Read by Council Idea for jump drives and star systems

Reaction score
    Real life star systems are light years apart from each other, a distance so astronomically huge it's hard to even comprehend. But in Starmade it's as if they're literally touching each other, and can be traveled between even without the use of a jump drive. The game could benefit very much from a few changes to make the universe more immersive and believable. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

1) Make interstellar travel (between systems) require a jump drive.

2) Rather than a whole new jump drive for interstellar travel, expand on the functionality of the current one. In addition to charging til full to jump 7 sectors or so, have a second "layer" of charge (like how a boss might have multiple layers of it's health bar). The first charge works exactly as it does now for in-system travel, but continuing to charge further into the second layer will allow for a jump to the next system. The second layer would require more power than the first, because of the much bigger distance being jumped. There could even be travel time or a new warp speed effect to differentiate between an interstellar jump and an in-system one. Combined with the first point, this would make the universe seem MUCH bigger and more immersive without touching world generation.

3) Interstellar jumps can only be made a certain distance away from a star, and the destination also has to be outside that same distance.

4) Just a quick last thought, perhaps have a whole new hyper drive system for galactic travel (between galaxies) that can only be used at the edge of a galaxy.

Basically, I feel like the current universe doesn't feel near big enough, and like I said, these are just my thoughts on how to make it feel more like it should. There are probably many other ways to achieve the same goal, so share your thoughts.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like your idea because it lends its self to a more immersive and believable universe :)
    I especially like the idea of interstellar jumps only being possible a certain distance from a star. Not only does this make sense because the star's gravity could effect the jump but it also introduces more strategy to the game.

I'm unsure how much of the game mechanics would have to change to make this a thing, but I would like to see it happen.
    Your going to get quite a few responses that state it would be a problem to implement and that a change like this isn't worth it. Don't get discouraged by the naysayers . Keep the ideas coming :)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I like the double charge jump drive. We could easily get and advanced jump computer that lets you do this. Would be cool for capitol systems.