If disintegrators were warheads that can penetrate shields

Reaction score
    Think of the tactical possibilities and variety of weapons that could be made, if disintegrators could be useable warheads that didn't just bounce of an opponents shields, but could pass through them and detonate right on the hull?

Torpedos could be made, maybe enhanced AI that could make them homing. Cloaky torpedos :)

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    For instance, a disintegrator block can be triggered to explode by direct weapons fire from an AMC. So a point defense system is necessary :)

Reaction score
    Military commanders used to think real life torpedos\' were overpowered because they were so successful at sinking battleships, circa 1880\'s. The first torpedo was the white head torpedo. Of course it was kinda hard to deploy, and it didnt home in. Changed Naval Warfare tactics from that point on. The Catholic church tried to have crossbows banned because any peasant could pick one up and kill a knight? So what\'s your argument that it\'s overpowered, other than to say you don\'t like it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like this idea as well... As of the current state of the game, disintegrators do not make too big of a crater in anything, even when you string many of them together. Large ships would not be completely destroyed, unless torpedoes were deployed in truly huge numbers. The limited ammunition of DI weapons systems means that while effective, they are not the \"end all be all\" of naval combat. Commanders would have to gauge whether or not a given target merits a torpedo to soften it up, or even more than one, given that a larger threat could later present itself.
    Fighters would be, if not immune, at least somewhat safe from this type of weapon, as they are fast and manuverable enough to avoid contact, or even shoot them down.
    I have always hated the straight shields/AMC head to head in the current game balance. A third option or even as many other defensive options as possible, would add to the game\'s depth.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Of coruse, Ixalite is correct, but it seems noone has heard of super fast titan ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s a really cool idea. Perhaps you could combine them with already existing or new types of blocks to create nukes? The areas that are affected by the exsplosion could be doused in radiation, and if you stay there too long you\'d die. Meaning you could actualy render planets inhabitable, but maybe a cool down on radiation could be added so it isn\'t like that forever.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    You can get a preview of how these would work by directly planting them on ships which don\'t have faction blocks (or have faction blocks that you have set to your faction), and then setting them off by ramming them with a drone (the impact sets them off, and since they are attached directly to the hull of your target, they ignore its shields).

Reaction score
    A super fast titan ship would still have to try to evade a torpedo, unless they\'re well armored and don\'t care. That means the titan has to change targets, gets thrown off balance to deal with a threat, which smaller ships could use as opportunity to attack or escape. The idea being that torpedos aren\'t a perfect weapon, but add\'s tactical depth to the game.

Reaction score
    A super fast titan ship would still have to try to evade a torpedo, unless they\'re well armored and don\'t care. That means the titan has to change targets, gets thrown off balance to deal with a threat, which smaller ships could use as opportunity to attack or escape. The idea being that torpedos aren\'t a perfect weapon, but add\'s tactical depth to the game. The titan has to maneuver, back up or juke the torpedo or destroy it. You can even ECM counter measure it with radar jammers.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You\'re speaking of reality, which as I believe we\'re all familiar with, is not fair. As you may also know, StarMade is a so-called game, where power balance is not only desireable, but also enforceable, since the laws of physics are under the direct control of a sentient being. In other words, weaponry being overpowered is indeed an argument against it\'s right to exist.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure I like this. Yes it would be nice to have torpedos, but sheild-peircing is a bit silly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It\'s not necessarily overpowered... since disintegrators are actual blocks, then the torpedoes would need to be an actual ship, which means they could be shot down.

Reaction score
    What if it only went though half of the shields (IE half damage against a shielded target),

It would force people to build with hull i like it alot!

Reaction score
    I had an idea like this but where missiles do 25% damage to hull, meaning that a hugeass missile at 900 damage wouldn\'t be able to pierce a single layer of hardened hull. I think that idea is better, mostly because teh trolls would make a big ramship and murder someone\'s titan for teh lulz, as the disintegraters would cut right through the hull.

Reaction score
    A ram ship is vulnerable because the big disintegrator warhead is vulnerable to detonation if you shoot it. So yeah, you can kamikaze, don\'t get blown up first.

Reaction score
    Making disintegrators able to penatrate shields doesn\'t make it OP if you can counter it. Disintegrators aren\'t invulnerable to AMC fire and can be blown up. Although I do not disagree with you, overpowered weapons mess with game balance, I think this would actually help weapon balance away from AMC\'s.

Reaction score
    yea it will be nice if there will coem an real use fo the explosif but i got my own idea chage the nature of the block it self like let it pass shipsbut elt it be an EMP block or so so that u knock off the systems of u enemy for a short time or so and meaby a way that it it can travel like 1,2 times the server max speed when it has an ai module that says torpedo and that a ai with torpedo on only gets his focus on ramming and yes a jammer or claock option for torpedos may be nice untild like 75blocks away

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Quite frankly, I think the idea of Area-Of-Effect explosive weaponry, even future-tech, being more effective than single-target laser weaponry on forcefields, is just silly. Lasers would make sense to penetrate shielding since they\'re of the same kind of thing: electromagnetic radiation, which can be fiddled with: given more energy so they overload, resonated with, whatever, to cause a null zone where the shielding doesn\'t work.

Personally, my gut feeling is that disintegrators\' main thing should be their area of effect feature: they attack multiple blocks at the same time, not just a single, focused target.

I feel focusing on this unique selling point of the disintegrator blocks, rather than doing a rock-paper-scissors style strengths-weakness thing would be the best way to go.