I hate being a noob

Reaction score
    Well, I am GanonLosesAgain, and I hate being a noob, so, er, that is why I made this thread. :D

I have done my fair share of research on playing this game aleady, but there are a few things about this game I don't know yet. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I am not sure about if nstaing the game requires any otherpre-installed programs (Like MC needs Java), and I don't know how to update my game once new updates come out. This may all be realy simple stuff, and yuo al reading this may be thinking"NOOB" or "IDIOT" or "LAZY GUY WHO DIDN'TCLICK ON SO-AND-SO LINK TO LEARN THIS". Well, assure you, I am none of those thngs, just temporarily ignorant. I know that veryone hates noobs, though, andso I ask you guys to remove one more noob from this game by informing me of these things, along with any other questions I haven't asked that you thinkI should know, that are un-related to actual gameplay (Building, fighting, exporing, factories, etc.).

Thank you in advance! :D

Reaction score
    Most of use are nice people, if you don\'t annoy the hell out of us. :P

Reaction score
    Welcome to a forum that isn\'t League of Legends, therefore being a noob is okay.

and now to answer your questions:

To my knowledge, the only program the is required is OpenGL 2 which comes installed with most graphic cards. To update the game, yyou simply have to press the update and install latest version button. If it isn\'t greyed out, it means that there is an avaible public update. To install a dev build or an older version, you have to go to the version archive(or however its called), download the version you want and then simply replace the files in the starmade folder with the ones you downloaded.

Besides that, learn the basics of the game with youtube videos. Though most of the official tutorial have the very old textures, the gameplay concepts still apply. Things like how to build power generators and use factories aren\'t very obvious at first. Especially cubatoms. While there are no official tutorials for it, you can find multiple ones on yotube. Figuring cubatoms by yourself is a pain and can take a long time.

Reaction score
    Ok, sounds good. Just one more queston, how will I know if I do or do not have OpenGL 2? Will it inform me?

Reaction score
    If anyone has a good tutorial video for it can you link it to me in a pm?

Reaction score
    I have a friend who tried to install starmade, but got an error,could that be caused by him not having OpenGL 2?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It could be a problem with the download, or maybe his graphics card is a problem, most intel laptops have in uilt cards (methinks) so you have to update them. (If that is the problem the error message should give you a link)

Reaction score
    To my knowledge, there tends to be no rpoblem with downloads. Its probably the lack of RAM or an uncompatible graphics card(so a few years old as most new ones have everything needed to run the game)

Reaction score
    Ok, sounds good. I have also now successfully installed Starmade, however it\'s telling me to increase it\'s maximum memory capacity. So, how do I do that?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Being a noob sucks, it\'s the gaming equivalent of puberty. Don\'t worry, it\'s happened to all of us. I was a huge noob in 2009 when I first played Blockland.

Reaction score
    I didn\'t know how to increase the allocated memory for nearly 9 months so you don\'t have to feel dumb

Reaction score
    If your computer doesn\'t have a floppy drive, your graphics card most likely supports OpenGL 2. You also won\'t have to install anything for it, except maybe the official driver for your graphics card.

To install a dev build or an older version, you have to go to the version archive(or however its called), download the version you want and then simply replace the files in the starmade folder with the ones you downloaded.

Would this also be the way to update a server or is there something easier? (A real one with no GUI, of course.)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Most of the people here are nice, this aint no cod scrub forum.