How to prevent dual power-supply beams of becoming synchronous?

Reaction score
    Hi.

I am building "power supply turrets". After reading some post on here, I decided to try the dual "straight" power supply beam design, instead of just one with canon slave. I use one "clock loop", where the loop is like 3 seconds, and the beams are activated at opposite ends of the loop, to keep the activation interval fixed.

Unfortunately, although I can track the logic block being activated, and see that there really is like 3 seconds differences between the block activating the first beam and the second beam, after eventually I get a "power outage" (which WILL happen in servers, due to lag-from-hell), and they end up activating "synchronously", which makes no sense to me. It's like if one beam decide, "from now on, I'll wait 2 seconds after I was activated to actually fire".

Atm, I cannot see any way of preventing that. I tried having delays as slave from the first power supply computer, to activate the second, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Any other idea to prevent this?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Don't use dual power supply beam systems.

Reaction score
    Ouch. Brutally honest.
    Ways around it? Operate them on separate logic clocks, linked only by having the same trigger mechanism. They're small enough that it's less of a bother than building a lag-proof system (there is none).

Reaction score
    Operate them on separate logic clocks, linked only by having the same trigger mechanism.
    That's how I started. It seem conceptually easiest, but got the effect mentioned above. So I switched to one single clock loop. No change; still same issue. So I gave up and asked here.

Looks like single supply+canon-slave is the only way to go, or at least the one that gives the "smoothest" supply with minimal issues under lag.

Reaction score
    Then two separate clocks are probably in order, if you want a repeater. That, or just do as told like a good little Starmadian, and build one rapidfire supply beam because you can't defeat THE LAG!
    Idk, good luck. That's all the ideas I've got.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I've found that supply beam/cannon is the best way to go, generally. But there are certain advantages to using a larger pool of energy capacitors and just one, more powerful, beam. The pro of this kind of setup, compared to cannon slaves, is that because it isn't continually firing, it's more EMP proof. Even if it does get forced into energy failure due to an EMP blast, it will pause and allow the capacitors to refill. Whereas a cannon slaved system will continually fire, keeping the entity below 0.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ive given up on building with reactors for the time being (unless its been fixed of course).
    As soon as I dock a reactor its power/sec drops by OVER HALF...... (tested) regardless of what its docked too.
    Incorrect power draw-age also was a problem.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed:?
    I mean my Titan with turrents that drain 25 mill e/s (for a total of 50 mill/s) is totaly not Op right.... (if the power draw age even worked).....