How to get an asteroid blueprint?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Does anyone know of a way to get a blueprint of an asteroid?

I'd like to start a new home base that is build into/on an asteroid shell, but apparently you cannot put a build block on an asteroid, nor can you get one as part of a dropping a station on it.

Really don't want to have to build an entire asteroid of that size by hand...

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Does anyone know of a way to get a blueprint of an asteroid?

I'd like to start a new home base that is build into/on an asteroid shell, but apparently you cannot put a build block on an asteroid, nor can you get one as part of a dropping a station on it.

Really don't want to have to build an entire asteroid of that size by hand...
    What therimmer96 said, and you can acquire a blueprint of any entity, by not being in a ship/station, having the entity of your desire selected, and using /save blueprintName

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What therimmer96 said, and you can acquire a blueprint of any entity, by not being in a ship/station, having the entity of your desire selected, and using /save blueprintName
    Thats the bit of information I didn't have. Already got the blueprint converter, just didn't know how to get a blueprint of an asteroid of any kind in order to feed into it. Perfecto, thanks!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    is it possible to copy/save an asteroid? Would really help make asteroid fields for my videos if I could just load a asteroid and paste it on a ship/station

Reaction score
    Couldn't you build your station and then use the Adv. Build to bulk out cubes before scaling it all down bit by bit to reduce the labour required.

(Also wouldn't having to mine into an existing asteroid be just as time consuming as building one around a completed station?)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Couldn't you build your station and then use the Adv. Build to bulk out cubes before scaling it all down bit by bit to reduce the labour required.

(Also wouldn't having to mine into an existing asteroid be just as time consuming as building one around a completed station?)
    The proceduraly generated asteroids have a look that would be quite difficult to replicate at full scale by hand.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432650667,1432649331][/DOUBLEPOST]
    is it possible to copy/save an asteroid? Would really help make asteroid fields for my videos if I could just load a asteroid and paste it on a ship/station
    Well I'm assuming that if you can save the blueprint and run it through the converter to make a station out of it, then you could simply copy/paste it from the station build mode once you spawn it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Update: No dice, using the /save command on an asteroid does not result in a viable blueprint file to convert with.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The proceduraly generated asteroids have a look that would be quite difficult to replicate at full scale by hand.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432650667,1432649331][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well I'm assuming that if you can save the blueprint and run it through the converter to make a station out of it, then you could simply copy/paste it from the station build mode once you spawn it.
    actually i ment copy it and save it as a template. tried saving an asteroid as blueprint before and had the same thing happen

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    how about taking the files from within the game directory? Would that work? (i'm just spit-balling but lets just say I have invested interest in this project...)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    how about taking the files from within the game directory? Would that work? (i'm just spit-balling but lets just say I have invested interest in this project...)
    If you can figure out how, I'll be all ears.

Really want to have a good 5-6k mass asteroid that isn't just a generic blob shape to build my base in/around.

Reaction score
    in Av Build can you use the copy feature to copy entities that are not part of the entity in build mode? I can't test this atm as I'm away from my Game PC, but if you got into ship A and used Av Build could you copy a section of Ship B (Or Asteroid)?

Reaction score
    Can't someone write code to generate and save a file for the same type of proceeduraly generated asteroids? That would allow a lot more creative control on the resulting entity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    How about this:
    Get a 100x100x100 cube
    Shoot missiles at the sides of the cube.
    Viola, a fake asteroid! :D

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    in Av Build can you use the copy feature to copy entities that are not part of the entity in build mode? I can't test this atm as I'm away from my Game PC, but if you got into ship A and used Av Build could you copy a section of Ship B (Or Asteroid)?
    Nope, anything not in the structure you're in build mode for is inaccessible as far as it's blocks go. Its currently an abusable feature though as you can still fly through things, which means you can take a stealth ship, go into build mode, and just fly through an enemy's base looking for their faction block to know exactly where to strike.