How to efficiently copy/paste in advanced build?

Reaction score
    Can someone tell me if there is a way to copy/paste without having to fiddle with it for 5 minutes every time you have to copy something?

My issue is that when I copy something from lets say "front-top-right corner", then when i try to paste the selection. It will be made from the "back-left-bottom corner". Why does it work this way? It makes no sense and it is so frustrating to either extend builds or to mirror something that is already built.
    Also is there an option to rotate copied entity? As in if I want to rotate it 90 degree and make a vertical build horizontal for example?

Here are some screenshots illustrating my issue, in case the above post doesn't make sense.
    Copy from the orange marker:

Paste from the opposite corner >.< :

It would be really great if when I copied something from the marker and then pasted it by clicking at the same marker. It would just paste the object in the same exact place from which it was copied.
    Because right now I have to build another marker at the back of the ship. Fiddle with its position for couple of minutes so that everything is matching up. And then I can paste it to where I want it to be.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Also is there an option to rotate copied entity? As in if I want to rotate it 90 degree and make a vertical build horizontal for example?
    You can rotate using the left CTRL + Mouse wheel over x and y axis. You may need to roll it a couple of times to get the correct position.

Because right now I have to build another marker at the back of the ship
    Yeah thats what i do add a support structure then paste onto that. I don't know of any another way to do this.

You can set mirror lines while pasting to build faster. Some users have whole templates of pre made structures to quickly build ships. Like prefab housing.

Here is an example from the Community Content:

Skylord Luke Copy/paste TEMPLATES

Last edited:

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Using the exact dimensions you need to Copy/Paste helps me.

You can make sure there are blocks placed in the corners of your copy dimensions if your are going to repeat a pattern.

Sometimes i Place many blocks in the area where i think the template will line up and delete them until it matches up.

I use a lot of support structure with blocks i never use so it is easy to delete them.

The More you work with SM copy paste the easier it gets.

Reaction score
    I know how template works, but that doesn't really help me right now. All I need to do is mirror the top of my ship to the bottom. And yeah I should have built it with the mirror planes in the first place, but I had a different vision of it back then.
    Now building a frame isn't really helping either. Because if I need to copy something bigger than 50x50x50 it is just nearly impossible to find the right block somewhere in the middle of the ship to paste it onto.
    I thought that maybe using the replace tool would work, but unfortunately when you replace blocks it doesn't actually act like placing blocks. So they are not mirrored ont he other side of the plane.
    So pretty much the only thing that i can think of is just removing and replacing blocks one by one till i have the whole thing mirrored. Oh boy am I looking forward to that. >.<

Jarraff
    Thats the whole point that I can't use the exact dimmensions, because my ship is bigger than that. And 50x50x50 already causes my game to drop to 3 fps. I really wish it would just paste it from the same place that you copied it. Would make everything so much easier.

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Minecraft Worldedit had this copy/paste working perfectly years ago. It is very simple.

When you made a copy of an area the bounding box showed you where to put the 'reference-block' (bottom-right corner I think). All you had to do was add a single reference-block in the corner then copy the area. When you were pasting into a new location you would place a block where you thought the reference block would be, then paste onto it. The area filled in the same orientation on paste. If you were out it was usually only by one meter and It was clear how to shift your paste on the second try. (Remove reference block when done.)

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    I know how template works, but that doesn't really help me right now. All I need to do is mirror the top of my ship to the bottom. And yeah I should have built it with the mirror planes in the first place, but I had a different vision of it back then.
    Now building a frame isn't really helping either. Because if I need to copy something bigger than 50x50x50 it is just nearly impossible to find the right block somewhere in the middle of the ship to paste it onto.
    I thought that maybe using the replace tool would work, but unfortunately when you replace blocks it doesn't actually act like placing blocks. So they are not mirrored ont he other side of the plane.
    So pretty much the only thing that i can think of is just removing and replacing blocks one by one till i have the whole thing mirrored. Oh boy am I looking forward to that. >.<

Jarraff
    Thats the whole point that I can't use the exact dimmensions, because my ship is bigger than that. And 50x50x50 already causes my game to drop to 3 fps. I really wish it would just paste it from the same place that you copied it. Would make everything so much easier.

