How2do?

Reaction score
    I've tried to upload that boarding dave skin, but for some reason I just can't do it. Am I missing something? I downloaded the zip, and inside there's no PNG just a SMSKIN file and all of the tutorials tell you just how to edit a skin, or how to upload a PNG. Some clarity would be much appreciated, even if it's something easy I'm missing.

Reaction score
    when you start the game press the tab: Modding -> Load Skin -> and select the SMSKIN file

Reaction score
    It doesn't seem to pick up that file as an option, only PNG's.

Reaction score
    are you sure you are selecting "Load skin" and not "create skin"?

Reaction score
    Yep, I'm on it now. The only available option for me to choose from is PNG's, it wont even pick up the SMSKIN file.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Ah, the file that is "smskin" is a skin file that is already packaged.

How to use an SMSKIN file:

1: put it somewhere you can find it, perhaps make a skin folder in the StarMade folder or somewhere you can navigate to it easily again.
    2. Click the StarMade launcher, Click "start game", the Connection Setup launcher will appear.
    3. Go to "Modding" near the top of the Connection Setup window, click that and a drop down menu appears, select "Load Custom Skin"
    4. Click browse if what you want is not there, find that smskin file, put it there, hit "ok" and play as normal.

This should then load in the already packaged skin file.
    (I've been giving png files for people to package on their own, this allows people access to my files, to more easily make their own versions if they wish. The smskin file is already packaged, and available to use much more quickly. The person who made the skin has to decide which they want to give to people, as they are pros and cons to both. ^_^) Hope it helps!

Reaction score
    Ah, the file that is "smskin" is a skin file that is already packaged.

How to use an SMSKIN file:

1: put it somewhere you can find it, perhaps make a skin folder in the StarMade folder or somewhere you can navigate to it easily again.
    2. Click the StarMade launcher, Click "start game", the Connection Setup launcher will appear.
    3. Go to "Modding" near the top of the Connection Setup window, click that and a drop down menu appears, select "Load Custom Skin"
    4. Click browse if what you want is not there, find that smskin file, put it there, hit "ok" and play as normal.

This should then load in the already packaged skin file.
    (I've been giving png files for people to package on their own, this allows people access to my files, to more easily make their own versions if they wish. The smskin file is already packaged, and available to use much more quickly. The person who made the skin has to decide which they want to give to people, as they are pros and cons to both. ^_^) Hope it helps!
    As I said, previously. It wont even give me an option to choose the SMSKIN as a file choice, it'll only let me select PNG's.

Reaction score
    Yep, I'm on it now. The only available option for me to choose from is PNG's, it wont even pick up the SMSKIN file.
    you can select smskin files even though it's not in the files of type option

Reaction score
    Well apparently mine is being a derp, because it just wont show up. I've done it now though, just had to manually enter the file name and path. Since it wouldn't show up as a select-able option like most things are.

Cheers for the help.

Reactions: AnnaShade017
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Strange. Sounds like a bug or something. I do notice when I bring up "load custom skin" (I've only used "create custom skin" as I'm always testing skins before releasing them) it gives me the last smskin file I made. When I click browse, it doesn't say it's looking for smskin files, it's just blank. Clicking the drop down menu, it only says "png". So I wonder if you had the pngs, and then made it (any skin) that then when you went to load custom skin if you would have the same experience I had, where it's blank, and then you can put in the smskin file and everything's fine. I don't think this is supposed to happen. There are other skins with png files, you could test trying to make a skin (putting the 4 files in create custom skin) and then after making one there, going to load custom skin, and then go to browse, and putting in the smskin file you want instead of the one you just made?

- just an idea anyway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think AnnaShade017 basically covered it, but I'll go over it again anyway.

When you go to load the skin, in the drop down menu for file type, you will have a blank space (may say any or may be blank, deoends on your OS and OS version) and also a section saying ".PNG" If you have the PNG selected, only folders and PNG files will show in your file explorer, while if you select the blank space, all files, including "smskin" files should show.

I've experienced the same problem before myself, took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I could add the individual files to the zip, but I'd prefer not too as I don't want anyone to pass it off as their own. (Precaution, I believe most of the community here is better than that.)

Reactions: AnnaShade017