I Like the Cities

Reaction score
    I must say, I like the cities I have found on a few worlds. While horribly designed, they add a nice sense that the star systems are/were populated. If asked, I am sure that the community can assist in designing the pre-generated assets. Having both esthetically pleasing and functional Stations and cities would be nice.

For those who have yet to see them:

Reaction score
    It had some rather nice Loot in one of the buildings. I had to tear down a fair chunk to get to it though. ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would say they are easter eggs because they are so rare. Probably only 1 in 20 or so fo the earth like planets have cities on them. They look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3phMkQuWmA

The desert planets also have giant pyramids on them. They look like this: http://youtu.be/fWk5Tp6pKZw

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve started adding the planet generation featuers to SMEdit. The idea is to separate them out into four basic categories:

1. Shape. The overall shape of the planet. I\'ve got dome, volcano, giant\'s causeway, and undulating so far.
    2. Composition. This is what the planet is made of. This is paramaterizable and user configurable through an XML file. You can say which specific blocks to use, what altitudes (absolute or relative) they occupy, and what frequency they occur in.
    3. Vegetation. This is what gets scattered across the surface. (WIP)
    4. Buildings. This is like vegetation, but are pre-generated objects as opposed to single blocks (WIP)

So by picking and choosing from each category (and even applying mulitple selections from each category) you can create a very wide variety of planets.

All of these are done through plugins to SMEdit. Ultimately, when StarMade is open for modding, I\'ll write a crossover harness and all the plugins can be used straighti n StarMade itself.

The XML and plugin formats are being documented on the wiki.