I know they increased the power cap, but did they just double the power regen as well?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I literally cannot place enough weapon modules on this ship to burn through its energy regen.

In fact, I think I can now cloak my armor tanker. That seems like an issue. Was this on purpose?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The way the calc works increasing the cap basically (really simplifying it) has this effect since the bonus is cap divided by dimension bonus.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    The power regen cap *IS* what they doubled primarily from what I read.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    The power regen cap *IS* what they doubled primarily from what I read.
    but they didn't think it through and accidentally doubled the regen to the cap as well :/
    Its impossible to have a shortage of power now. \o/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Its impossible to have a shortage of power now. \o/
    Just wait til you try to transport cargo. My miner had 1.5 hours worth of asteroid mining spoils, 600-700k of standard armour and maybe another 200k of systems blocks in it's storages. Ship is about 20k mass. cargo is about 25k of mass.

Last edited:

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you have too much power... why not remove some?

Convert the space into shields, thrusters, or maybe even a break room for your crew?

I'm sorry but I had to throw my two cents in.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well a checkerboard beam grouping should burn through it all ^_^
    What e/s values are you guys getting now compared to what you had before?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    If you have too much power... why not remove some?
    Convert the space into shields, thrusters, or maybe even a break room for your crew?
    I'm sorry but I had to throw my two cents in.
    problem is, a power line/tree takes up so little space that its more of an issue of a "why bother", for said ship, it might free up 100-200 blocks of 21,000. Might as well keep it and just cloak everything I own. Have you fought a cloaked ship? It sucks, but it is also intense because if you can hit them, they take lots of damage due to being fragile. It is a nice balance. Or you need big turrets, but they suffer built in accuracy loss if radar jammer and cloaker is present and active, except for the missile beam turrets. If everything is cloaked, then everything is incredibly boring.

Well a checkerboard beam grouping should burn through it all ^_^
    What e/s values are you guys getting now compared to what you had before?
    Almost exactly double, example, a ship that had 348,000 power regen now has around 670,000 power regen

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    well i appreciate the change ... though it takes out a lot of "skill" to master the game. which actually could be a good thing probably just need to get used to it.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Okay, I fixed it. Reactors that produced 1mil e/s produce a tiny bit more than that with this, and the softcap is now 2 million as intended. I'm posting this in every thread where people are concerned about power generation.

With the PowerGrowth value halved, my 1mil e/s reactors still produced 1.4mil e/s rather than 1.05mil. The setting I chose gives the reactor I'm using for testing a power regen value of 1.2mil e/s.

Code:
    <PowerCeiling>2000000.0</PowerCeiling>
    <PowerGrowth>1.000278</PowerGrowth> <!-- 1.000696 normal, 1.000348 halved, 1.000278 2/5ths-->
    The halved value is the safest for small ships - the value I chose is only valid if you're using 1mil e/s and 2mil e/s reactors as the goal post.

I'm thinking 1.000348 may be ideal.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Drakkart: Why would it take out skill to master the game at all? i mean, all it does is change the scale. or change the ship size from which on upwards you need that skill. All it does is allow ships that dont use docked reactors and/or tons of power cubes to be more efficient and a bit bigger. Also keep in mind, that we have lots of things costing power now, which we had not when 1mil/s was introduced. Like passive effects, block mass and therefore heavier ships (when armoured) which need more power for thrust and (again) passive effects (more modules needed for same effect%) and now we have cargo which again increases your ships mass. I think that change makes absolute sense. And, as you mentioned, it also helps to players to build a ship that doesnt completely suck.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Drakkart: Why would it take out skill to master the game at all? i mean, all it does is change the scale. or change the ship size from which on upwards you need that skill. All it does is allow ships that dont use docked reactors and/or tons of power cubes to be more efficient and a bit bigger. Also keep in mind, that we have lots of things costing power now, which we had not when 1mil/s was introduced. Like passive effects, block mass and therefore heavier ships (when armoured) which need more power for thrust and (again) passive effects (more modules needed for same effect%) and now we have cargo which again increases your ships mass. I think that change makes absolute sense. And, as you mentioned, it also helps to players to build a ship that doesnt completely suck.
    It totally destroyed any semblance of balance or shipmaking thought for ships under 150,000 blocks, and further encouraged the usage of docked reactors by widening the gap between docked reactors and brick reactors further.

And just so you know, passive effects and thrust don't take up so much power that you have to double regen values when your ship is under 150,000 blocks just to move. Not even making the entire ship out of cargo blocks and overfilling it with multiple planets' worth of crap would make it unwieldy enough to justify having enough thrusters to drain all that power.

Reaction score
    well, now its 150k blocks, before the changes it was about half o_O still dont understand the drame to be honest. It needs less docked reactors for big ships (less lag etc) and the ships that dont need any docked reactors are allowed to be bigger. What's the problem? its really just a question of scale, nothing more... You really can't see?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    well, now its 150k blocks, before the changes it was about half o_O still dont understand the drame to be honest. It needs less docked reactors for big ships (less lag etc) and the ships that dont need any docked reactors are allowed to be bigger. What's the problem? its really just a question of scale, nothing more... You really can't see?
    Increasing the power cap is a question of scale. Doubling regen values was not. <_<

By doubling the regen values, they made anything that was under the softcap inherently unbalanced, and greatly encouraged using docked power reactors in larger ships, because everything with docked reactors suddenly had twice the power output and could afford to swap every turret and main gun for overdrive.

Reaction score
    you are still talking about the 1st hotfix, aren't you? the latest settings dont simply double the regen. a ship that had about ~800k now has about ~1 mil. Cause im referring to the latest hotfix. The first one had a wrong value for line ower bonus iirc.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    you are still talking about the 1st hotfix, aren't you? the latest settings dont simply double the regen. a ship that had about ~800k now has about ~1 mil. Cause im referring to the latest hotfix. The first one had a wrong value for line ower bonus iirc.
    Everyone *was* talking about the 1st hotfix.
    The most recent fix is exactly what everyone wanted after considerable discussion.

Reaction score
    ok :D damn, then most of our discussion was rather a misunderstanding. i was defending the first hotfix ONLY in term of cloak being overpowered. I already sayd that the 1st one broke weapon power cost balance.. i thought you still thought it broke the balance, even after 2nd hotfix...