I made a Turbo Lift, One button control

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My question about this is: can you set a rail path from any starting point to any destination? or only the main elevator terminal.
    from any terminal... Because all terminals are just single button extensions of the logic. and all displays are copied from the logic as well. Full control from any terminal.

Also I just tested this, and it does still work after the spring cleaning update :^D

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i think i may have found a way to increase the stability of this.

Shootout rails are designed to to launch something when it reaches the end of the line. If something is blocking the end of the line the shootout rail wont launch it and the docked entity will stop dead in its tracks.
    starmade-gif-0001.gif
    the problem before was that if you changed the shootout rails to normal rails when the docked entity reached the end of the line you ran the risk if it accidentally undocking when the server reloads the sector. here ive doubled up on the precautions.

first is the obstruction. as long as the last block in the line is blocked the theres less of a chance of a accidental undock.

second is the fact that the two rails at the end r pickup rails. i tried this with the shootout rails and one time while loading the sector in i found that the docked entity had somehow undocked. ive tested this several times now and the entity is still being pushed back and forth.

i'll still run tests on this to make sure its stable but this might help make this thing a whole lot more viable.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is Incredible!
    I've also found that having two rails changed to pickup rails before a direction change seems to have the most benefit for stability. But this is the first I've seen of having an obstruction aid in stability. This is awesome news. My original plan was to take advantage of the pickup and shoot out rail's intangibility and place them directly in the shaft. This would save more room for system blocks. However given this new information, I think giving up some system blocks to make room for a rail system with strategically placed obstructions is well worth the increased stability.

Crimson-Artist, thanks for sharing

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    This is Incredible!
    I've also found that having two rails changed to pickup rails before a direction change seems to have the most benefit for stability. But this is the first I've seen of having an obstruction aid in stability. This is awesome news. My original plan was to take advantage of the pickup and shoot out rail's intangibility and place them directly in the shaft. This would save more room for system blocks. However given this new information, I think giving up some system blocks to make room for a rail system with strategically placed obstructions is well worth the increased stability.

Crimson-Artist, thanks for sharing
    You could use doors for the obstructions and have the best of both worlds.

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is all amazing.

Because of you madmen we shall have fully functional turbolifts.

Reaction score
    Is this system still working? I tried to make something similar for an elevatot but shootout rails shoot away my elevator after a few blocks, like if it collided with something, but there is nothing...

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I did test after the update, and I didn't have a problem on my gaming rig. However since the update shootout rails are allot more finicky to work with as they tend to shootout the elevator car more often now.

I'm going to use Crimson-Artist 's , and Calhoun 's suggestions of putting in some door obstructions to try to make it more stable.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i think whats causing the problem is that shootout rails can only have one direction change before they have to undock something. When all rails are changed into pickup rails then it resets the counter. The most stable version that i can see is one where all direction changes have the entire rail change into pickup rail plus obstructions over a pickup rail facing another direction.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hey guys,

I made a cool little concept turbo lift system. I'm pretty proud of it so I thought I'd show it off.

This may take me more than a couple videos to explain. But don't worry I'll have a Starmade Tech video out soon explaining exactly how I built it. :^D
    Sweet! :)
    [doublepost=1495585870,1495585693][/doublepost]
    Continuing with my research:

I was able to get the Call function to work without a hitch, and I got rid of the logic lines.
    Instead I'm using a clock, and sensors with doors to send logic commands.
    Not only does this get rid of the pesky logic lines, but it also makes the system allot easier to hookup.
    All you have to do for the call button is hook it up to two doors, and the select button only has to be hooked up to one door.

Next I'm going to combine the call button and select button into the same button so all you need to hook up at each station is the one button and one display.

It's going to be Awesome! :^D
    Cool! I've been wanting to do this for my own turbo lift project. I kinda dropped off this with the Wireless issues I was having.
    [doublepost=1495586211][/doublepost]
    I was actually experimenting with this a few months ago. Its really useful but i did find some rather sobering things about it.

The system has some stability issues when it comes to loading and unloading sectors. It works just fine when the system is at rest but there is a degree of instability when the car moves along the shootout rail. on rare occasions the docked entity undocked when re-entering/reloading a sector if it was previously in motion.

Another thing I found is that you can bounce them back and forth along the same line infinitely. This would be cool for pistons. however this is even more unstable.

after I discovered this now im not sure what to use it for since I dont want things undocking unexpectedly.
    Yeah, I found the same issue when using shootout rails for chain drive experiments.
    I would drop out of jump only to see my piston trundling along in front of me. The first time it happend I was like, "where did that ship come from from?" and then it dawned on me, "Oh wait, I've stopped jumping." Looked at my chain drive and an essential component was missing. Now floating off into the distance. :-/

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i think i may have found a way to increase the stability of this.

Shootout rails are designed to to launch something when it reaches the end of the line. If something is blocking the end of the line the shootout rail wont launch it and the docked entity will stop dead in its tracks.
    View attachment 41504
    the problem before was that if you changed the shootout rails to normal rails when the docked entity reached the end of the line you ran the risk if it accidentally undocking when the server reloads the sector. here ive doubled up on the precautions.

first is the obstruction. as long as the last block in the line is blocked the theres less of a chance of a accidental undock.

second is the fact that the two rails at the end r pickup rails. i tried this with the shootout rails and one time while loading the sector in i found that the docked entity had somehow undocked. ive tested this several times now and the entity is still being pushed back and forth.

i'll still run tests on this to make sure its stable but this might help make this thing a whole lot more viable.
    Oh by the way, I use plex doors a lot in my rail circuits to trigger activities at different points. You could do the same with a turbo lift. In fact I think I will. :)

Reaction score
    Hey guys,

I made a cool little concept turbo lift system. I'm pretty proud of it so I thought I'd show it off.

This may take me more than a couple videos to explain. But don't worry I'll have a Starmade Tech video out soon explaining exactly how I built it. :^D

This is something that I've been wondering about. I'm glad to see that multiple vectors is possible with one button instead of going floor by floor in a straight line. I'm very interested in a detailed map of how you achieved this once you feel it's ready! Have you posted a video by chance?