How to make Warheads usfull

Make warheads sheild intolorent

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hello fellow adventureers of the cosmos and other places in the great beyond I yes me Captain Nautlius has come up with an idea to make warheads usfull, its simple, make it so they ignore shields, all shields no matter what, this way those pesky stationary mines have a use.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello fellow adventureers of the cosmos and other places in the great beyond I yes me Captain Nautlius has come up with an idea to make warheads usfull, its simple, make it so they ignore shields, all shields no matter what, this way those pesky stationary mines have a use.
    That would be a griefers wet dream.

Reaction score
    Dear god no, for the same reason Sven said. See Minecraft and how grievers use TNT to troll. Warheads could be made useful by making them a little more powerful. But at the same time, the only thing making them not useful is not being able to launch them using logic.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There should just be a "warhead" AI setting and they would be usable. Compared to "ship", this setting would imply the following behavior:

- AI will not make quick unpredictable turns
    - AI will focus on ramming the target with ALL thrust available (not the mediocre AI thrust usage we have now)

Reaction score
    I did not even think of greifers at the time I just wanted better warheads.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Just let them give damage to shields. Currently, it's the same point as missiles on the old universe, zero damage.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    While there may be a nevagive aspect of the idea, allow me to focus on the positives.

Making warheads bypass shields will allow such things as-

Breaching charges

Minefields

New forms of shipboard weaponry

More depth to the game

Gives them a point to exist

Awesome logic-based missiles

As to the concerns that they will be utilized by griefers, homebases and docked entities will still have their invulnerability, so the downside only really affects people dumb enough to leave something big enough to catch someone's eye near spawn unattended.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    While there may be a nevagive aspect of the idea, allow me to focus on the positives.

Making warheads bypass shields will allow such things as-

Breaching charges

Minefields

New forms of shipboard weaponry

More depth to the game

Gives them a point to exist

Awesome logic-based missiles

As to the concerns that they will be utilized by griefers, homebases and docked entities will still have their invulnerability, so the downside only really affects people dumb enough to leave something big enough to catch someone's eye near spawn unattended.
    Or people who like to explore and can't always make it back to their base.
    Or factions without a giant ass base to dock everything.
    Or people who are tired of the cowardice that is docking everything to an invincible structure, which can become vulnerable on servers that allow that.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There's the issue that you could already destroy and steal a ship using conventional weaponry, therefore that kind of gets rid of most of the greifing arguments.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    but it would be MUCH easier.

for example, a titan:

If you try to destroy it with conventional weaponry, you will need a similarly sized ship to destroy its shields and hit the core.(which is expensive to get a large ship of course)

But with this all you need is luck to find an undocked titan and 30k credits to steal it. (i once found an undocked and unfactioned UNSC Infinity or a Spirit of Fire, dont remember)

True, its the titans owner fault for leaving it undocked, but you should not be able to find an unmanned/idle person in a titan, shoot a warhead torpedo and steal it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just let them give damage to shields. Currently, it's the same point as missiles on the old universe, zero damage.
    They already do damage shields, I'm not sure how much but they do seem quite powerful. Of course I don't build breadnaughts so everything is relative.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    They already do damage shields, I'm not sure how much but they do seem quite powerful. Of course I don't build breadnaughts so everything is relative.
    I've tested them against small ships (40k~10k mass) with an equally-sized chunk of those blocks, and they did nothing, only blew up itself.

Either they give zero damage to shields or the damage is so irrelevant that the regen gets it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've tested them against small ships (40k~10k mass) with an equally-sized chunk of those blocks, and they did nothing, only blew up itself.

Either they give zero damage to shields or the damage is so irrelevant that the regen gets it
    Was this ship docked? There seems to be a bug where they wont damage docked entities. I couldn't even blow up small turrets until they were dislodged from the mother-ship.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Was this ship docked? There seems to be a bug where they wont damage docked entities. I couldn't even blow up small turrets until they were dislodged from the mother-ship.
    Nope, they were not docked to anything. And I did it on a build server that uses vanilla cfgs

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    but it would be MUCH easier.

for example, a titan:

If you try to destroy it with conventional weaponry, you will need a similarly sized ship to destroy its shields and hit the core.(which is expensive to get a large ship of course)

But with this all you need is luck to find an undocked titan and 30k credits to steal it. (i once found an undocked and unfactioned UNSC Infinity or a Spirit of Fire, dont remember)

True, its the titans owner fault for leaving it undocked, but you should not be able to find an unmanned/idle person in a titan, shoot a warhead torpedo and steal it
    If you find an undocked titan, without AI making it move, you can shoot at it till it pops, might take a while, but if he is offline it doesn't really matter.

I don't know, it just seems like a cheap excuse to speed things up and increase the dependency on invincible homebases (because cloakers + warheads could cripple stations otherwise as well).
    I dunno, if they were launchable from ships and there was something on the ship (aside from basic turrets) that could prevent or minimize damage that could be disabled with something like EMP. Anything that makes it more than just "her-der, mien noa".

Make it viable in battle above anything else. Give stations a power soft cap and shield multiplier and make them an anti-station weapon since stations just got god awfully strong or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Im sure that making a torpedo with 10 warhead blocks is easier than making a ship with over 200k DPS(to counter the titans reduced shield regen for getting shot)

Reaction score

They /do/ damage shields. The main issue is that warheads don't detonate reliably. When they worked during my own tests, They did about 40-80k shield damage. Those "small" ships typically have a shield regen rate in the tens of thousands and a cap within the millions, which could still be irrelevant, I guess.

They do ignore the shields of whatever they are attached to, but due to this you can't place them on enemy ships

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd rather encourage ships being LESS destructible first. Having a vessel that could be breached at any moment by some chump in a stealthy disintegrator stick is not my idea of a good time.

I'll just slap everything on my homebase so I CANNOT lose it. :)

Reaction score
    Or make another object called landmine that can only be equipped to a ship that does not have thrusters or logic, forcing it to be used as a well. landmine/ space mine.