How turret shield works?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    1. Turrets receive 100% of ship shields?
    2. Shield in turret only protect the turret?
    3. Ship shield recharge will recharge shield capacitor in turrets?
    4. Ship ion will affect turret shield?
    5. Turret shield recharge will recharge shield capacitor in ships?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    1. 75%
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. No; it should help when the turret is drawing on ship's shields, however.
    5. No

Reaction score
    I could have sworn that everywhere I read said that turrets NEVER get the parent's shields, but from my experience, turrets behave like all other docked entities when it comes to shielding.

Reaction score
    Turret and entities above. In case someone dock something to that turret, who knows ? Be more precise.
    I could have sworn that everywhere I read said that turrets NEVER get the parent's shields, but from my experience, turrets behave like all other docked entities when it comes to shielding.
    It was the case before rails but that is pretty old now.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. Turrets receive 100% of ship shields?
    2. Shield in turret only protect the turret?
    As I Recall:

1) Turrets are protected by the ship/station's shields until said shields reach 25%, at which point the turrets are exposed but the ship is not.
    2) Shields only protect their current level and up. So shields in the barrel would protect the barrel but not the base. So if you're going to put shields on your turrets, put them in the base to protect both halves.
    3) I'm not actually sure on this one, I always give my turrets large enough to be worth shielding their own power and rechargers so that they function completely independently of the ship.
    4) Not sure.
    5) No, things only flow up, not down. Docked entities cannot send power or shields to things they are docked to. Used to be able to do this, but it caused a lot of problems with docked reactors breaking servers.

Reaction score
    No, no, and no.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just something which crossed my mind:

If you put ion on turrets and let it draw from ship's shields, will it be more efficient to power the ion because the turret has a smaller mass than the ship?
    Can I dock the hull to the ship to avoid that interiors increase the energy demands of ionized shields?

Reaction score
    Wait, so weren't fighters' only purpose to take out unprotected turrets everyone said? But they are shielded? So fighters are completely pointless?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Turret and entities above. In case someone dock something to that turret, who knows ? Be more precise.
    True, if someone docks another thing to a turret, it gets the shields as well. Usually, the only thing docked to a turret base is the turret's barrel, with the secondary use being a rail-basic-docked rail turret adapter to let them stick a smaller turret on a big turret and have it work.

Wait, so weren't fighters' only purpose to take out unprotected turrets everyone said? But they are shielded? So fighters are completely pointless?
    Fighters, with fleets being a thing, now serve as an en masse attack force. They're a cheap and - if built well - effective means of force multiplication, leaving the enemy with many targets to remove to eliminate your fighting ability. Well-built small craft can destroy large vessels while totaling up to a fraction of the larger ship's mass. With the HP update some time back, larger ships take more damage from having a block destroyed than a small ship, which helps facilitate the fighters' new role.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, I think it's a matter of timing. They can attack the turrets directly after a main battleship cannon (or whatever weapon) has knocked out the main shields.

After all, if a ship has 20 turrets, but the main ship's shields go down to 25% or less, even if one or two turrets get annihilated, the other 18 turrets still need to be handled. With the main ship shields down, those remaining turrets only have their own shield coverage to protect them from fighters. Also excess fighter hits might be enough to keep the shields from recharging, depending on the target's combat-reduced recharge rate.

Reaction score
    Hm, I feel like fighters are less useful than I imagined though, unless it is a carrier drone swarm.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Hm, I feel like fighters are less useful than I imagined though, unless it is a carrier drone swarm.
    Literally the only difference between a fighter and a drone is that a fighter has a fleshy occupant.

A fighter was never meant to take out turrets after shields have dropped, you would just use one of your main weapons to do that.

Fighters don't really have a reason to exist, except as Tydeth stated. About 40% of a ship's mass in drones/fighters will kill that ship.

Reaction score
    Literally the only difference between a fighter and a drone is that a fighter has a fleshy occupant.

A fighter was never meant to take out turrets after shields have dropped, you would just use one of your main weapons to do that.

Fighters don't really have a reason to exist, except as Tydeth stated. About 40% of a ship's mass in drones/fighters will kill that ship.
    I have to agree with you given beams are buffed. 5k fighter with a very good pilot could avoid most cannons and missiles and snipe of turrets which could turn the battle over if the main ships are at parity. Now if beams become a bigger part in turret packages. I doubt these top notch pilots can deal with instant hit weapons
    [doublepost=1486414454,1486413132][/doublepost]Personally for shields, I still try to put some in. Even ams gets 1 recharger. I thought it worked like power where if you fired at the turret itl take from turrets shields, then check if parent had 25% + then take from parent.. never personally tested it as either way those turret shields are very much just added protection from drones/missile missile spam. But I'm also not big on the 20k+ turrets people dream up

Reaction score
    Just something which crossed my mind:

If you put ion on turrets and let it draw from ship's shields, will it be more efficient to power the ion because the turret has a smaller mass than the ship?
    Can I dock the hull to the ship to avoid that interiors increase the energy demands of ionized shields?
    No, the ion has to go on the same entity that has the shields.

What you can do is have a separate entity for your shields to save mass for ion.

Reaction score
    passive effects still also require manual activation to i believe. ai still cant turn them on

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Ion effect is shield specific, so if the turret has ion and the parent does not then while the turret is sharing the parents shields ion will NOT be applied, once the turret is being defended by its own shields ion WILL be applied.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    While Ion only affects the shield of the entity that it's on. That's not to say you can't put ion on a turret "without" shields. All entities have a native 220 shield on them, they just need re-chargers to take advantage of this. So just slap a re-charger block on your turret. Now you can install a defensive Ion system on your turret for much cheaper than putting Ion in your mother ship. And since the turret will always use it's own shields first, the Ion will always get applied before the damage is eventually absorbed by your mother-ship's shields.

The turret ion wont protect the mother-ship but seeing how turrets are frequently targeted by AI drones and turrets, this is a good way of focusing fire to Ion protected targets.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps someone will make a detector for which part is currently under attack to activate ion only on this entity.
    But if AI currently cannot activate it, it's pointless (maybe also later because of 0.5 seconds steps for logic).​

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And this is different from reality and every science fiction film ever made... how?

The Rebels didn't send a single X-Wing to take out the Death Star, they sent a fleet. The Rebels didn't send a single cruiser to take out the second Death Star, they sent an even bigger fleet.

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, they didn't send a single bomber, they sent an entire squadron.

When the Allies attacked Normandy, they didn't send one soldier with a rifle, they sent thousands.

It was Space Battleship Yamato, not Space Fighter Yamato.

Battlestar Galactica carried a fleet of Vipers, they didn't shove everybody into a single transport pod.

Fighters are small, weak, and disposable in every medium.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Usually, you choose fighters for a few reasons:
    If the enemy weapons overkill.
    If you need for the same speed a thinner shape (evasion).
    If you want to mess up targeting systems.​