Read by Schine Ideas for NPCs

good idea?

• yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
    • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • needs work but good core idea (please post in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    So before i start i want to give some credit to this post - http://starmadedock.net/threads/exp...tual-empire-building.21437/page-2#post-238153 - because this is the post that got me thinking about NPCs, go check it out.

if you read it you might see the similarity to some aspects but if you did not, thats fine i am posting AM original idea.

lets start, when i play starmade the universe feels dead it's an interesting feeling with all the derelict stations you feel that you are wandering among the wreckage of a great race destroyed by pirates, actually i like the feeling, it works well for a survival game it is also how i feel when i play minecraft, adventuring through abandoned mines overrun by monsters. but for starmade it is clear the world is not dead (the trading guild) but instead recovering from the pirates.

That's how i play the game you might think differently thats good it creates variety BUT the point remains the world of starmade is not dead but how can everyone be a pirate OR work for the trading guild so i have thought of some great ways to integrate NPCs into the game.

1. a pretty obvious one but civilian stations these stations might mine minerals from nearby planets or asteroids and are more likely to spawn in systems with LESS pirate stations. These stations could come under attack from pirates or you could attack them they might even give you missions for rewards, all the interaction you have with them will add to or subtract from your reputation with them (more rep means better rewards). you can also hire crew here sometimes.

2. single player shops: you create a shop block and NPC ships will travel to you and buy your stuff

3. mercenaries: you would be able to pay NPCs to attack a station. This would work in the map view all the stations (or ships if scanned by antenne) they are WILLING to attack would be highlighted you can click and it will show you a calculated price (based off how strong that ship is hp, weapons ect...). mercenaries will have a generated "willingness" this is a score that determines how willing to take risk they are and each ship or station will have a risk score if the risk score is higher than the willingness score they will not attack it. mercenaries will not attack things that are too far away.

4. allied stations: by being really nice to a station they might help you out when you are attacked by sending ships or be hostile towards your factions enemies OR if they don't like you they could hire some of those mercenaries to attack YOU.

i think these could add some more interest into the universe later on in the game, please post any ideas you have in the comments :)