I misunderstood. If I need to copy something larger than my build dimensions i will lay out 3d grid lines so i know exactly where to cut and paste. It can be time consuming. I wish there was a way to select and area and push a button like mirror x y or z and BAM your selected area is mirrored about your desired plane.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As I said in your post on Steam, the paste anchor will be the rear, bottom, right of the bounding box.

Just create the paste point ahead of time, building out from the back to one block further back than the rear, bottom, right of the bounding box. I usually delete the scaffold leading up to the paste point as I go, so the front face of the paste point is exposed. With mirroring on, copy, then paste on the on the new paste point, right over top the original.

Reaction score
    But that is the whole problem that the paste anchor is not the same as copy anchor. Which would make sense if it was, otherwise it is just making it overly complicated to copy/paste.
    How am I supposed to build the paste anchor ahead of time if I don't know where it will end up at? This is the issue here, that I can't find the right paste anchor without fidling with it for several minutes. And if the paste anchor is somehere inside of the ship I would have to strip the whole thing down to reveal it.
    If I am copying something that is smaller than maximum copy dimensions then it is much easier to do although still annoying with having to build two different anchor points. It is the same exact issue that build/remove have in this game, where the anchors for building is in the opposite place to the anchor of removing blocks. Which makes it a tadd more difficult to quickly build/remove blocks in bigger dimensions.
    Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean? Could you post a screenshot of how you do it?

At the end of the day, it is a copy/paste system that is just not very good and is overly complicated for no reason. There are plenty of other 3D editors that made it much easier to copy/paste. For example various minecraft world editors as someone have already mentioned.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree, the system needs to be improved, but you wanted to know how it works. Here is an example with 27 images:

Reaction score
    Load into single player, after you have edited your config to increase advanced mode x y z size to your ship size. Copy and paste in one hit

Reaction score
    I agree, the system needs to be improved, but you wanted to know how it works. Here is an example with 27 images:

This is pretty much what I have been doing, except I'm building the anchors as I go instead of prebuilding them. And even then I find it easier to just do most of it by hand. I'll do the "outlines" and then fill everything up with advanced building. And again if the anchor ends up somewhere in the middle of my reacotr or something it is just a pain.
    I hoped there would be some kind of trick to make it work better.

Oh and I am fully aware of how the system works. I am just unhappy with the way it work.

Load into single player, after you have edited your config to increase advanced mode x y z size to your ship size. Copy and paste in one hit
    Like I said. This is not really an option. 50x50x50 already causes a severe lag and I'm pretty sure that trying to copy a 50x400x200 would just crash my game.

I made a suggestion to massively improve copy-pasting quite a while ago. I wish people would bump it from time to time. :rolleyes:
    That is a pretty good idea. I hope they will improve copy/paset in nearby future.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Lag the game? Offline? Do you play on a toaster?

Major refits or redesigns should be done locally with a bp upload to a server

Reaction score

Thank you for that passive-aggressive comment that is not contributing anything whatsoever. Now go be a jerk someplace else.

Reactions: BillGHero

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10

big pastes lag no matter what kind of computer you're on

Reaction score
    Yes but its one paste.
    Do you hate lag that much for one paste.

I too have done the 1 fps dance to get that one paste to land. Click, undo, click undo. You wanted a solution, by the sounds of it you'll only be happy if you upload the bp and ask someone else to fix your mistake for you.

Do you want me to play the game for you too!

There I think I removed enough passive from the aggressive for you.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Yes but its one paste.
    Do you hate lag that much for one paste.

I too have done the 1 fps dance to get that one paste to land. Click, undo, click undo. You wanted a solution, by the sounds of it you'll only be happy if you upload the bp and ask someone else to fix your mistake for you.

Do you want me to play the game for you too!

There I think I removed enough passive from the aggressive for you.
    Can you be saly somwhere else? This forum really doesnt need that.

Reactions: BillGHero
    Reaction score
    These suggestions are what I, too, think the game urgently needs. The current system is unnecessarily cumbersome, to put it short, and only works for small jobs. Not having power over the orientation of the copy box or where the paste anchor is gets out of hand.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Imho Copy-Paste function needs an offset function, something like the MCEdit has... Starmade would have it even better with the rotation locking while holding ctrl.

Maybe it could be that you hold some button and use wasd+qe to move the offset around.