If the Checkers board game was like StarMade

Reaction score
    If the Checkers board game was like StarMade:

* The board would have a tremendous number of squares and they would all be nearly identical
    * There would be no limit to the colors of the checkers
    * You could put checkers on the board as you obtained them
    * You could move your checkers anywhere on the board anytime you wanted to
    * Other players could take your checkers off the board when they wanted to
    * If you whined enough about losing your checkers somebody might give you some
    * Any number of players could join or quit the game any time they wanted to
    * The only way you could keep other players from taking your checkers when you're away from the board is to put them in a lock box

The lack of consequences in-game is what makes StarMade almost pointless to play for an extended period. You can safely remain at your faction base isolated from all other players because there is no need for trade; income is easy. Adding 'awesome' features to the game that make things easier to do won't improve that situation, it will make it worse.

Current gameplay is mostly building and shooting. Battle is not needed but players who want it often arrange it. AI reduces the number of players needed for battle and the interaction between those players. You can passively watch your AI turrets fire at your opponents AI turrets.

StarMade is an excellent 'game space' that needs some limits to make it more interesting and engaging. Determining those limits by committee or by popular vote would probably yield poor results. Polling may suggest some improvements but it rarely produces a desirable product on its own. Almost nothing pleases everyone, and that's what committees often seek to do.

This is a task that requires a singular vision of the game's goal. Many people have crafted alternate styles of gameplay in the past, but until the better of these plans rise to popularity StarMade may eventually be reduced to a little-played voxel design toy. We can do better than that for a game that holds so much potential.

Reaction score
    Negative Nancy!

Though, some things I do agree with. It's an early alpha still man, new things will come, and 'reasons' and 'consequences' will be among them

Reaction score
    I certainly hope you are correct. This game has much potential to create a large fan base.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Mushrooms use the null-sec (- - - sectors) as PvP zone and +++ sectors as protected zone.
    There could be a goal to hold outposts in null-sec and a weekly updated leader-board.

I rather want StarMade being mod-able to replicate everything - from StarGate to StarTrek to Andromeda, ... - than requiring a completely fleshed-out own balance.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Devaluing credits is a good start

Also disabling ship blueprint purchase with credits is an even better start

Finally nerfing the shit out of shop spawn rates really hits the spot

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Devaluing credits is a good start

Also disabling ship blueprint purchase with credits is an even better start

Finally nerfing the shit out of shop spawn rates really hits the spot
    dont disable ship BP purchace with credits totaly
    make it so that there is a special block of extrmely high price that can be placed to allow you to buy a ship with credits when u are withing 100-200 meters of it
    also allow it to be placed on existing ships so u can buy more in battle if u have to but make it have like a 5 minute cooldown
    and make it cost alot (max cash mabye. witch is around 2.4billion i beleive)
    so anyone who does put it on a ship will be more inclined to protect it and put it only on there most secure ship (ship in your fleet with the most sheilds and turrets to prevent the enemy from taking it out to stop your side from bringing in more ships

Reaction score
    Oh boy, I would've thought this would get a lot more shit than it has.

Nevertheless, barring aside the whole 'muh alpha we're testers' and 'muh small team of devs' you're kinda right. Kinda. The economy in game is something people have wanted fixing first. However, (in my opinion) there are things that are going to need to be changed first before that is added, the reason for that being the major changes can jumble up the freshly-fixed economy and the major changes could actually help the economy as a side effect.

But really, 'muh small team' really does matter here, most alpha indie games of this calibre have a team of 4-5 programmers who have plenty of AAA experience. I'm not calling Schema undedicated nor am I calling him unskilled, I'm just saying there really IS a small ass team of maybe 2 programmers working their arses off.

Look, the point I'm getting to is that they can only work on a single thing at a time, with some stuff on the side and bug fixes too...they can only do so much and I can understand why people are pissed off, but just have faith. And, if you can help program a little for them...

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    dont disable ship BP purchace with credits totaly
    make it so that there is a special block of extrmely high price that can be placed to allow you to buy a ship with credits when u are withing 100-200 meters of it
    also allow it to be placed on existing ships so u can buy more in battle if u have to but make it have like a 5 minute cooldown
    and make it cost alot (max cash mabye. witch is around 2.4billion i beleive)
    so anyone who does put it on a ship will be more inclined to protect it and put it only on there most secure ship (ship in your fleet with the most sheilds and turrets to prevent the enemy from taking it out to stop your side from bringing in more ships
    No, shut up. Using credits to buy ships is the #1 reason skubmade combat and economy is as cancerous as it is today. I mean, why the fuck would i go to the effort of crafting/manufacturing when I can just fly by a station and nom all the glass/plexlights off of it? Hell of a lot less effort for the same purpose. Keeping the economy a closed system would go INCREDIBLE lengths to fix its sorry state.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Every server can be set up differently. The vanilla configs are meant to test the game out. You know, cuz it's in friggin alpha still. And free. Still. All a server admin has to do is change the value of blocks by one order of magnitude and BOOM, balanced economy.

It's a real shame no one has thought to make and maintain a 'better' balanced config set and post it as a mod for the game. Just a thought. It might be more effective doing something about the issue rather than all this back seat driving.

Reactions: Runeseer