Recognized by Council How to make asteroid mining more thrilling

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well... I feel that if bees came out of asteroids every time you tried to mine them, it would only serve to delay the inevitable.... or the player would just blast the asteroids to bits in order to not deal with them... or bring a larger ship and mine as usual. As if the current horde of Isanths aren't challenging enough for starting players! lol

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    A lot of the issue with asteroid mining is when you jack up the sector size, the asteroid spawning doesn't scale with that. That means that most of the time you spend while asteroid mining will be spent moving between sectors, and that is pretty boring. When you have default sectors (or slightly larger) it's easy to move between asteroid fields without JDs.

I've always been down for random events when asteroid mining tho. Or even mega-asteroids that are the size of stations (and can be used as such!). +1

Reactions: JNC

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I rated the post funny because of that wonderful comic, props on that! :D

It would be interesting if asteroids had some nasty uglies lurking inside. Maybe something that would only apply to asteroids that players would only care about once they have a ship with good enough weapons, though (like Tekt ones)?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Also, imagine not-so-horrible creatures being accidentally abducted by the salvage beam. Suddenly your hard-won cargo is being munched-on by rapidly-multiplying tribbles or rock-eaters. Could be a job for NPCs.
    Superhero_npc.png

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Love the notion of some forum of space fauna living in or being protective of asteroids! Great post!

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hey, what if Space Whale eggs got layed on asteroids? Shooting them by mistake with salvage beams would hatch them and angry Whales would ram your ship! :D

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe debugging could make a good game mechanic. Debugging with lasers. If only it were that simple.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Maybe debugging could make a good game mechanic. Debugging with lasers. If only it were that simple.
    Sure it is. If you shoot you computer with lasers, you will never have bugs, lag, or crashes again!