HyperDrive?

Reaction score
    So I've seen the Warp Drive topic and I would really like it to be implamented but I would also like to make a suggestion on a HyperDrive. For example you put the module or computer on your ship and then you start going forward. After you reach the max speed you click on it in the hotbar, wait a few seconds and then you go into hyperspace (or something like that) where your speed doubles so you travel in 100km/h. And when you want to get out you simply click the module again and you're back. I know this sounds like the Star Wars thing but its a good method for getting around sectors faster instead of having to travel 30 mins to where you died so you can get your ship back. It could also be some type of engines, it's preference really. Thank you for you time.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    for the fact it has star wars relevance! Plus it would be nice to jump to light speed every now and then.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Probably be better for a speed above 100, something relative to the max speed set by user/server, maybe trebl it or something, but it requires like treble the amount of power you normally run, so would be viable for large ships

Reaction score
    I was just saying 100km/h for a reference. Considering that light speed is 300,000km/s, the max speed could be about 500km/h maybe? It could be higher though. I honestly don\'t know it one thing\'s for sure, it will use up plenty of power. It will need some balancing as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would suck if you go hyper speed only to go head first into an asteroid, that would be funny. \"OH yea going hyper speed, try to catch me now stupid pirates you can suck on my hey what the hell is that....OH GOD AN ASTEROID TURN TURN TURN\" Bonk.....and then the pirates catch up to you and start shooting

Reaction score
    I did say hyperspace, didn\'t I? Plus it could be like you can\'t take damage for about 10 secs in order to use it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This game needs new types of thrusters, frankly, so I have an idea for this- Less efficient, slower acceleration, but every one you put on increases your max speed by .5km/h (just saying that for reference; point is they increase max speed) and normal thrusters can then pick up the efficiency and acceleration once your max speed is comfortable. Naturally, this would be better for larger ships with more power and more room for thrusters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In my opinion, I think the warp drive should be built like a physical structure onto the ship, instead of one block, usefull for big ships I suppose. by physical I mean like a 3x3 cube or something... :))

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The ONLY way i can see a balanced warp drive to be implemented is to have the same dimension abilities like power cells, & the bigger the mass limit for the drive, the less chance you get ripped up in hyper space, so a ship with 6000 mass, would need ATLEAST 6000 limit, and has a 40% Chance to implode on entering hyperspace, (6100 limit would be something like 39% etc)

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    as shown in wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive that hyper drives should be availible in a rated system the highest number being the slowest and the lowest the fastest and of course you may need to buy more than one for it or them to get your ship to jump into hyperspace, but you can also run just one which will take more energy for mass to get the ship to move which would be great unless you have a ship that dosnt have enough power to get from point A to point B. and it would also be nice to have a calculating computer so you cant hit anything when you make the jump and in flight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I see what you all mean, but my first idea of a hyper drive is in navigation, you enter in a sector and then you activate the hyper drive on-board, which then warps you to that sector. Of course it would take tons of energy and like some of you said, some special types of thrusters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Has anyone really considered the possibility that space is MEANT to be hard to travel through? I admit that it\'s a bit overly annoying and slow right now, but we seriously don\'t need to be going all that much faster than the current speed... Let alone twice the current speed.

I agree with some form of fast travel, but it shouldn\'t be something that you can just stick on any ship and use, it should be something difficult to set up that allows restricted, but extremely fast, travel through sectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, there should be player made JUMP GATES that link two distinct structures - since they both have to be built, it isn\'t a free ride. You\'ll have to take the resources (or set up a factory, etc) at the \'target\' location. Once both jump gates have the same \"code\" they are linked.

Or, a one-way \"gravity gate\" that basically rips open a hole into a preset location (determined upon construction - not resettable). One way. Large structure requiring lots of power, etc. The ship approaches it, and instead of docking, uses a gravity drive (again, lots of power required on the jumping ship) and is \'teleported\' into the target sector - perhaps shields automatically drop upon landing, or some other negative consequence.

Also, being a massive gravity signature, the target sector gets a notice that a gravity gate has targeted that sector (bascially the same as the \'incoming attack\' transmission).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I should note, on a suggestion thread of my own, I set up an idea as to how this could work. I will paste a summary of it here now:

• Allows creation of Warp Beacon blocks. When placed, grant \"warp capacity\" to a specific region (perhaps a docking unit)
    • Teleports to another warp beacon setup within range (allow placing a faction block on a beacon to prevent some factions from passing through) chosen from a list.
    • Warp capacity cannot be exceeded; required warp capacity is determined by distance travelled and size of ship. Larger ships have a harder time going long distances. Warping also requires a huge amount of energy.

Encourages factions to set up strongholds which they can teleport to. This is not meant to support exploration, as this is very powerful and should be expensive.

Feel free to criticize