hyper beam

could this work

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    A weapon with a huge energy cost that instantly disables a shield or power regeneration. One shot would cost +- 40.000 power and would instantly drain most of the attackers energy. You can select the opponent's shield or the power and the beam would fully disable it's regeneration for 10 seconds. It won't drain the shields or power but it would prevent regeneration, therefor weakening the target until the cooldown is complete. in order to make this not too powerful, i came up with the insane amount of power required for the shot in order to prevent frequent use of it. in combo with a fighter/bomber squad this gun would create a nice strategy. sudden stop of power or shield regeneration could be too powerful despite the handicap for the attacker.

P.S.: sorry if my vocab and grammer are horrible

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    40k Power is not a whole lot I'm afraid, But you can sorta already do this.

Power Drain Arrays in Bulk, should they surpass the Enemy's regen, would leave a Ship unable to Move or recharge their shields. Once Logic blocks are officially added, you can set it to fire Power Drain + a High-Shield-Dmg weapon simultaneously, Therefore doing exactly what you suggested, except taking up a shit-ton of space o -o

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Even a medium-sized power drainer can drain 1bil power per second(like one of my turrets)
    So its easy for drainers to catch up with regen, even if the ship that is being drained is a huge titan.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you Build a Ship around the concept of using Power Drains, you can set their outputs at the end of a long Prong/pincer at the front of your ship. And Short range or not, if they run out of Power, they aint goin nowheres very fast :u

Reaction score
    i just wanted to make something like an ion cannon from star wars

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    New weapons update is coming, everything else is up to your imagination ;o

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you Build a Ship around the concept of using Power Drains, you can set their outputs at the end of a long Prong/pincer at the front of your ship. And Short range or not, if they run out of Power, they aint goin nowheres very fast :u
    Powerdrain beams are bugged, they don't out put from the forward block. It's completely random.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you want an ion cannon-like weapon from star wars?

Mechanics:
    New slaving block type: Ion canister: gives a weapon a chance to disrupt systems.
    Ion canister effects: Chance of one of the following: Loss of some power & power regen, loss of some shield & shield regen, weapon system shutdown & reload pause, thrust disruption. Removes chance of damage. Reload, range, and speed decrease.
    Chance of effect happening is determined by the size of the master weapon. The duration is related to the size of the target ship. Small ships recover quickly, large ships will not recover for some time. Magnitude of the effects is also determined by the size of the canister. A capital designed around this might be able to get 50% disruption. Disruption does stack.
    However, power regen on the firing ship is effected when firing (less than if hit, but still)

Reactions: DarthHonky
    Reaction score
    Better name:
    "Special Beam Cannon"
    That removes chance of any accidental Pokemon reference.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Better name:
    "Special Beam Cannon"
    That removes chance of any accidental Pokemon reference.
    Except that this is a slave system that can be used with cannons, pulsars, missiles, mines, lasers, and whatever else comes up in the future.
    I don't get what you mean bee pokemon references.

Reaction score
    Except that this is a slave system that can be used with cannons, pulsars, missiles, mines, lasers, and whatever else comes up in the future.
    I don't get what you mean bee pokemon references.
    Oh... I was just kidding. It's because Hyper Beam is a Pokemon attack... and Special Beam Cannon is from Dragon Ball Z... so they were both names taken from cartoons.

What do you mean by slave system?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can's place power-drains to cover each x/y block in your front, except you make an inverted checker-board behind the other.

I think it is a very inefficient method to target a single power block in the enemy hull + you can't remove hull covering it before you got the shields down = very inefficient for combat usage.

In most cases it is much easier to just core-drill than hitting a power block.

Additionally, if the enemy has any power in the storage, weapons and thrusters may drain it before you can suck it very often.
    It would be a lot more useful if every active weapon (active for 3x reload time or x seconds after last shot/usage?) would create power-fluctuations which would create an offset of not-usable energy in your storage. But it is not fun to have completely disabled ships.

After thinking about this above, I see that weapons which either work perfectly or not at all are not fun (if designed your whole ship for using them instead of having it as a tertiary weapon for the case others didn't prepare). Neither are weapons which work equally efficient all the time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm thinking that if you added a penalty of self-disruption (guaranteed) and the attack only had the chance of disruption, might get something pretty balanced. (provided turrets disrupt the mothership.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm thinking that if you added a penalty of self-disruption (guaranteed) and the attack only had the chance of disruption, might get something pretty balanced. (provided turrets disrupt the mothership.)
    They wouldn't(turrets have their own shield and energy requirements)

Reaction score
    How about a Weapon that instead of doing damage to the Shield does the same amount to the energy bar...so if one hit of a normal weapon would remove one bar from the shields this weapon would remove 1 from energy. This way you could reduce the speed of energy recovery just by shooting energy away XD