Hyper Drive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hyper Drive Would Be Rlly Rlly Awesome And It Would Be Way Faster Than Holding Down "W" For Like 5 Mins To JustGo Thrw Like 2 Sectors Thats The Only Feture I Dont Like, How Slow You Go I Would Love To Beable To Go Way Faster If You Agree Plz Comment And Say In It I Agree!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically, to use it, you need to input a destination. You must then wait a short time for the drive to charge before you teleport. During this charging period, your thrusters, weapons, and shields all go offline, making you very vulnerable if someone were to attack you (or if they already were attacking you, in particular). Shields would have to recharge from zero as well upon entering the destination sector.

How far you can jump is based upon how many jumpdrive blocks you have, with diminishing returns but NOT weighted against your ship size. So larger jumpdrives always can jump farther (and thus larger vessels will tend to be able to as well). And can still do so with vessels docked to them.

How long the charging period is is based on the jumpdrive block number, but IS weighted against your ship size and has mild dimishing returns as well. So larger ships with 5% of their blocks dedicated to jump drive will always take longer then smaller ships with 5% of their blocks in a jump drive, for instance.

So a small fighter may only take 5 seconds or so to jump. Maybe even less if its designed specifically for jumping. A frigate may take 10-15 though, and a larger ship may take a good 20-30 seconds to charge (a REALLY REALLY big one may take up to 60). In other words, you do not want to be using it near enemies unless someone is either covering you or unless you know you are dead if you stay regardless.

There, a teleporting idea that doesn\'t interfere with combat or place irksome limits on ease of movement. That said, jumpdrives would be good for moving 5-10 sectors, but limit their max range to around 20-30ish and you can allow a jump gate or something like that to be the long range means of movement.

Reaction score
    \"Basically, to use it, you need to input a destination. You must then wait a short time for the drive to charge before you teleport. During this charging period, your thrusters, weapons, and shields all go offline, making you very vulnerable if someone were to attack you (or if they already were attacking you, in particular). Shields would have to recharge from zero as well upon entering the destination sector. \"

That can work very well. But perhaps the systems should be weakened, not completely shut off.

\'How long the charging period is is based on the jumpdrive block number, but IS weighted against your ship size and has mild dimishing returns as well. So larger ships with 5% of their blocks dedicated to jump drive will always take longer then smaller ships with 5% of their blocks in a jump drive, for instance.\'

Maybe the more grouped together, the faster it goes?

I agree that there is a limit to the number to the sectors you can jump through. It would be rather overpowered if you were 20 sectors away from an enemy station, and you could suddenly just jump right into it with all guns blazing. Maybe 7-10 should be the max.

A hyperdrive would give carriers a real purpose, as a means to transport large amounts of material and firepower quickly and efficiently. If everything is just on conventional drive, fighters can more or less just catch up or surpass the larger ones.

I agree! :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    so what you want is a sort of ftl or warp drive like that get fitered in battle star galtica and startrek aslo the chose of how far you can jump could be dased of how jump dive blocks you have installed and how long there charged for

Reaction score
    5 is perhaps just a BIT too little, so I think 6-10 may be more appropriate.

Well, with the nav-20-sectors-away thing, you or a member of your faction could have already known of the station\'s location, and reported the coords to you.

Reaction score
    The best solution i can think of is scaling everything up to real life scale and make warp or hyperdrive the main for of transport. Planets ect would be stadard warp targets and anything under a certain radius would have to be found with scanners or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you wanted to make it difficult to just jump in next to the enemy base, you could require that there be a place to come out, containing special blocks to accept incoming ships.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I\'d like to see something along the lines of EVE, except you can only warp to cyno\'s* and everybody can only use cynos.

I\'d see it working like this. Any sized ship, (scouts in particular) would be able to mount a 1 block device along the lines of a warp beacon. It\'d show up in your hotbar and on a click it\'d drop a glowing white orb that is easily seen. It is active until you click it again. As soon as this is deployed, everyone in your faction gets this warp beacon at the top of their navigation tab. Any ship with a warp drive is able to jump IF it is inside the same region (ie 16 x 16 x 16 sectors). As soon as you do this, your ship has to orientate itself to the beacon, then accelerate to half of the servers max speed or the highest it can reach. As soon as it does this, the ship suddenly lurches forward and thus, enters warp. Somewhere on the screen at this moment it should display how far away the beacon is, most likely by sectors. Your ship slows as soon as it reaches its destination, with all power lost for, say, 5 seconds to prohibit something along the lines of hotdrops.

More blocks = quicker warp travelling and eventually, the ability to travel anywhere in the game. Thus favoring capitals and carriers when travelling long distances. Also, there would need to be something along the lines of warp gates. Gates = travel to any other gates. You can also construct your own gates at a high cost which is usable for anyone unless you slap a faction block on it. Player made gates can be destroyed, so the need to protect them is great.

