Hulls are worthless for armor (with numbers and suggested fix)

Reaction score
    Indepth post here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1imani/info_starmade_by_the_numbers_part_5_block_armor/

Basically, both hull and hardened hull barely block more damage than other more useful systems (power, thruster, weapons, shielding). They need a major boost in either HP, or damage reduction (armor)

mx

Reaction score
    hull HP value can be adjusted by the server admins. hardened hull on the server i play on got 400 hp for example.

no clue if the damage reduction % value can be adjusted too. but i wouldn\'t wonder if thats possible, too.

Reaction score
    Yes it can. Armor is actually much better to up than health because without armor to reduce damage health just melts away

Reaction score
    Also raising HP can cause a wierd graphical glitch, I just changed the armour value of hardened hulls to 80 and regular hulls to 50 giving them the equilvelent of 1000 and 200 HP respectively

Reaction score
    Yep, I ran into that on my server as well, you could heal them up multiple times and it would go from damage -> full -> damaged -> full and repeat. I tested it and it did gain more health the longer I healed them, but it took ages to heal them as well. I\'m guessing there is some hardcoded values in there somewhere causing that issue, or maybe because the server wasn\'t wiped and reset after the change. I just upped the armor as well instead.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Bear in mind that currently missiles don\'t care about armor values, and the best defense against them is either huge amounts of something cheap (e.g. rock), or a whipple shield.

Reaction score
    Yep:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1inobh/missiles_heavily_reduces_armor_value_ignores_and/

Unless you want to layer tons of it though, its worthless to even bother trying to prevent missiles from destroying your ship. Just keep them from hitting you (slow as molasses), or make sure your shields are up when they do.