over lore.

They are not elaborating on lore further because they are focusing on actual features, this is a good thing
    And I'm not disagreeing with you. Although considering whats coming one could argue that they have trouble doing that too.

What I'm trying to say is that writing some contextualizing lore doesnt take all that much effort. Writing GOOD contextualizing lore does and thats something I don't expect schine to do right now(but it would be much appreciated). If some one in the know were to write up something then slip it into an update (considering schema's tendency to just add features in on a whim that wouldn't be very hard) it could add a whole lot more to the game then just ship building.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    And I'm not disagreeing with you. Although considering whats coming one could argue that they have trouble doing that too.

What I'm trying to say is that writing some contextualizing lore doesnt take all that much effort. Writing GOOD contextualizing lore does and thats something I don't expect schine to do right now(but it would be much appreciated). If some one in the know were to write up something then slip it into an update (considering schema's tendency to just add features in on a whim that wouldn't be very hard) it could add a whole lot more to the game then just ship building.
    The earlier they add proper lore the harder it can get to actually fit in certain ideas for the same "universe". Although this could be just an issue I have.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The earlier they add proper lore the harder it can get to actually fit in certain ideas for the same "universe". Although this could be just an issue I have.
    that sounds more like a feature road map problem and would indicate poor planning and an inconsistent and/or schizophrenic vision for the product (something Star Wars is currently going through).

Regardless, retcons are a thing, admittedly not a good thing but if theres any time to refine and edit a story its before its officially released.