Idea for shield system

Reaction score
    Hello everyone!

So heres the idea: Shields Computer.

How it works and what it does: the current shield regenerator block would be converted into this computer and would require u to drag it to the tray like any other computers (weapons, effect). First of all the shield capacitor would regain its old way of function as it provides both shield cap and regeneration at a certain ratio. This is what the computer would override.

The shields computer would allow control over shields capacity and regeneration rate as well as power management. For simplicity and function linking to shield blocks would be unnecessary. This allows player to have multiple shields computer and similar to effects it can be activated. Each computer could be used as a preset like max capacity or maximum regeneration rate or simply adjusting to each players liking.

So it should have 2 slide bars one controlling ratio between cap and reg the other is power consumption.
    If u move it toward cap u will have less regen rate and higher capacity and vica versa, as for the power consumption it would control the effectiveness of the system having a minimum power requirement, if u go below it your shields will slowly decay and turn off, at this setting the regeneration rete would get a medium penalty and cap a small/none penalty but power consumption would be very very low even for enormous shields. A "normal maximum" where the system operates at 100% efficiency and 100% power consumption with no penalties. And finally override portion where its power demand would drastically increase for more slight cap increase and medium bonus to regen rate.

TL/DR shield regen block turned into shields computer that controlls shield capacity and regeneration ratio and power consumption for effectiveness.

I hope u like the generic idea :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    nah cause then it could be too OP, the way we have now is simpler and better

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    How would it be OP to make high regen - low capacity shields or vice versa?
    You can already do that with the current system. Only issue I may see is with the power slider suggested. Part of the design of the ship is accounting for supply and demand of power, and being able to turn off power costs in battle (when regen is tiny anyways) just seems cheap to me somehow o -o

Idea seems very mirco-y anyways, it's like the old weapon system applied to shields. More control over the shields through a GUI might be nice (directional shields), but additional computers and stat sliders doesn't seem like the right way.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You can already do that with the current system. Only issue I may see is with the power slider suggested. Part of the design of the ship is accounting for supply and demand of power, and being able to turn off power costs in battle (when regen is tiny anyways) just seems cheap to me somehow o -o

Idea seems very mirco-y anyways, it's like the old weapon system applied to shields. More control over the shields through a GUI might be nice (directional shields), but additional computers and stat sliders doesn't seem like the right way.
    I think that you misread the "How would it be OP" as "How OP it would be"

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I think that you misread the "How would it be OP" as "How OP it would be"
    I honestly don't see it as "OP" exactly, just something that discard another aspect of intelligent ship building, but I may have worded it weird.

Another issue, instead of turning regen off, is turning it up in battle as you lose shields o -o 3k/7k shields? Better lower that to 5k and boost my regen. Is that remotely OP? Maybe? I dunno, I ramble. Ignore me now.