How to make ships using blender and Smedit?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Realy a simple question. Also can it be done with any other 3D softwere like sketchup? I has a lot of questions but i can't seem to find a nice tutorial.

How are dimensions calculated? How is the core placed etc....

Burn me in the spawn shop if there is a sinmilar new thred

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dunno, but last I saw SMEdit was abandoned and not compatible with the current version of the game anyway. But as a 3D modeler myself, it shouldn't matter what program you use as long as the file is in the correct format.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And that format would be? I'm not so fammiliar with data formats even though i have been making 3D models for a while now :/

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And that format would be? I'm not so fammiliar with data formats even though i have been making 3D models for a while now :/
    Dunno, only version of SMEdit I ever found was infected with spy/ad-ware so I never even fully installed it. Later I saw that it was abandoned and that the only way to make it work was to roll your copy of the game back to a now even more out of date version, load stuff in, then roll the game forwards again.

I would assume it imported standard .obj though.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can use binvox to convert a 3D file into a voxel object. Then you can either use viewvox (from the same site) to build it manually or export it as a schematic file, which can be imported by SMEdit. But you'll probably need a very old version of StarMade that is compatible with SMEdit.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Make ship in blender, export as .obj file then load it in most recent version of SMEdit which will then ask you what you want your ships longst dimension to be. As long as you leave it as hull then it works with the current version of starmade just fine.

Reaction score
    To add to the previous post, you can't re-edit the schematic in smedit after it has been used in a newer version of starmade (conversions and all). So be weary that exporting from smedit is a one way trip. (make sure the core is in the right location and you like the size, basically)
    As for your other questions:
    The core will be placed in the exact center of the ship's max dimension box at first but can be moved relatively easily (should be google-able).
    As long as the end result is an .obj file, you can use any 3D modelling program you want.
    Last thing, conversion from polygons to voxels is usually quite messy, you will be doing a lot of cleanup afterwards in game.