Essentially, I think warp travel should be easy, and should be accessable by all, not just huge capitals or tiny fighters.

*Now, you might ask yourself, how does the scout get there in the first place? You can also jump to gates and by extension, friendly stations with a beacon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I vote for the simple teleport with delay and systems off... and I also suggest forcing stabilizers on to avoid cheating with inertia or being pushed by allies to dodge enemy fire while charging.

Reaction score
    theres are so many ideas there is a topic about warp gates already but its named stargates

anyway yes i think that warp drive should be added but i also don\'t think that smaller ships like fighters should have them a larger ship could have a warp drive on it a fighter would have to find a warp gate so that their is a reason to have a large ship if smaller ship have them then theres no point in having a carrier. and if you are asking yourself \"then what the point to having a smaller ship\" they are faster and more maneuverable making them great against other big ships.

another thing is i like the idea of the systems shutting down but i don\'t think the warp charge time should be of how many warp drive blocks you have i have something much more visual so what my idea is that how far the destination is and the mass of the ship smashes together and math is done and BAM there you have a power requirement and so if you take the jump it drains your power from the power bar and the amount it needs is filled up and when its met you go so the time depends on amount you have stored and the amount you generate and the power requirement should be BIG for far travels for EX the power dubbled ever sector so say its 30 sectors for a avg fidget its o 15,000 for the first sector then 15,000x itself 30 times. it add a realistic what and a way for people to take a break you know get to the facility eat and whatnot. iv seen ships gen 100,000,000 a sec so thats my idea i hope you liked it have a nice day say what you think.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On the navigation tab you could pick up a ship before its about to jump it would be something cool

-sir im picking up 3 enemy ships coming out of hyper space-

Reaction score
    It hurts my eyes seeing your posts, You Always Say Each Word Like This With A Capital At the Start Of Each Word.

Also, this has been suggested a thousand times(no exageration), and it\'s already been said that it\'s going to become an upcoming feature, when exactly, nobody knows.

Reaction score
    hello for start just say that i\'m french...

but i will try to say it in english.

So i think its better that its a hyperdrive (i will say hyperpropulsion okay?)

so when you activate the hyperpropulsion the engine will load energy during like 1 minute its depend of the weight and larger.. and the distance. but distance is illimited so if you start of 0, 0, 0 to go 30 , 30 , 30 with a big ship like a carrier (mothership) you will need to load during like 5 to 10 minutes, and its will take like 5 to 20 min to go there like in Stargate Univers a effect around the ship but you are not really move.. you just disapeair and a timer show you the time before you arrives to destination

for use hyperpropulsion you need to have Shield but like 20% of capacity of hyperpropulsion

so with a ship with a mass of 2000 he need like approximately 600 of shield energy or something like this

If you like my Idea Say I\'m Agree with Alpha-360

thanks to read me :)

(an other idea: do Chair.. because build block for passenger is boring..)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Has anyone read Ender\'s Game? If so I like their idea of ftl. But it is kinda a spoiler for the story so I won\'t say anything else but still.... it could work. If ppl really want to know message me and I will write it out for them

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve always felt that hyperspace (or any means of \'jumping\' spacial transit) needs to be really, really dangerous.

While I doubt we need to go as far as WH40k did and have the Warp be... Bad. Just... No. If that happens, I\'ll be happy in my sublight speed ship, thank you, I\'m not a fan of demonic posession and whatnot when it applies to myself...

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there. Anyhow, yeah, Bad Stuff needs to happen if someone is careless with a warp drive, which would then encourage sublight flight, making battles occur in realspace, while Warp is there mainly if you\'ve got a long distance and aren\'t currently doing something else except in extreme situations.

How about... A damaged block whilst in warp will gain a DoT effect on it and it will affect other blocks nearby it, gradually increasing in effect and spreading. You can stay in Warp as long as you like, but only so long as your ship is undamaged on the Warp and essential things, which should be very hard to maintain.

Warp could work like an instanced tunnel of glowy lights which, if you hit the edges of the tunnel, you enter realspace, and if you didn\'t turn off your Warp Drive before doing so, you recieve MASSIVE DAMAGE.

This way, fights still happen, and people still spend some time in realspace because Warp, although useful, is incredibly dangerous, and thus cannot be relied upon, but still allows for tricky players to use it to their advantage. It also encourages the building of ships with heavy hulls to slow down the DoT effect of Warp damage.

Time spent in warp should be analogous to 1/3 of the time spent at maximum possible speed of that ship in realspace to reach that destination. So it\'s not instantaneous on well developed, massive servers, to reach likely targets.

Also, I feel that if there\'s objects in your sector you can hit, Warp driving whilst facing them should be VERY VERY BAD. Because suddenly going at high speed whilst gaining access to your portable glowwy tunnel, partly in-universe and outside it, into a city block-sized asteroid is likely to be dangerous.