Ideas and personal testing; release of code

Would you like to see Dev kits implemented?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've seen many ideas, some imagined by capable coders, so why does the Dev team not simply release code so that the capable coders in the community can test thier ideas and fine-tune them.

This will allow proof of concept and take time off of the requirement of the Dev team developing and then implementing ideas and new features!

I'm thinking either a free dev kit for coders, or a small payment of perhaps £3-£5 for a dev kit that updates to the latest Dev version and code, allowing budding authors to contribute to a rapidly evolving game :D

The point is it wouldn't just be instantly uploaded, but would then be able to be downloaded and added by the Dev team after they themselves have tested it for flaws and such. *Added

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Because the game is in early alpha and not open to this yet.

Also, having a few hundred coders working on a project is a good way to ensure it crashes and burns like the Hindenburg.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Because the game is in early alpha and not open to this yet.

Also, having a few hundred coders working on a project is a good way to ensure it crashes and burns like the Hindenburg.
    The point is it wouldn't just be instantly uploaded, but would then be able to be downloaded and added by the Dev team after they themselves have tested it for flaws and such.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Hrmm, Only way to explain my thoughts on this, is to compare it to Minecraft Modding. So I will o -o

Why do I think of MC mods? Because Installing mods have all sorts of possible issues. Each Modding Team is independent, so there is no communication, so when you try to use their mods together, they don't always work, For Various Reasons I might add (I've seen 2 mods completely incompatible because they both modified Trees in a different way).

I Bring that up because allowing Dev kits would Virtually create "Pockets" of coders, Small groups working on their Own thing with very limited communication and code sharing with other groups, So that when all the pieces come together, they might not even fit, or may even Undermine each other (Example, 1 Mod allowing you to Bypass a difficult and time consuming Crafting Recipe from another mod).

And Finally; Not all ideas will be added to the final game, And will result in some people working on Features that Schema does not want in the Vanilla game, which will at some point create a rift in the community methinks. Not to mention all that extra Testing WILL take quite a lot of time, and Schema will more or less have to rebuild the Code in order to add it to Engine (I don't think Copy/Paste works well in gaming, could be wrong though).

Though I do think Schema could use a few more Dev team members (Someone new to do the AI for example), Cause while Schema is our Cat-God, there is certain areas he lacks in :u And I would like to see more people working on the game. But a Dev kit available to the public would cause Chaos within the Game methinks -w-

Anywho, thats my 2 cents worth~

Reaction score
    The point is it wouldn't just be instantly uploaded, but would then be able to be downloaded and added by the Dev team after they themselves have tested it for flaws and such.
    So you want them to work on the game AND evaluate peoples mods? No. Let them make the game and only the game. Leave the modding for the future when there is a solid game to actually mod.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having a "dev kit" once the game is much further along, perhaps actual release, for actual modders would be a good idea. Letting the masses have the code now would be a horrible idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So you want them to work on the game AND evaluate peoples mods? No. Let them make the game and only the game. Leave the modding for the future when there is a solid game to actually mod.
    I'm not talking modifications here, i'm talking about the community being able to not simply write ideas down, but be able to test it themselves and then hand it over the Schema and Co if they like the idea enough to experiment with it, let alone add it.

Again, the idea is primarily a higher level of community in-put then normal, perhaps Schema could give people he considers worthy the dev kit?

Reaction score
    Being part of a indy game project, adding more hands (be it indenpedant workers) to a project this early or any time before final release would cause why too much distractions to even count.

Plus it would allow people to create whole new stray builds that could effectively bleed away the overall retail value out of the game. Thus creating deadware.

So I would wait until a mod dev pack comes out in a release stage version of the game...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm not talking modifications here, i'm talking about the community being able to not simply write ideas down, but be able to test it themselves and then hand it over the Schema and Co if they like the idea enough to experiment with it, let alone add it.

Again, the idea is primarily a higher level of community in-put then normal, perhaps Schema could give people he considers worthy the dev kit?
    That is literally modding. Mods are just unofficial modifications of the game. Technically speaking, DLCs are just official mods.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If it could be free for the ones who already bought the game it would be nice.